Go Bag (Backpack) Water & First Aid Medication Questions

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, May 14, 2019.

1. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Good reply. What a bunch of people on this forum don't seem to grasp is that it's better that people do some things then nothing at all. In my case, I figure 1. If the Government comes to evacuate people, note I used the word "If", at least I will have a prepacked bag ready to take with me. 2. I can leave with my sister and her family 10 blocks away as a possible option albeit they may be no better off then me, Other than that I am screwed at this present time but at least I've got resources ready.

2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I keep a sawyer filter and 4 bladders in my EDC bag along with a steri pen and cup for boiling water in
    I carry colloidal silver and the means for making more.
    Some what of an extensive first aid kit BP cuff , over the counter medications ,cash, identification, cord, monocular , tools, maps and compass, vinegar , baking soda, dish soap, super glue, sewing needled and thread, suture needles and monofilliment ,alcohol,
    Long term storage energy bars, Quick clot,

3M-TA3 likes this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The Sawyer filters are the schnizz - clean them with backflow every so often and they are good to go. Two different filter sizes as well with one small enough to stop a virus. Any idea how long these hold up? They are potentially indefinite.

SB21 and sec_monkey like this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Just make double damn sure that the backflow supply is pristine, at least deionized if not demineralized. You do NOT want "dirty" water on the exit side of the filter. EVER.

5. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

@ED GEiN I keep my GHB in the vehicle I'm driving. I also keep a minimum of 24 bottles of water in the vehicle. This water never gets more than a week old because I drink it fast.

My GHB has a new 3L bladder inside. I can poke the bottles into the GHB and run if I need to. I made sure it's big enough to hold the case if need be. When I am not having to rush I can fill the bladder for ease of drinking. When the bottles are gone I have the Sawyer 1 gallon gravity filter to fill everything back up as needed after the bottles are empty.

Does that answer your question? I don't plan to be a refugee but this should work for that.

chelloveck and sec_monkey like this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Zimmy you keep plastic water bottles in the car? I can't do that in desert country. THe heat kills the plastic and the water gets gross. I have a water jug that gets a new one gallon frozen milk jug dumped in it 2x week (pull the old one out, put the new one in) that way the water stays cold and I can use the gallon milk jug if I need to.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have been buying the "Simply Orange" in the gallon jug and saving the jugs .
    They are a clear plastic and very thick compared to every thing else.
    It's like buying the juice for the jug.
    When finished I rinse it out and fill with water.
    I want to see how well they perform.
    I figure that any thing storred over time is going to need processed through filters, having water to filter is better than not having any water at all.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

@Ganado
    I drink 10-12 bottles a day to wash out the toxins released by my weight loss and exercise. My case of water rotates only twice as fast as your milk jug. (Since I keep a case minimum)

It doesn't get funky with the Texas heat if I keep my windows cracked open. I'm shaded at work in a big concrete parking garage six days a week anyway.

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  9. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

I'd buy a few individual water filter sticks for the go bag, and maybe a 6 pack of canned water if you want it ready to go at all times. I'd add in a camelbak that you can fill at home and you'd be good for 24 hrs.

The real issue here is that carrying a large water supply is heavy. Sure, if you are bugging out in a vehicle, that may not be a large issue. However, if it is on foot, you're going to have to forage for water, hence the filters.

For home use, I have storage bags made for specific water storage use...ones for my tubs, one for the truck bed, and one that will fit on the concrete floor of the garage that will take a thousand gallons. If there were a real threat like a pandemic, I'd start filling that one before the city water supply went bad. I also have a ceramic water filter good to filter thousands of gallons (and spare set of filters) and dry chlorine (wet goes bad in 6 months) stored for use.

Gator 45/70, oldawg and 3M-TA3 like this.
  10. starbright

starbright Monkey

I like your idea. I think that would work well for me. What kind of water jug do you use? What are the dimensions or capacity?

11. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I can foresee situations where you might have to leave regardless of the destination, such as civil unrest coming down the street in your direction.

12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

On the recent Amazon Day binge, I picked up several Lifestraw's at around $10 each. Nice addition to any kit as a backup.

Ganado, Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

KIMG2867.

Some disasters move very slowly, like creeping mold. Water that was stored in the refrigerator was immediately available, but frozen cases in the big freezer proved more valuable after power went out in one home for several days. Weight of water became a big consideration, since even at low tide I had to hike into one home.

Medications are light, but as I found during Florence, moisture and temperature sensitive. Be prepared for this, and test your transport system now. I'm taking all I have on hand of BP meds (up to 90 days supply). Vitamins might have to be left behind.

I found the "where to?" question a little shocking on this site. I guess if you are really secluded in a low population area, and haven't been there long I could understand, but not if you've been in place for more than a couple months. You should have a network of family, friends and neighbors established that can provide you with shelter and support. Social skills that start with "Hello neighbor" are a start. Spread your stuff out. Don't keep your eggs all in one basket.

Think caches and couches. You can only carry so much, so far.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Witch Doctor 01 and Yard Dart like this.
  14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yeah, if he can get out of the building. His go bag should get him that far ---

To enlarge a bit on my remark about making sure that backflush water is the best it can be. I use the second filter run for backflushing. Drink the first, run and store the second batch until needed for backwash.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7