Forgotten old timers tricks

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Tempstar, Jul 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Not as old school as you might think. ;)

2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Another tight-jar trick I use is to tap on the edge on four points, 90 degrees, with a knife handle. Usually loosens it up. Better with metal lids than plastic though.

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and Merkun like this.
  3. Seawolf1090

Not much problem in a glass jar. Easy to ID the food. Unmarked cans are more "interesting".

Ura-Ki likes this.
  4. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Chewing tobacco on stinging or biting insect wounds. Oil of citronella on all your daughters while fishing, especially when they become teenage. (Great repellent, even works on teenage boys) LOL

Ganado, Tempstar and Bishop like this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

And if that don't work throat punch will

M118LR likes this.
  6. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Forgot that one, Granny used to put snuff on our bee stings, just a dash with some water to make a paste. Almost would quit stinging instantly.

M118LR likes this.
  7. Seawolf1090

One of my Aunts (Dad's sister) was a huge believer in Mercurichrome. During the summer when us kids were running loose doing our thing, we all had red patches all over us.

8. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Merthiolate was the alternate antibiotic in our house. No such thing as "Triple Antibiotic Ointment" in those days.

9. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Monkey blood was about the only external germ warfare drug in our house when I was a kid.

Gator 45/70 and GrayGhost like this.
  10. M118LR

Merthiolate was only used when you failed to be passive enough to allow the application of Mercurichrome for injuries that couldn't be cured with Bactine or "Mom's Boo Boo Kiss"! When Dad reached for the Vodka Bottle, you knew you really had done something serious! LOL

Homer Simpson and Ganado like this.
  11. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Heh. Pre-Bactine was either of the mer choices or iodine. I was there ---

M118LR likes this.
  12. M118LR

Bactine was introduced in 1947! Just how ancient do you claim to be Merkun? :LOL:

13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Older than that, you cane sure...

M118LR likes this.
  14. M118LR

Just pinning down Merkun's time line against the physically able to perform time line, BT. After all, how many of US received PF Flyers and jumped higher + ran faster than any other kid on the block? LOL.

Dad went to Korea in 51, after 18 months he came home as the Platoon Sergeant CO "M" 21 st Infantry Regiment, I was born a bit premature when Mom went through the windshield during a car crash. But I ain't claiming actual knowledge prior to 53.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

My memories go back about that same timeline... but the "Merk" is a bit older than that...

16. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Let's just say I was born earlier than that. Beyond that, it's a nunya. And believe it or not, I am NOT the oldest member.

M118LR likes this.
  17. M118LR

So you want to give your current time in the 4 in 32 or the 2 mile swim in 36?
    And as Old as I am, my 30 year clock ran out in the 90's. So would it be prudent to ask why in today's time frame instead of beating the pulpit? Perhaps we both can learn from Today's Warrior?

18. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Give up with these useless challenges and try sticking to the topic.

Gator 45/70 and M118LR like this.
  19. M118LR

Meet these most basic of qualifications, and quit trying to make them challenges. Then we can converse about the topic"s from an experienced perspective. JMHO. After you have achieved what I consider (and expect as a minimum standard) as a baseline of physical readiness, perhaps you can conceive that they are not challenges but prerequisites to having experienced conversations?
    The challenges that you perceive are nothing more than the introductory specifications to sit at the round table of experience, that I and Others have shed in Blood to earn the right to give our meager opinions when deemed needed by those that have scarified more, and they expect a fresh perspective.

Give up your useless failed perspectives, your opinion becomes a perspective only after you have surpassed what others consider a minimum to enter the program. Don't confuse a minimum standard with a challenge, once that is achieved then we can go off topic! JMHOI

20. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

[​IMG]

OOps wrong type of trick.... never mind....:oops:

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. hot diggity
  3. HK_User
  4. chelloveck
  5. hot diggity
  6. Survivalmike
  7. 3M-TA3
  8. DKR
  9. UncleMorgan
  10. hot diggity
  11. melbo
  12. Dunerunner