Gas mask information.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by survivalmonkey360, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Jcombe

Jcombe Monkey+

For some inexpensive gear look to the asbestos abatement industry. Earlier on in the thread talk of CS brings back some great memories. I was the unit NBC NCO and it was my favorite part to be in the chamber and tell people to break their seals. I am one of the lucky ones that CS had no effect on :). Me and buddies made some good cash on the newbies.

2. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

Not to be argumentative but I would buy either one of those mask.

The first is a foreign copy of our 1950 mask. It takes a 60 MM filter which aren't made any more. You can get a 40 MM adapter, but unless you seal it well it will either leak, or come loose while changing filters.

The second one is an E. German copy of our M 17 series mask. Again no current filters are available. Again an obsolete design.

I have no problem buying NOS (new old stock) mask. The heart of the mask is the filter. They can be had from several sources. I prefer Botac Tactical. They have back order issues, but if the item is instock they are good.

There are several reasons for having a breathing apparatus. Terrorism is on the bottom of MY list. Hazardous materials or on the TOP.
    I've lived and worked next the the worlds 3rd largest petro chemical plant, with a nuke plant 20 miles north. That doesn't take into account the hazardous chemicals being trans ported my rail and truck.

A couple years ago I made sure that my kids and grandkids that lived near RR tracks or plants had a decent mask with current filter. So they could GOOD if need be.

Right now the 40 MM filter is the standard for NATO, also I would make sure the mask has a way to hydrate the wearer.

Remember that most kids under the age of 8 don't have the lung capisity to the normal filter mask, and needs a postive pressure mask.

Brokor likes this.
  1. bendsc
  2. Illini Warrior
  3. TheJackBull
  4. Quigley_Sharps
  5. TheJackBull
  6. Ajax
  7. Alpha Dog
  8. gunbartender
  9. OzarkSaints
  10. MicroBalrog
  11. Tango3