Got my new genset working!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Seawolf1090, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I finally took the time today to get my new Genset up and running.
    It's the 1800 watt (2250 Watt surge) Homelite from Home Despot. Uses a Subaru engine. Bought it a month ago.
    It was already topped off with oil - TOO much! I drained about half and refilled to the dipstick mark.
    Three rubber feet were missing - this was a 'floor model', not boxed. Was missing the Operator's Manual too - I'll see if I can get one from the company. I replaced the feet with some from HD's hardware bin.
    The gas tank did not have any gas scent, so my fears that it may have been a 'return' were somewhat lessened.
    I got a couple gas cans and filled them with straight non-ethanol gas (had to assure the store clerk it was NOT for modern vehicles - mower and genny only! - before he'd give me the key to the 'non-mixed' pump.
    Got home, gassed the genny up, and she cranked onthe first pull! COOL.....!
    Once it settled down, and I got it off choke, I connected a load to it - worked fine.
    So now I am set for 'emergency power' if needs be.
    It's a 'portable' unit, about the size and shape of a midsized cooler with handles on each side. No wheels. About fifty pounds, so can be lifted into and out of my van easily.
    I will build a small secure housing for it behind the house - I want it fairly close. Will need some better muffling and sound deadening too - little bugger sounds like a lawn mower running..... not nearly 'gray' enough for a SHTF situation!

2. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

There are a few "mods" using motorcycle mufflers, coil vent, long pipes...just do a Google for muffling genset. Remember, these little gensets are air cooled, so the air needs to reach the genny or it will overheat.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Go to the Homelite website and see if the owner's manual is there. There is apt to be a breakin period after which an oil change (at least) will be necessary.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Another thing to LOOKOUT for on Homelite (Big Box Store) gensets is IF, they have Plastic Genset Case ends. A couple years back Homelite built a whole series of these little Gensets, with Plastic Housings on the Genend, and the Rear Bearing MELTED the Plastic Housing, thus losing all the end support for the rotor, and they catastrophically FAILED, after about 15 hours of operation. It got so bad, Dealers would refuse to even look at them. Just be aware....

5. Seawolf1090

I'll double check the construction - the side ends are stamped steel sheet though, if I recall. Getting dark now- I'll check tomorow before running it again.
    Thanks for the tips!

6. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

Im very happy for you !! cool you got it going :) now can you tell me about this fuel? is that the stuff for only off road toys? I saw it, but it says not for our cars. is this what we use in our generators?? Im in the dark, so is this what I buy?

7. Seawolf1090

Yep, apparently the law says 'real gas' can only be used for older vehicles and small motors. Stupid law...... But at least the station is only a couple miles from me. The next closest is down in Sopchoppy, a good twenty mile ride....... [loco]
    When I first asked for it, the clerk said they didn't sell it! But that's their standard story at first - had to assure him it was for the genny and mower only.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7