GPS

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by E.L., Aug 3, 2005.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

As most of us know, this was hashed out on another forum, but I would like to start it all over again for the newbies and those not privaledged to see the previous discussion.

Which is the right GPS for me? Thanks to Melbo, and especially Quigley Sharps (who entrusted me with his GPS) I believe I know what I need. Y'all that have lots of experience with GPS let us FNGs know what everyday features you find the most usefull, and what you think will be the most usefull in survival mode.

2. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I just saw a new GPS by Garmin, didn't get the model number, but it is aviation related. It has a color map database and has the capability to uplink to XM Radio and download radar over top the map. Now, that is something I could use! I don't know if you already have a XM subscription if this will tag in, or if you have to have a whole new subscription for it. I plan on checking into this.

3. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I am already a Sirius subscriber. I bet you would have to have an extra subscription, just like if you bought another receiver.

4. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

In "survival mode" I don't know what would be best. I needed a new one for our cross-country drive to Atlanta and then Florida, and after looking at what was available I bought a Garmin Quest. Sweet little unit, color screen, 115MB of internal memory and has internal rechargable batteries. They used to use regular batteries and that may be more sensible in a survival situation where power mwy not be available. But for me the Quest is pretty cool, and it's also usable as a hand held.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16858108209

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I have an Etrx Vista as a handheld. In a vehicle, I use DeLorme Earthmate. ~$80-90 . Comes with software for a laptop and a USB receiver. Clyde and Phishi have seen/used it and it's really cool.

btw, On landing in TX for the AK build, Wife wanted coffee. I typed in "starbucks' on the search line and -cool-, I was 1.6 miles away from a latte... DeLorme has business' plugged into the points of interest including phone numbers.

Very useful program and fully map and graphical. You can print map pages from point A to B with 3 clicks

6. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I didn't want to admit it, but our GPS got used more for that than anything else! Was also great for driving well into the night, then looking ahead and making hotel reservations when we got tired.

7. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I recently bought several of the Garmin Rhino 130 radio/gps units and so far, think very highly of them. They are definately worth a look.

8. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Been looking at a Rhino 120 with GPS/FRS/GMRS.... What do you all think of these type of units?..... What is WAAS enabled?..... any suggestions? :?:

9. melbo

WAAS is a system that helps correct the accuracy. Not sure if the system is running yet, or usable everywhere.

My thought on the Rhinos are this, I like the 2 in 1 aspect, I don't think the "transmit location to another rhino user" feature would be necessary for me. The screen is small and maps may be difficult to read. Garmin makes damn good GPS units, I don't know whoi makes the Radio part.

So I'm about equally split over these things. Need some info from one who uses them.

I'm looking myself at the Garmin Etrex VistaC with the new color screen. I find that the color helps me see the maps in bright light.

10. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

11. melbo

But, I have read somewhere that WAAS was currently not 'turned on' by order of out .gov... Have to find it. My unit does no differently when I turn it on or off, "Accuracy 7 to 12 feet" clear sky, not under canopy. I'll look again on the WAAS sat info

My Parent are long range boaters. They have told me of some new stuff that claims 1/2" accuracy... I'll find that too. Well, actually I'll just go to bed and hope to remember to find it tomorrow.... 8)

12. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Finally broke down and picked up the Rino 530....
    I'll let ya'll know what I think..... pretty limited mapping software for Hawaii.....

13. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The only way to get 1/2" accuracy is for Differential GPS and there has to be a differential siter near by. Lots of them around boating and shipping lanes. Engineers use them. A point has to be surveyed and a transmission site placed on it. This transmission site allows the GPS to correct the error coming from satellites hundreds of miles up.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7