Guns to acquire Pre-SHTF

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Coyote Ridge, Aug 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

ALL OF THEM!
    For me:
    FN/FAL or M-1A
    1911 double stack ether 9 mm or 10 MM which is what I always carry!
    AR SBR Carbine 5.56 with CMMG .22 LR conversion
    1903-A4 custom in standard .30/06
    1911 Compact .22 LR
    For Urban need/use, the AR is first
    for open spaces or more rural/wilds or for serious fighting,
    FAL or M-1A
    For Hunting, the 03
    For close in self defense the 10 mm
    for quiet hunting the .22 conversion
    for self defense quietly, the .22 1911 compact

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  2. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Other than I have plenty of firearms already and I do know how to use them and in a true SHTF senerio a high body count if likely or it would not be SHTF you must only be willing to do what you need to do to survive and most gun owners have multiple guns
    sure you may have to do some scavaging to get what you want or need but all part of the process of being a survivalist or whatever you want to call it

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Welcome home FerFal, and glad for your input.

4. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

doesn't have anything to do with thinking & saying that there'll be all kinds of guns just laying around >>> I hear this kind of pure crap from so-called preppers that are telling the newbies not to bother stockpiling - "X" amount of ammo is manufactured per year so that means there'll be plenty around come SHTF time - same same with firearms >>> if a newbie wants to keep his food & supplies that he prepped - live to use them - then he better be damn ready from Hour One to defend himself - any belief that you'll get something or other post SHTF is just poor prepping and a terrible dream that won't be coming true ...

jim2, STGThndr and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

OK

6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Agreed, plenty of gold and diamonds out there and you don't just see it laying in the street.

Ganado likes this.
  7. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

I must assume "lucky" implies they're deceased prior to being handed off to the feral hogs.

STGThndr, Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Lol,Louisiana is a stand your ground,Shoot the burglar,Shoot the car jacker state....You takes your chances,You may win the prize !

Lancer and Oddcaliber like this.
  9. Waydah

Waydah Monkey

As someone mentioned previously, my first choice would be a handgun, pistol preferably. One that is concealable, has a reputation as reliable, and in a common caliber (9mm). Hi-caps mags a plus. Why? Because it would be something I would carry everyday to have available should I have to provide for my personal defense. In whatever form SHTF takes, we won't be down in our 'hidey-holes' all the time. Getting out an moving around will be necessary, and I wouldn't want to either alert someone in advance that I'm armed nor would I want to appear to be a threat to whatever authorities might still be out roaming around, as would be the case carrying a long-gun or even open carry. I would just like to go unnoticed.... the "Gray Man". All the other stuff is just personal choice depending on your perceived likely situation. Get what you think you may need while you still can.

Now, allow me to switch a gear, if I may. OpSec. It really is important these days. In reading through all these comments I can fairly well determine what some of you already have. Some of you actually listed them! I'm not chiding anyone. We all like to discuss issues like this one. We are in a very unsettled period in this country. "Loose lips sink ships". :)

10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

[​IMG]
    This be how I roll! ROTFLMAO

11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I think shot gun should be number 1.
    Requires almost no skill. Very wide budget range and most versatile with single gun with chokes and appropriate ammo and if you're so inclined, a rifled barrel with adjustable sites to almost turns it into a "rifle".

STGThndr, oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Krieg Hündchen

LOL

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

"if I could only have one", and/or "what to buy first" this is the best possible answer. No job is left un-served with this. May not be (won't be!) the best option for any task, but can do any of them better than anything else. I might prefer a revolver in .357 as the first choice because it requires almost no training, in addition to it's other attributes as you mention.
    The most versatile options that come to mind such as a .22 and shotgun cannot be concealed, a most critical option to have available.
    hence "any reference to me owning firearms is purely fictional, for entertainment purposes only!"

Gator 45/70, Lancer, Waydah and 2 others like this.
  15. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

My goto guns:
    1. .22 Colt Woodsman
    2. Model 63 Winchester .22
    3. .45acp 1911
    4. Model 12 Winchester Pump 12 ga.
    5. Scoped M1A 7.62Nato
    These would be the guns that would go with me if I had to depart, Most of you know that I've got a diversified collection of arms, but these are my choice over a life-time.The 1911 is always with me.

Gator 45/70, Lancer, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I want to get an LMT 40mm grenade launcher eventually.
    But the ATF changed the class of the ammo, now even the live 40mm ammo with inert projectiles is considered a "dangerous explosive device".
    An M781 that shoots a chalk filled panty hose capsule now has special storage requirements.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

A while back when I was asked this I'd say first and foremost, a .22 cal. rifle, as many as you can buy and store. Since the ammo scarcity and subsequent vacant shelves everywhere for a very long time, I'm not quite as positive. But, I will add that as long as you've got a large supply of .22 ammunition, then it's still perfectly viable.
    This leads me to conclude that a quality air rifle and loads of pellets might actually be a decent alternative, albeit less likely to be used in any defensive manner.

Gator 45/70, Zimmy and Ura-Ki like this.
  18. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

To a point, I have to agree that an air rifle might well serve as a small game getter given a bad situation coming to your neighborhood. I'll add that it should be a higher power springer or pump up type pneumatic. While a high pressure unit can come fairly near 22s of the cb and short variety, there's also the need for a source of high pressure air.
    That said, a pump up or springer in the back of the closet is a pretty good idea, and when ammo is in short supply, it's a way to get in some practice.

19. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I've been trying to round up some more magazines lately. Scored 1 each for the 1911 and BHP. This puts me at 20 for the 1911 and 16 for the BHP.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  20. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

This topic always brings up the Shot Gun, and while they are a good tool, they surely have wide limits, and it's why I would not have one as part of my SHTF/ Post! They are large, Ammo is large and heavy, Range is very limited, and loud! Outside the limited uses, its a lot of gun to have to pack around, and your not packing very much ammo, and if you need to swing around in defensive situations, a High Power Rifle is a much better option! I would switch to a good Pistol Caliber Lever action, something in a minimum .357 Magnum ( it can also double up with your carry piece revolver) and I see that as a much more viable option! Another is the .22 Rifle ( Dedicated) This is also a pretty limited piece, and while a lot smaller and lighter then the shot gun, and you can carry a lot of ammo on you, you still have the problems of range and power, and as a defensive weapon, it's no good to you! Outside very limited use as a discrete hunting tool, I see the .22 Rifle as a waste, and why I use a AR conversion instead!
    The money saved in the Shotgun and .22 Rifle could be spent on a Suppressor for the AR, and with the .22 conversion, NOW you have a very useful tool! For those who choose a revolver as a Primary defensive piece, be sure to practice often, especially the reloading, and get your self very good at using and loading it! YES, a Wheely can be used quite effectively when you train and practice it's use, and while not the ideal in MY mind, I still have them, to me the idea is a robust and very powerful piece with serious range and power for those rare times when nothing else would do! Notice I didn't list it in my SHTF list, I would not normally have one on me, so it's not on the short list! That said, I know where they are and would grab them if I had the chance, as well as the extra cylinders, so Now I can use Black Powder and cast lead if/when cartridges run out!
    This also brings up the use of Black Powder arms, while they seem to be out dated, I can assure you, they are still just as capable as they have always been, and some form of B.P. weapon should be available to you and a supply of Powder and lead and ignition source, so you can have a useful weapon when the normal supplies of loaded ammo are all gone, or you cannot find what you need!
    Plus, you can make your own Powder and lead is every where if you know where to look, so it's a very viable solution to hunting/Survival needs!
    Air Guns, that's one I think a lot of Folks forget, or never even consider. I would get a springer and spare parts, and be sure to get the biggest bore you can, forget .177, I would go minimum .22, but would prefer something larger, say 9 mm or even .40 or .45!
    Again, a lot of gun for limited use, choose wisely!

Gator 45/70, Oddcaliber and Brokor like this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Thunder5Ranch
  9. Coyote Ridge
  10. hitchcock4
  11. john316
  12. oil pan 4