Got preps? dc stores cleaned out. dumb asses

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by AD1, Jan 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Let the stupidity panic begin. Although most Alaskans probably know better and can work around or are already supplied with whatever they need. Exceptions may apply the more liberal ones, who also double as walking brown bear happy meals.

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This is the news conference I keep hearing on the radio.

http://news.justinweather.com/2016/01/21/state-of-emergency-and-blizzard-warning-maryland/

It is really sad when people have to be told what they need. I found it interesting that the area could experience power outages but notice no water. I know you can melt snow but if people need to be told to go get food for more then 2 days, I do not have faith that they could figure out the melting snow concept.

3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

They pretty much had to way back, esp in the warmer climates. Actually, going to the fresh markets everyday for supper was kinda cool. Not because you had to, but there is something about strolling the streets, listening to the people, tasting the offered olive oils,wine, breads and cheeses. In some ways its more social than anything else.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    chelloveck and GOG like this.
  4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Raging Snow Bitch.

Dunerunner likes this.
  5. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I understand that card, sick of winter, waiting for spring here...and waiting...and waiting...

Tully Mars and pearlselby like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Oh, I LIKE that...[applaud] "walking brown bear happy meals" So True.... [lolol] Los Anchorage is just like any other Big City down in the FlatLands... Ruled by DemoRats, elected by the Welfare Class, and have all the same issues as any such place.... Including daily trips to the Grocery Store....

7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

If something worse happened, there would be bodies in the isles as well. Nobody has a stock of evaporated and powdered milk???

[​IMG]

Motomom34, Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

tis a shame all three branches of government didn't get stuck in DC, they coulda been the main course.

9. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Absolutely correct. When I was in Europe, I would see friends and they would go to the store every single day! The fridge was barely apartment sized, enough for one (may be two) days worth of left overs. The freezer was just big enough for one ice cube tray (maybe two) OR a small carton of ice cream. I was going to eat with them so they went to the store and bought just enough pasta (no plastic bags that they might need to store!) for three people. No waste, no left overs. The next day they went and bought three beers, more pasta, etc. "Food storage? No, why?"

10. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I'd say that everyone (or just about everyone) on here does. However, does anyone have any tips for improving the taste of powdered milk besides cutting it with some real milk?

11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Europeans that live in big cities that have little grocery stores less than a block from their flat/bungalow/apartment. They also ride trains and buses and don't have cars to get out of dodge when the SHTF.

12. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

I've heard a drop of vanilla extract is supposed to help. I've also heard that you can use evaporated milk when cutting the powdered milk to help with the taste. I have both and may try this weekend. I just don't want to crack it open if I don't have to...might get a small container and try.

kellory and mysterymet like this.
  13. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Stock up on powdered chocolate Nesquik and mix it with the powdered milk, then you can have lots of chocolate milk :)

14. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

And to think, we still have green grass and it will be 75 on the 30th of January. It may be a heck of a summer but that's what AC is for.

Green grass pictures tomorrow for all of the East to enjoy.

Tully Mars likes this.
  15. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Suppose I should apologize for my outright disdain for libearls, but I won't.

16. BTPost

No, you do not need to... I just really liked the comment...

17. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

There are a number of ways of making powdered milk more palatable: Mainly by masking the powdered milk taste with something sweeter and more agreeable.

How to Make Dry Milk Taste Like Fresh Milk

I use powdered milk quite a bit for cooking. I'll use it in coffee, but am less enthusiastic about using it with black tea.

My all time favourite......
    a variation on the "prune and apple smoothie"

Make the yoghurt using powdered milk and powdered yoghurt starter, follow directions in the linked webpage below...and add a dash or three of tobacco sauce. Guaranteed to cure constipation with that burning ring of fire afterglow ;)

Prune Apple Smoothie Recipe | MrBreakfast.com

actually the following website has quite a few smoothie recipes worth experimenting with.

Healthy Breakfast Drinks Recipes | MrBreakfast.com

Sapper John, 3M-TA3 and mysterymet like this.
  18. john316

john316 Monkey+++

NICE READ ON POWDERED MILK at https://survivalblog.com
    What’s For Dinner?- Part 3, by J.R.
    "
    It is not just powdered milk mixed according to the directions and chilled well. (The chilling is important for all powdered milks.) To one quart of reconstituted milk, add ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract (or some prefer almond extract) and ½ to 1 teaspoon of sugar, and mix very well. Life is good again."

"one way to make powdered milk more palatable is to add one can of evaporated milk per gallon of reconstituted powdered milk. Powdered milk has had most of the milk fats removed from it and adding them back in via evaporated milk makes it much better tasting."

19. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Blue milk in a can, not exactly fond memories but it surly makes you appreciate real milk. BTW, to all, 1% is not real milk. just colored water.
    HK

3cyl, Tully Mars and 3M-TA3 like this.
  20. BTPost

We used Boxed Milk, for our winter Milk Supply... I usually get 3 or 4 cases of it in the Fall, and it lasts the whole winter..... Good for a number of Years....

chelloveck likes this.
  1. Thunder5Ranch
  2. john316
  3. Motomom34
  4. T. Riley
  5. HK_User
  6. Motomom34
  7. hot diggity
  8. DarkLight
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Zimmy