Fire bad. (Fire extinguishers)

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by oil pan 4, Jun 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Most of those Restaurant Cleaning companies can either refill , or exchange your extinguishers fairly cheap ,,,

2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Was looking at fire retardant paint with the idea to paint it onto some functional shutters I'm wanting to build. Everything I'm seeing says for indoor jobs. Anyone know if there's fire retardant paint for exterior?

3. Shortly after JoAnn and Angie moved in (Wife and step daughter) I had a fire safety class at work. That week end I got new Extinguishers for in the house, and took an old one out to discard (it had bled down a little). So I showed 12 year old Angie what I had been taught. PASS, P(pull the pin). A (aim the nozzle). S(squeeze the lever). S(sweep the discharge across the base of the fire). Many years later we were watching a show about fire safety, they got to extinguishers. Now thirty+ year old Angie pipes up with PASS pull aim squeeze sweep. Her mother didn't know what it meant but I felt really proud that she remembered from that long before

crowdaddy, Idahoser, arleigh and 3 others like this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It is those that learn to act in an emergency before it escalates.
    All too often people freeze like a deer in headlights.
    Training and practice hone the skills home.

5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

We have dry chems in every bedroom,kitchen, and the mudroom. Storage buildings, reloading building, shop and gun shop all have them as well as our trucks.

TnAndy likes this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Shoot, I have been to more firefighting schools than I can remember,Not to mention helicopter water survival schools.
    Get strapped in with a bug-eyed dude,You know hes the first to panic....and hurt other people at the very least...
    Right about the time the helicopter simulator rolls underwater,Dudes loose their shetzs !!!

Tully Mars likes this.
  7. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

All ABC. One in the kitchen, two in the basement garage, one in the pickup.

Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

My old steel tank CO2 fire extinguisher from the 1960s developed a leak. No parts available it would appear to fix it. So I got a new 20lb aluminum one. 500 gd dollars!
    The price on those has gone up. They quoted me $360 about 10 to 12 years ago for a new one but then this gentlemanly used one from the 1960s I have now came available.
    It was $140 to $150 and I got about 11 years out of it. It has pipe threads so it will go on to live as a CO2 welding tank.

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  9. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  10. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Seem to be lots of reports of "the water was shutoff or had no pressure".
    They are definitely trying to hide stuff, it comes out a week later that all the multimillion dollar empty mansions are all perfectly untouched well we know where all the water pressure went. The police won't let any reporters in unless it's fake news CNN. Won't let people fly drones, they are threatening to arrest independent journalists. There's only been one helicopter fly over that's released footage.
    If you want people to think there's some kind of conspiracy this is exactly what you do.

Have water and have a way to pump it.

Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

New fire extinguisher idea.
    I got the cone and hose from my 1960s decommissioned fire extinguisher. Which the tank is a 15lb co2 cga320 tank now.
    I'm going to attach the old cone to my 50lb dip tube co2 tank. I normally use this tank to fill little tanks it will have anywhere from 10 to 50lb in it, so when it's not in use it will be a 50lb mega extinguisher. All I'll need is a $12 cga320 to 1/4npt nipple.
    The 50lb tank should never have less than 10 or 15 pounds in it. It's still got at least 30 in it now.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
    Zimmy and SB21 like this.
  13. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I have a 5 lb with a nozzle I turned. I just turn it upside down and open the valve. I had to use it a week after I made it on a hydraulic oil fire in my shop. Worked great and worked fast to put out the small fire and only used about half the contents. 50 lbs should put out a house fire lol.

14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Screenshot_20230901-205807~2.
    Screenshot_20230901-210549~2.

15. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Funniest thing I ever heard of was on my first ship. Regardless of your training or experience, when you see smoke or fire coming from some place you don't want to see it, you're gonna feel a little bit of panic.
    Guy on my ship was on watch, middle of the night, when the steam turbine generator's condensate pump motor started letting out all the magic smoke inside of it. He called away the fire, secured power to the motor, then grabbed the first extinguisher that came into sight, and quenched the fire. Then worked on getting the spare turbine generator on line.
    Problem was, the extinguisher he'd used was put there for quick knockdown of a bilge fire, and was commonly known as a PKP, or "purple K" dry chemical fire extinguisher. VERY effective for knocking out a fire! But also VERY corrosive, to the windings inside that motor! :eek:

Yeah, the electrician who had to rewind that motor was NOT a happy camper! :whistle::ROFLMAO:

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

purple ''k''= salt

CraftyMofo likes this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If it was smoking the windings were toast.
    Biggest motor I had catch on fire for me was a 700hp on an ammonia compressor.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. chelloveck
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. phorisc
  5. phorisc
  6. Ganado
  7. chelloveck
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7