FiveFingers- Out with the old...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Hanzo, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

@kellory great points... and my thinking exactly... you shred your feet or you get an infection and your mobility is done...

I know a bunch of you have bags for going... do you also have a spare pair of shoes... I always tell women (forget the "Bull Monkeys" they can tough it out) to keep a pair of old tennis shoes in the trunk or by their desks... running down flights of stairs in an emergency in high heels is not good... then over debris and sharp glass... yikes... or even a long walk along a highway after the car stalls ... well you get my point....

I suggest you keep some precut horse stall mat in your bag... won't take much room... thinner stuff won't weigh much... lies flat... punch some holes and you have sandals with paracord... can be used for a number of things including splints etc.... better traction than any foam or plastic you might already have in your bag or pack and you can just replace what's already there... not at cushy but it breathes and pads...

Any one wanna see what I mean? ;) I'll take some pics later if you do.......
    JMHO
    Bear

Ganado, Yard Dart, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Hanzo and Bear like this.
  3. Bear

@kellory Cool... I like wearable gear... my steel toe ( almost cut off my toe once ... yeah I was dumb but learned a good lesson ) hiking boots have 10 feet of paracord laces on each boot... minus some to make sure I can still lace them... and that's probably about 150 feet of usable cord... (7 inner and 1 outer)

Honestly though... I like firesteels or ferro rods... but I don't like how they pit and turn to dust over time... use them all the time kind of application... they are great... buy store and forget till you need them... I have deep concerns about that.... JMHO

Hanzo likes this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Yeah, I had to pry my foot out of a steel toe with a hammer once as well, (27stiches later) and will not wear them unless required on site. I have lighter, better fitting boots for day to day use. Steeltoes remain on the truck.

And speaking of firesteels.....;)

Bear and Hanzo like this.
  5. Bear

@kellory firesteels? @Hanzo and I were talking about a scraper for his ferro rod... grind and sharpen to be a mini kiridashi too... multi use.... and also another multi purpose tool... I was thinking of a straight fire steel... no fancy handle or curl... just steel with an edge and point and hole for a lanyard... small size... multi purpose... gotta get a couple projects I promised out... but after that I'm thinking I may just do proto typing for all the great ideas that are out there ;) faster turn around... stuff I can do and finish within a day....

Hanzo likes this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

You know what would be super functional is the kiridashi scraper with jute wrap, maybe around the sheath, with a firesteel with a fatwood handle. May not be the prettiest, but you'd be good to go. Especially if the kiridashi was carbon steel and would also work with flint.

Sapper John, Witch Doctor 01 and Bear like this.
  7. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Hanzo likes this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Brokor likes this.
  9. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Oh man. My wife won't touch mine.

Hanzo likes this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I'm blessed. Usually if they require cleaning, things may have died in them.

Ganado, Brokor and kellory like this.
  11. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

The five finger shoes always reminded me of the Tabi socks that ninjas wore.
    ODD-SHOES.JPG
    My imagination must be working overtime today, I can't help but to try to look up those legs. Somebody shoot me.

Witch Doctor 01 and Hanzo like this.
  1. RouteClearance
  2. Andy the Aussie
  3. Hanzo
  4. OldDude49
  5. Hanzo
  6. thewildyam
  7. Motomom34
  8. gunbunny
  9. melbo
  10. Brokor
  11. sci