Good emergency food and water container withstand heat

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Ajax, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

After the quake in Japan and living near the Madrid fault line I would like to put together a good BOB I am place in my car. I am going to have one at home too put that's going to take more time to put together.

At any rate what I was wondering is there a good type of food and water container that will hold up fine in heat, like the trunk of a car in 95 degree summer heat without spoiling or ruining it? I understand it won't last as long and changing out BOB food is no big deal. Also as far as water it doesn't seem like a good idea to place plastic containers in heat like that but what about stainless steel with a plastic and rubber lid, are there any ill affects heat would cause? ​

2. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

Aluminum is also a option for portable water containers. Anyone know how they hold up to heat?

3. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I'd probably use stainless steel and then put the water container in an insulated ice chest. Keep in mind you would want to change out the water periodically. Same thing for your food put it in the ice chest. Experiment with it this summer and see how hot the contents get after being in the trunk all day.

Aluminum is a good conductor of heat.

4. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

Look into life boat rations. MRE depot et al are now selling canned water. It has a 30 year shelf life. The box's and pouches have a 5 year as well and the rations. The ration bars may not be the most appetizing, but it beats hungry.

5. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to go with the Datrex energy bar and the emergency water pouches for the BOB and a Sport Berkey water filter with purifiers (even though purifiers aren't needed with this filter) to supplement the water pouches.

According to the description the pouches can withstand up to 600 lbs of pressure and can be frozen or left in a car. So I think this will work fine for what I need.

Price wise it's a complete rip off for the water, but considering I need something in a bag that is easy to carry and can withstand heat and cold I think it will be fine since I only need a small quantity. At home of course there are much better and cheaper ways to store water.

Amazon.com: Datrex Emergency Water Pouches Case of 64 for Survival Kits, Disaster Supplies, 5 Year Shelf Life: Sports & Outdoors
    Amazon.com: Pack of 2 Datrex 3600 Calorie Emergency Food Bar for Survival Kits: Everything Else

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  6. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

I would use stainless also. Or BPA free plastic. I'm worried about that fault line too.
    FEMA bought up a lot of emergency food for that area recently.
    After Amazon.com jacked their price up on IoSat PI from 9.99 to 349.00 recently and rejected previous orders for the 9.99 ones, I'll never shop there again.

7. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

Ah, that's crazy, I wish I would have bought some before. I wonder how long it will take for supply and prices to return to normal.

The Amazon price increase was probably an individual seller not the company Amazon, I would guess at least.

1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Hanzo
  4. Zimmy
  5. DKR
  6. ColtCarbine
  7. natshare
  8. SurvivalTech
  9. Ajax
  10. E.L.
  11. E.L.
  12. survivalmonkey