1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

grain mill options

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by doc elwin, Dec 18, 2007.

1. doc elwin

doc elwin Monkey+++

Question folks: What are some less expensive options out there to the Country Living Grain Mill? I know that CL is the best mill out there, but is there anything out there that is a viable alternative that isn't junk?

How about this model?

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_FP M100_A_name_E_Hand Grain Mill

Any other ideas?
  2. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

That was the first mill I bought, though mine had orange plastic.......it will do "in a pinch".....but it's VERY slow.....a cup of flour is 1/2 hour or more of grinding.....you'd be worn out trying to grind flour for a family.

IF you think you really will be grinding flour, bite the bullet and buy a lifetime tool....the Country Grain Mill.
  3. <exile>

<exile> Padawan Learner

This will give you an idea of the pros and cons of a few of the models out there, personally we have the Nutrimill and have used it for all of our needs for 2 years and it has run flawlessly, and lets just say our 4 kids enjoy their home ground flour. We have been looking at that model as a non-electric backup.
  4. KHAN

KHAN Monkey+++

I highly recommend the Country Living Grain Mill. Save yourself the time and energy and money ('cause you'll likely purchase it eventually) and go with it.

These guys pretty much have the best price on it. I've ordered from them many times and they are good people.

Peace out!
  5. SeptemberMage

SeptemberMage LaMOE Monkey

I bought the Family Grain Mill. it was about $130 altogether, hand crank. I was pretty happy with it. I hope to get a Country Living Grain Mill when I can afford to, but for the price this was a pretty good deal I thought. I've only been using it to practice old old old school cooking on the weekends. ;) It works pretty well.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary