Great Way to Hide Barrier Protection

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by 3M-TA3, Oct 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Way back in the 1950's a neighbor cast his fence posts out of concrete and rebar, mainly to save money. The posts were deeply set, so after he passed and the land was divided and sold, the new owner wound up leaving them in place when he planted his hedge. Fast forward thirty some years when a speeding drunk who was fleeing from police decided to attempt to drive through said hedge and happened to locate one of those posts with his F-350..

upload_2014-10-18_20-31-12.

The sixty year old post did get pushed over, but not before doing considerable damage to the truck. It got me thinking that this would be a great way to keep barrier protection flying under the radar if that's part of your defensive strategy, especially in the suburbs. Obviously you would want something more substantial and placed closer together than the 10 feet spacing my departed friend used.

Attached Files:

2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

It definitely gives one some ideas. 5 foot spacing seems about right. Nice rebar reinforced base right at ground level with 3 foot of 5 foot HD tbar fence post extending from base at slight upward horizontal angle where tip is just above or at ground level towards outside of property. (tip it by force of impact and impale the under belly of vehicle). Second pour, rebar reinforced and continuing up 3 to 4 feet, with crossways horizontal tbar fence post extending 3 to 4 feet towards outside of property. Barbed wire may be strung on these to encourage growth of foliage vines. Also in this second pour the extension of tbar fence posts vertical, extending at least 4 feet to have horizontal strung barbwire for same reason as previously. Pressure treated 2 x 4" pieces attached by tapcons to face of above ground concrete bases to string lower 2 to 3 runs of barbwire. Irrigation, temp or permanent should be run to this fenceline to expedite growth of chosen foliage shrubs, trees and vines. Consider something which will grow dense and be evergreen for your area and possibly include edible fruit species or positive medical value, or severely negative poison producing plants. All of usage for survival post SHTF. jus thinkin bout it.

gunbunny and chelloveck like this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

my dad drove rebar in the middle of a bush a neighbor kid kept riding his bike through in my front yard. of course, my mother had to run out and warn the little vandal.....:(

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That was a clear boobie trap (mothers tend to be right. Sometimes --.) Fences of concrete aren't a hidden trap, and if concealed by vines, well that's fence decoration that needs no paint; a landscaping feature. I like it, now to figure out how to do something similar around this place without breaking the bank.

chelloveck likes this.
  5. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I really like that idea , it has me thinking, i was planning on planting a hedge against one side of the house.

6. kellory

He thought of that, that is why the rebar was heavy duty stuff, and strapped to the damage bush to give it the support it clearly needed.;) why, you never see folks riding bikes through tomatoes stakes or fruit trees with staked limbs, now do you?;)
    Stupidity is it's own reward.

7. fmhuff

fmhuff Monkey+++

I have seen concrete and rock walls overlaid in ivy where you didn't notice the wall. Always thought that was a good idea.

8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

A great idea. Going to employ that very idea.

9. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

OTOH

Putting out the word that the mining outfit that used your land left a lot of sharp metel trash laying around and some of that was cut off pipes attached to dead men. This gave fair warning.

Also stopped the townies from coming around until I got my fence in some rwo years later

Worked for me.

10. kellory

Here, it would draw metal thieves.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Spread the word and get your land cleared ---

chelloveck likes this.
  12. kellory

They are already destroying my car! Three doors gone, radio, four windows and engine parts gone! If I catch them, I'll add a few ounces of lead to their haul!!!:(

13. HK_User

Until they found a cut off pipe cemented in the groud in their oil pan.

I never lied to them, just didn't tell them were the pipe was.

14. kellory

Seems like medieval facion stakes (sp?) Used for fortifications.

15. HK_User

What ever you want to call them.

All I know is that I also let the Dads and Moms know too.

16. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Personally, I'd put the concrete posts whatever distance apart you would normally find prefabricated privacy fence panels in length. That way, if you wanted to (later on), you could substitute privacy fence panels for bushes/plants. It means making them 6' high and 8' apart, which some people would worry is too far apart for security, but that's where the next part of this plan comes in.

While you're digging down for the footer of the posts (I'd say go at least a few feet, to get below the frost line and prevent heaving from freezes), making forms, setting rebar and pouring concrete, add one small feature to each post: a piece of pipe, running horizontally through the post, parallel to the direction of the future fencing (corners should have a quarter circle piece), about halfway up from the ground to the top of the post, ~3' up.

Why? Well, after you've allowed your new concrete posts to cure, and removed the forms, you'll now have a line of fence posts with the ability to run a cable or chain (depending on the size pipe you use.....cable should, of course, require a smaller piece) throughout the entire length of the fence. Personally, I'd prefer cable, but if you have a bunch of chain readily available, you might want to go that route.

The advantage of adding this is that now any vehicle that wants to run through your fence (or bushes) is going to either have to sit lower than an 80's Fiat or MG convertible (and trust me, they sit low!), or will have to take down half your fence, in order to get past that cable! Unless they're driving an M1A1 Abrahms main battle tank, they might take out a couple posts, possibly even 4 of them......but they're going to find out, rather quickly, that the cable is stopping their vehicle cold, before they get very far onto your property! Go ahead, let's see how well you can take out X number of feet of well planted, rebarred, concrete posts, with a 3/4" cable connecting them all together! ;)

Sadly, I saw the nearby military base put up posts like this, with some really nice (expensive) brickwork on the outside, after 9/11.....and then put metal privacy fence panels up in between them, without any additional security (like a cable or chain)!! Didn't take very long, and a drunk driver plowed through one of the privacy panels, with the only thing stopping them being a deep drainage ditch. The ugly chain link fence that this beautification project replaced would have done a better job! SMH

kellory likes this.
  17. kellory

Cable fences are the used here on the freeways between opposing traffic. They WILL stop a speeding car, and keep it out of traffic, (though they are using at least 1/2" stuff and four or more strands.
    As long as the concrete/wood posts are not rolled over or laid down, it would do well.

chelloveck likes this.
  18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I like it - you don't need as many posts, and larger posts could be "decorative" as well.

19. fmhuff

fmhuff Monkey+++

Of course the operating principle here is reinforced concrete post deeply set. If they are not large enough they will easily be broken and if not deep enough easily pushed over. If not close enough together then may allow a vehicle to pass through.

You could of course just put up Hesco barriers. Add a little ivy and your GTG ;-)

20. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Quite a few years ago, a guy had an Epileptic seizure in his car and he and it ended up inside our home. :eek: We got the house repaired and then Sweetie managed to find 3 VERY LARGE boulders at a landscape place. We got them placed about 3' apart on our land blocking the road. Uh, the road makes a V at our place and we are inside the V, kinda sorta. No problems since then. :p We even light them up at night with solar powered spotlights.

Kajun

gunbunny and kellory like this.
  1. Ganado
  2. HK_User
  3. Motomom34
  4. Motomom34
  5. Motomom34
  6. BelBol
  7. Bishop
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Yard Dart