1. The Topic of the Month for April 2017 is "Store what you use, use what you store." Please join the discussion on the Survival Topic of the Month forum.

Food of the week: Pasta

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by Brokor, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

That's right, pasta. Oh, Semolina...sweet, semolina. I packaged some 16 oz. boxes of Orzo into airtight containers for backpacking, capable of being dumped, one cup at a time into my thermos with boiling water from the Kelly Kettle in under 4 minutes. Stow the thermos for an hour or so -just enough time to set up camp and do a little scouting and preparation.

At home, I can set a pot to boil, grab a bunch of capellini, linguine or angel hair, salt, and toss it in. Cracking open a can of tomato sauce, mix in another can of paste and tomato puree...of course, my own canned tomatoes taste best. Store bought will do if I really have to use them. Ingredients include: oregano, basil, fresh garlic, salt, olive oil, a little parsley, chopped onion, and one bay leaf. As it simmers slowly, I prepare my plate and utensils. My pre-made garlic bread beckons to be toasted, so I break out the toaster and begin. Drizzle the pasta with olive oil and we are almost complete.

What marinara isn't fully ready to go without a little bit of fresh mozzarella sliced up?

Oh, this is pure bliss.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Looks good Brokor. I really like to use fresh mozzarella - it has a completly different flavor. Clyde taught me to make pizza on the grill and that with some fresh basil and tomoto slices is quite a treat.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7