Food storage options and opinions

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by GrayGhost, Jul 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

10-4 on the stainless steel. Can't beat it.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We stocked the 2006 White Toyota 4X4 Pickup Truck with two Lockable Containers, (Plastic) The first one carries Two Gallons of Distilled Water, a Case of Protien Energy Bars, a few Boxes of Krafts Macaroni & Latex, A Svea Stove kit with Pot, and our MessKits plus what we load it out with for the RoadTrip... The other houses the ToolKit, spare Antennas, FirstAid Kit, Spare Fanbelt, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, 3 USG 10W40 LubeOil, and a Couple of Cans of “Fix-A-Flat”.... Then we add our Travel Bags, Commputer Bags... In the Cab in the AccessArea, behind the Seats, we put our Cooler, with Ice, for our Clill Stuff, and a Collapsable Costco Bag for Munchies, Drinks, our Documents, Cameras, Handheld Radios, FireArms, Ammo, and whatever we think we might need while moving down the Highway... Since there are only about 2 miles of trails, where we live, and we always have Comms Gear on us when we leave the Cabin area the Rhino, only has a couple Bottles of water, and a couple of Energy Bars...

GrayGhost likes this.
  3. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

What size tires? I had a 1990 YJ with 32" Goodyear MTRs, right after they came out. I had 4 on the ground and a spare. Costly, but good rubber back then. Spring over and completely waterproofed. I sure do miss that ol' girl.

GrayGhost likes this.
  4. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Currently it sits on 35's. Custom 4-link suspension, coilovers, 4.88 gears, front locker and l/s rear, f/r Dana 60's...it's a bruiser.

A guy at the gas station commented a while back, stating that he'd never seen 8 lug axles under a Jeep before. "Is that factory?"
    No...not hardly.

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  5. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Surprisingly, I can and fit most of that inside while wheeling, less your comm setup. I'm just starting the build of an off-road trailer to put behind it. It should have pretty close to the same ride height, and sit on 35's with 8 lug rims, as well so I can carry a spare(s) that will work on the Jeep or the trailer.

Those side by sides are a hoot off road.

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  6. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

"Is that factory?" :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, the ol' gas station. One place that Jeep won't pass. :)

GrayGhost likes this.
  7. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Might consider a couple of caches of food and water between point A and B. 3" and 4" PvC pipe is your friend as is the desiccant inside it. A 12" pipe section of 4" will hold a good amount of food and other essentials and is easy enough to conceal. Stick with freeze dried type foods anything with moisture in the stash is a risk and one leaky whatever can ruin the entire stash. Kind of goes without saying........... but you will need a knife or some blade or saw to open the pipe up.

GrayGhost likes this.
  8. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

I've thought about this. It would require some covert night ops to pull it off, but the payback could be huge if life goes sideways and it's actually needed.

9. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Glad to be useful here! LOL. Anyway as far as keeping food in a hot car I'd rotate it out at least once a week. Freeze-dried every month. A hot car is not ideal storage for anything.

GrayGhost likes this.
  10. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Messed around in the garage for a bit today after work and spotted a little bag; not exactly ideal, but innocuous enough to be carried by a tool guy.
    20180730_202021.
    This will serve it's purpose while a find a more suitable alternative.

The project that took me to the garage in the first place was something I'd been meaning to do for a while...put some snares together. These are 1/16" SS cable with a 1/4" bent SS washer for a lock, along with aluminum ferrules. Lengths are 28" and 2 @ 48"....gotta re-up on supplies.
    20180730_202323.
    The progress continues...

1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. duane
  9. TnAndy
  10. john316
  11. DKR
  12. DKR
  13. apache235
  14. Ganado
  15. alaskachick
  16. Motomom34
  17. Bandit99
  18. Asia-Off-Grid