Food on hand?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by pizzamonkey, Jan 24, 2008.

1. pizzamonkey

pizzamonkey Monkey+++

How long can you survive with the food you have on hand right now?
    Before I was a preper 4 maybe5 days would have been the limit,I now see the need to be prepared for the "ya never know scenareo" Hope the rest of you are all sitting well.

[beer]

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well, Ive been off work for almost 6 months so we have been slowly lessening our pantry and such but even now I would say between the freezers and caned goods we could go at LEAST 3-4 months with litle problem and no resupply but then we also have a lot of edibles growing wild on our place and seed for the garden come thaw, rabbits, chickens, goats and critters in the woods. So things might get slim if couldnt step up a bit or resupply after 6 months or so but should be able to hold off starvation indeffinatly.

3. jash

jash Monkey+++

five to six months-with a decent variety and a good amount of daily calories, longer if we had to

4. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Three months on stocked food, then another three with the stocked MREs.

5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Without doing an inventory, I would say 6 months, maybe another month or two even. Water is always the tough part though. While I have over 100 gallons stored, a lake in my backyard, and a water filtration system, it is always something in the back of my mind.

6. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

I'm thin right now, but I'd say 2 months

7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Considering pantry stores (not longer term storage) I'm good for maybe a month.
    Add in the long term stuff, I can go nine months comfortably - longer with serious belt-tightening.

8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Back in the day when I was HARDCORE survivalist and conspiratorialist, I starved myself to test how my body would react and to see just what worked best in a survival situation. I am a firm believer in trying things out for yourself. Of course, this is not always practical. Many folks are just trying to pay the bills and survive as is, let alone go out and spend money on stuff they really don't need. Naturally, I find it ironic at how much "junk" people buy ever day regardless...but, I digress.

My point, of course is to talk about my starvation test. I remember it vividly. I tried canned goods (found that they satiate hunger temporarily, but nearly all had too few calories and not nearly enough nutrients) and decided against stocking large (and heavy) canned supplies. I then bought an ample supply of freeze dried goods and found out that they were rather tasty and efficient. Lightweight freeze dried goods also last a very long time, and can be taken with you on excursions, ready to eat with a bit of hot water. The only problem I found with FD goods is the cost. Even the best prices are difficult to manage at times, so it would be best to buy piecemeal, as funds are available. I realized that I could forrage and hunt quite easily, thus use my freeze dried goods as a supplemental food source. This extended my supplies to last a very long time. I checked into alternate foods, and stumbled upon Survival Tabs, which are small malt flavored tablets which fit inside a canteen sized container (can also fit into a G.I. canteen carrier), and is a two or three week supply of food on its own. I used these tabs as an additional supplement and quickly extended my food supply even more. I could eat a standard meal daily from what I had gathered and hunted, ate food tabs for lunch and snacks, and a freeze dried meal if needed in the evening. I was amazed at how long I went on the food tabs alone to test how well they worked. I was hungry as hell, but suffered no body fat loss or nutrients. The tabs are not meant to be the only food source for extended periods, and they do become quite boring to masticate after a few days...

I could probably create a good 6 month food supply for less than $500. I would smoke meats and use canning methods for veggies, and make my own jerky also. By continuing these methods, a person could live quite comfortably for an indefinite period of time, and would only lose the freeze dried foods and survival tabs over time. I am going to research making my own freeze dried foods, and make that happen, too. This will make self sustainment even more comfortable. :)

9. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

My stocks have become pretty low.... only about 2 weeks worth in the house. But the family farm is just a few miles away, and there's a couple of really fat old cows and a horse that would do nicely in a pinch.

10. hartage

hartage Monkey+++

Lol, family farm a few miles away ? Not much of a food issue for you then. Even for longer term. Must be nice.

11. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

We would run out of things over time such as rice and such but we would just keep growing our garden every year and the chickens and turkeys would keep laying and sitting every year, so we would be good for how ever long it would be needed. We may not eat all the things we eat now but we would eat.

OGM

12. pizzamonkey

pizzamonkey Monkey+++

Family farms and outside sources are nice but very wide open to outside intruders... SHTF will be crazy for a couple months , things will settle down after that and things will mellow out. Nice to have things secure and hidden in cans and bags.

God bless u all

13. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Couple years off stored stuff.....close to indefinitely off garden, cows, etc......

14. SeptemberMage

SeptemberMage LaMOE Monkey

I think we could go about 9 months with the food on hand, wheat, rice, beans, and all the canned food. Of course, there are always lots and lots of squirrels in my backyard...

15. brewer

brewer Monkey+++

1 year + with a variety dry beans, rice, lentils, wheat berries, in mylar bags/5 gal.bucket some freezed dried food in #10 cans, pastas in 1 gal. jars, cases of home canned produce, freezer full of beef, pork, and chicken, cases of home canned soups and meats plus store bought canned products. Water is a spring fed source. Seasonal fresh produce and winter storage (squash) from our garden.
    We'll pobably join a food co op soon and purchase more dry goods for long term storage.
    Good luck.
    A website directory for food co ops in your area
    www.coopdirectory.org

16. Boromonkey

Boromonkey Concerned primate

I still have to do some calculations on how much food will last how long...but I suppose between some MREs, canned goods, and a little bulk rice and beens...maybe 4 months on a lean diet. I'm shooting for at least one year but have to budget things out as the checks come in.

Freeze-dried isn't a great option here...too expensive and requires too much water. As it is, water for drinking will be the biggest issue. I couldn't store a year's worth without adding a wing to the house. I figure canned goods (especially veggies) are a good additional source.

Now, if pigeons are good eating, we may be set for a long time.

17. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

We can't keep enough food in the house, ever tried feeding a 18 yr. old that eats as much as the rest of the family. Now I know how my parents felt. [booze]

No worries though, there is plenty to forage around here, if the need arose.

18. hacon1

hacon1 Monkey+++

I have calculated most everything I have on hand and I'm pretty sure I could go 7-8 months depending on how many people I would end up with in my house. Hopefully, by the end of the summer, I will have stored away a years worth. That's my goal anyway.

19. Sgt. Art

Sgt. Art Monkey+++

I would say 4 - 6 week. A bit on the lean side between freeze dried, canned, MEREs and a few other items. We keep enough drinking water on hand to get throygh the same.

20. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

I'd say 6mos. with power, 3 with out. Plan a big garden this spring. Looking for jars.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7