Food of the week: Pasta

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by Brokor, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

That's right, pasta. Oh, Semolina...sweet, semolina. I packaged some 16 oz. boxes of Orzo into airtight containers for backpacking, capable of being dumped, one cup at a time into my thermos with boiling water from the Kelly Kettle in under 4 minutes. Stow the thermos for an hour or so -just enough time to set up camp and do a little scouting and preparation.

At home, I can set a pot to boil, grab a bunch of capellini, linguine or angel hair, salt, and toss it in. Cracking open a can of tomato sauce, mix in another can of paste and tomato puree...of course, my own canned tomatoes taste best. Store bought will do if I really have to use them. Ingredients include: oregano, basil, fresh garlic, salt, olive oil, a little parsley, chopped onion, and one bay leaf. As it simmers slowly, I prepare my plate and utensils. My pre-made garlic bread beckons to be toasted, so I break out the toaster and begin. Drizzle the pasta with olive oil and we are almost complete.

What marinara isn't fully ready to go without a little bit of fresh mozzarella sliced up?

Oh, this is pure bliss.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Looks good Brokor. I really like to use fresh mozzarella - it has a completly different flavor. Clyde taught me to make pizza on the grill and that with some fresh basil and tomoto slices is quite a treat.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7