Fukishima - 60 Minutes Australia -

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Clyde, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

This is a must watch video. It paints the real picture of this disaster which is being swept under the rug!

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DcOol3KJscc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bobzilla, VHestin and Falcon15 like this.
  2. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Thanks for sharing. It certainly confirms a recent conversation.

3. Avarice

Avarice California Health Junkie

Stop eating seafood.

I have a lot of sea plant products I carry, lots of them from from Japan, and I can't get them anymore.

American regulatory agencies are letting the plants get slack on repairs, and aren't doing as much regulating of the safety here. I'm afraid we're due for one here in the US of A.

4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Just a point... Dr Michio Kaku (sp) is a known anti nuke activist so his comments have a notable slant to them...

5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

See my post at the TIN FOIL HAT LOUNGE, about 14 conspiracies proven FACT. Fukishima and much of the area around it is a dead zone now on par with Chernobyl.

RouteClearance and Falcon15 like this.
  6. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Just a point - he has a valid scientific standpoint. The half life of uranium 235 - used to make nuclear power is measured in the millions of years. Any extensive exposure would irradiate your bones which would take hundreds of years - if not more - to completely disintegrate in the grave, leaving...you guessed it, radioactive bone dust. Dr. Michiko is an expert. Even if there were an anti-nuclear slant, his answers are not dramatized, overblown, or incorrect. This is some seriously bad hoo-hah in Japan, and it affects the entire world.

Basic nuclear operations in the mil teaches about exposure, and why you have to keep a permanent record of your exposure (I still have mine and it has been added to over the years of working around radioactive sources and emissions).

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Naval records lost my occupational exposure records somehow (requested some years ago when on a job around an operating reactor.) I ain't dead yet, at least below the neck. (So she told me.)
    Michiko has undeniable knowledge and talent. I don't take him as a panicked individual screaming that the sky is falling, but I do believe he has an agenda. Hopefully, he'll not make a mess of things like the intervenors in Michigan did.

BTPost and Falcon15 like this.
  8. Clyde

The reality is the whole thing is very Chernobyl like and it wasnt until 4 months after the disaster that the Japanese said the core melted down in the first few days. Also, our .gov seems to have no worries when it appears that ther has been more emission of radioactive particles and the site has not been encased in cement.

And GE seems to be given a pass for their faulty design which was another story swept under the rug!

Falcon15 likes this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I'll go out on a limb here, and say that GE had nothing to do with siting the plant or the safety analysis for the balance of plant. I'd tend to think the engineer that brought all the parts and pieces under the roof had a lot to do with underestimating the hazards of the site. Now, if GE did the design for the whole plant rather than the nuclear side, then the hammer should drop on them in the blame game.

10. Clyde

Sorry, g, but if you ever had to deal with GE capital for a commercial loan, you would hate them, too, and blame the entire worlds problems on them including Fukushima.

Nadja and Tracy like this.
  11. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I was wondering the other day why Fukushima quit being in the news. Radiation does not disappear just because celebrities are trying to get attention.

12. Clyde

13. Avarice

Avarice California Health Junkie

When you should be concerned, you won't hear about it from the American mainstream media. When they are trying to scare you, you know you shouldn't really be worried. Not a perfect rule, but it's been a good guide.

gunbunny likes this.
  14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The difference between Fukushima, and Hiroshima, is that one was an Air Burst
    at 5000ft, as I recall, and the other was a fairly slow release, carried only by Surface Winds, with much of it going out to Sea, by Offshore winds. Not to say these both, were not BAD deals. Headlines can be very deceiving, and Talking Heads are mostly clueless, on the content of what they are spewing. If you really want to know what the issues are, then dig into the Research and Data coming out of the Scientific Papers being published, on the incident, and give wide berth, to Folks with Agendas to support. ..... YMMV.....

15. shrapnel

shrapnel Monkey+

I'm not an expert but a nuclear bomb (like Fatman in Hiroshima) only carries a small amount of nuclear material while, I imagine, a nuclear power plant has much more radioactive fuel... So a lot more could get released with a nuclear plant meltdown... I mean, there seem to be much more radiation left around Chernobyl than in the Arizona desert where the US tested Nukes... Or maybe I'm wrong?

16. bobzilla

bobzilla Monkey+

Yes,Fukushima is measured in tons of fuel rods,active and stored.
    My concern is there constant dumping in the ocean,the Japanese current carrying it into the Alaskan fisheries.

17. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

One of the things I do remember that two of the plants did not have U-235 uranium in , but weapons grade plutonium which is just a lot more intense then uranium I believe.

Shrapnel, I don't ever remember the gob't testing nukes here in the Az desert. New Mexico and Nevada I believe.

18. Clyde

19. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Clyde, There are no readings from the water, simply because all the Isotopes that they are dealing with, are much heavy than water, and eventually sink to the bottom. Also the Tidal and Ocean currents tend to distribute, and dilute, these Isotopes, or they are eaten by living things, that MOVE around. This makes it very hard to measure, and categorize, with any precision, so they just don't bother. It is assumed that any dangerous levels, will show up in the fish, and they will have some readings from the local fish population. There will be some fancy Federal Yahoos, up here in Alaska, next summer, testing our fish populations, for those Isotopes, you can be sure. Your Federal Tax Dollars at work..... ..... YMMV...

20. Clyde

Yes. Understand they can't test for it, but the isotopes will show up in the food chain....somewhere. I just don't notice anyone talking about it.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7