Forgotten old timers tricks

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Tempstar, Jul 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Apparently a nose bleed isn't sufficient blood shed cred to offer an opinion, or an almost war story. ;)

Every line tells a story, and the twinkle in her eye, tells me that they weren't all bad ones. ;)

2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

A few years ago I rediscovered Betadine and Providone Iodine solutions for antibacterial and anti-infection uses.
    Having no health insurance, I keep a well stocked medical kit.
    I have even used a suture kit on myself. Minor injury but it did require a few stitches.

3. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

AH, Military non-history. For all those $h!T River Centurions, ain't nothing compared with "MUMBLES" qualifications. :LOL:

chelloveck likes this.
  4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

While discussing the subject with a friend, putting an aspirin in an almost dead battery, 1 per cell, would usually get you going. I have never tried it but he swears it will work.

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

That battery trick reminds me of the Serbian jump start. Pull good battery out of one car and slam it post to post on top of the car with the dead battery. Crank quickly before acid runs out. :)

How about a cold weather heavy equipment starting aid? No glow plug system, no manifold flame heater, but you have newspaper!
    Light a wad of newspaper on fire and stuff it in the intake manifold while cranking the engine. I've seen it work, and it is likely less harmful than using starting fluid.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2017
    Ganado, M118LR and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

I've done something similar with the second battery and two wire coat hangers. Lord I was stupid as a kid.

chelloveck, Gator 45/70 and Tempstar like this.
  7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

One nice thing about older Fords......
    Found a guy with a dead Ford truck. I was driving a Ford van. Neither of us had jumper cables. With mine still running, we took my battery out, put it in his truck, got it started, then put the battery back in mine. He got to where he could get a new battery.

chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Think it's best to leave Serbian perspective out of this. (The only other WINNERS came from WWII) Just my perspective.

9. Southbound

Southbound Monkey++

Scrub with Fels-Naptha if you get into poison ivy. It cuts through the oils to remove them from your skin. I haven't tried the new formula but the old stuff sure works.

10. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Use chapstick on your zippers for lube and to make them wind/water proof...

Wear panty hose as an under layer when moving through tick infested areas.. it keeps them from latching on.... It also will keep you warm as a base layer... and if you are wearing new foot wear they will help stop blisters...

Use bees wax candles to help waterproof your boots... work bees wax into the seams of your boots and rub it in the heat from friction will melt it in and help keep your feet dry...

M118LR and GrayGhost like this.
  11. Itchba

Itchba Monkey++

I used to get ear infections as a kid and my grandmother would heat an onion and squeeze the juice in my ear to draw out the infection. That's why most old poltices had onion as the main ingredient.

Backing soda and water paste takes the sting out of most itches, stings or bites.

And sourkraut juice with a little salt settles an upset stomach.

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. hot diggity
  3. HK_User
  4. chelloveck
  5. hot diggity
  6. Survivalmike
  7. 3M-TA3
  8. DKR
  9. UncleMorgan
  10. hot diggity
  11. melbo