Recipe Ginger beer (Root Beer)

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by chelloveck, Nov 27, 2022.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Ginger beer also known as root beer in some places, is not difficult to make, but very nice to drink chilled on a hot day, or after doing hard yard work.

The commercial Bundaburg ginger beer June Trip..... is non alcoholic, but my mother used to brew ginger beer from scratch ingredients...some recipes were for non alcoholic GB for us kids back in the day...though there are alcoholic recipes also

Learning Blog Beer Hard Ginger Beer (Alcoholic)
    Best Ginger Beer Recipe - How to Make Homemade Alcoholic Ginger Beer
    Ginger Beer Recipe (With Alcohol)
    How to Make a Ginger Bug for Homemade Fermented Sodas

Mad Millie Ginger Beer (non-alcoholic)
    Home-made Non-Alcoholic Ginger Beer | Good Life Permaculture
    How to make a mother of a ginger beer

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I am tempted to try to brew this but I'm also leery of ruining a keg forever, not being able to get the ginger out of it.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

If you are just experimenting, all you need is a food grade plastic bucket of suitable size with an airtight resealable lid. Most restaurants purchase ingredients in such containers and are happy to give them away when the buckets' contents have been emptied...20litre buckets of mayonnaise or similar stuff that has no strong residue would be ideal...then it is just a matter of drilling a hole big enough for the gromet that brewing airlock kits come with to insert the airlock through...voila! a brewing barrel. a suitable vessel would be a drinking water barrel...gromet hole drilled also....apportion ingredient quantities accordingly.

How to Identify Food Grade Buckets: 9 Steps (with Pictures)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    Dunerunner likes this.
  4. Dunerunner

I have a 5-gallon glass carboy that I could brew in, it is the forced carbonization in a keg that concerns me. I don't bottle, but I guess I could, but the results are never great. Either under or over carbonated or the beverage is not sweet enough.

5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Bottling is really the ONLY way to go, tip on their sides at about a 30 deg angle, helps! As to the carbonization, cant help ya there! A dedicated Keg would be awesome, but only if your really into it! We do all the Root Beer types, so its a really nice addition to have!

Dunerunner and chelloveck like this.
  6. Dunerunner

I do have a spare 5-gallon soda keg I could dedicate to root beer and ginger beer. Have to replace the seals and pressure test first, though.

chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7