Got preps? dc stores cleaned out. dumb asses

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by AD1, Jan 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Just did a quick test (we only have 4 gallons worth and it is "best by" May 2016). We had every intention of trying sooner...and then didn't.

Anyway. It is the Aldi brand Nonfat Dry Milk (Skim). Results are:
    Straight - Mixed a half-gallon and tried it straight. Amazingly it simply tasted like cool (didn't chill it) Skim Milk. No aftertaste, no "nuthin". Just Skim Milk. Not a fan of Skim milk but I can drink it.
    Chocolate - Mixed sufficient Hershey's syrup to make the remainder chocolate milk. Why? Because I knew the kids would drink it and I didn't really want to futz with splitting it. Tasted just like Hershey's chocolate milk. Again, no aftertaste, etc.

Next to try will be the vanilla extract, sugar and evaporated milk. Going to have to make a gallon for the evaporated milk though because I really don't have anything to bake/make with the remainder.

Final test will be reconstituted evaporated milk. The only problem with that is it doesn't go very far.

kellory, chelloveck and Tully Mars like this.
  2. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Yeah the aseptic boxes of milk are another choice. It's usually lowfat(don't think I've seen whole milk boxes), but it's liquid milk.

And I'm beginning to wonder if these 'suffering' people affected by Jonas have suffered brain damage at some point and their associative memories for winter weather is not functioning...

DarkLight likes this.
  3. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

That's the "shelf stable" milk, right? Boxes of liquid that don't need refrigeration (or is that something else)? We didn't think much of it when we were getting boxed chocolate milk for the kids for lunch (don't ask, we've since realized the error of our ways) but that's what that is, shelf stable liquid milk.

Most of the stores around here either don't stock it or it's crazy expensive, outside of the high sugar chocolate milk at Costco.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

They make both kinds of Shelf Stable Milk.... 2% and Whole.... We have both, here... 2% is in Blue Boxes, and Whole is in Red Boxes....

5. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

just a glimpse of thing to come in the city’s when everything fails and fail it will be in time

6. bob2231

bob2231 Monkey+

I don't really see the problem.Every summer here,WC Florida,any time there's a hurricane or tropical storm warning,the stores get low on everything useful.
    I thought that was how it's supposed to work.
    People buying supplies BEFORE,rather than being able to buy nothing AFTER.
    Were they all just supposed to ignore the warnings and do nothing?

7. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

mysterymet and kellory like this.
  8. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

The right(prepared) way is to have what u need on hand and not have to rush out and buy anything. Its the panic buying because people dont plan ahead that is sad.

Tully Mars and ghrit like this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Usually every month I buy more chili, beans, canned meats, and other every day foods, and they all get put away.
    I use them sparingly and keep adding to my reserves when ever given the opportunity .
    I don't throw any containers away that can be used for other things ,even for the purpose of canning .
    I have no garbage that goes to waste, If I cant eat it , either the dogs get it or the chickens or the fish or the compost ,but nothing goes to waste. If I can help it.
    Buying in bulk is nice if one actually takes the time to repackage and store it all correctly. if you not going to do it, it's a wasted investment .
    My rice and other dry goods are packed in portions and repacked in several portion bags, and all have 02 absorbers in them.
    these are stored in 5 gallon buckets with more 02 absorbers.
    The bucket need not be food grade because no food is directly in contact , and if the bags fail it really doesn't matter at that point something more serious has occurred .
    The buckets make transporting easier and keep the rodents out .
    I almost bought the square buckets but they are only available on line and a bit more expensive, but worth it for storage purposes.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. Thunder5Ranch
  2. john316
  3. Motomom34
  4. T. Riley
  5. HK_User
  6. Motomom34
  7. hot diggity
  8. DarkLight
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Zimmy