Fire

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by RightHand, Sep 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That is so cool. I have to try this. Thanks for posting @RightHand

3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You watch the part about making and using a pump drill. That would save vast amounts of energy

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    Cruisin Sloth, Hanzo and Motomom34 like this.
  4. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

pretty neat ..
    I wonder if it is just gum wrappers on will foil work also ...
    @Motomom34 .. don't u dare burn your fingers ... LOL

UncleMorgan, Motomom34 and RightHand like this.
  5. RightHand

With that in mind, I guess the next topic should be survival burn treatment :D

chelloveck, Hanzo, Brokor and 3 others like this.
  6. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I have the text for burn care;).. Just sayin.. Could have it uploaded in a second if your currently playing with fire..:rolleyes:

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

The foil side of the gum wrapper carries the current from the battery, and heats up until the paper side combusts. Straight foil will not catch fire, but will singe and melt at higher temperatures.

chelloveck, Motomom34 and Hanzo like this.
  8. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Mega-cool!! What a great trick to have when you need it.

One thought, tho: When you cut the gum wrapper, cut the middle part to 4mm width instead of 2. Then split the wrapper lengthwise. Presto: TWO fire starters instead of one!

9. UncleMorgan

A bow drill is especially good for those who can't kneel easily to hold a fireboard under one foot as they make fire the old-fashioned way. And it's good for beginners because "the machine does the work" do there's no anxiety about whether or not they're doing it right. It's a great way for kids to build confidence.

Drilling a hole thru a rock is not easy, but tying a sock full of dirt onto a spindle is. And the weight will be fine if you add a little water to the mix. (Just like making a CIA mud club!)

RightHand likes this.
  10. UncleMorgan

I'd be willing to bet it would work just fine if you wrapped the thin part of the foil with paper or some other tinder.
    Heat is heat, and a spark is a spark. All you have to do is put them where the tinder is.

Foil may be a little thicker than a gum wrapper, though, so cut it really thin at the center.

This is a test you can do at the kitchen table. No wilderness required.

11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

How many of you folks burned all kinds of crap when you found out you could start a fire with a 9v battery and some steel wool?

[touchdown]

Ganado, chelloveck, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  12. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

My brother set his pants on fire in public, with a 9vt battery, the change in his pocket and a book of matches.
    The change shorted the battery, and got hot enough to set off the matches. We stripped him publicly, to the amusement of several ladies.

Ganado, Brokor and chelloveck like this.
  13. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

how many poeple went out last nite and bout 1000 packs of gum and 500 batteries so they have a 104747265785678 way to start fires

RightHand, chelloveck and oldawg like this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Exactly what it does. The guy in the video doesn't have on gloves. The battery gets hot. We tried this many times and only got smoke. Did anyone have success with this? My advice is to have gloves, leather recommended.

KAS likes this.
  1. Illini Warrior
  2. DKR
  3. Ura-Ki
  4. Ganado
  5. Merkun
  6. DuxDawg
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Jsharp865
  11. DKR