Guns to acquire Pre-SHTF

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Coyote Ridge, Aug 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

With a pellet gun you could hunt birds, not just game birds but ALL birds. The breast of a Blackbird or Robin is small, but will add some protein to your diet. Just scatter some grass seed on your driveway and wait from a hide.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

A big fat Robin is as good as a fat dove. Back in my childhood, I bagged one and cleaned it, and Dad cooked it. In his childhood during the depression, the poor families ate game that nowadays wouldn't be considered, or is illegal - like protected birds.
    I have a few air rifles, and they are as accurate as a good rimfire rifle, within their range limits. A lot quieter too.

3M-TA3, Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Yea, back then people shot sitting birds and waited for rabbits to mate so that they could get two with one shot.:sneaky:

Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  4. Has anyone had a chance to handle the Charles Daly Honcho tactical? Short barrel, pistol grip, box mag, Never thought I'd see that company release a shotgun like this..

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I may or may not have eaten a brace or two of plover in my time.

They come in right before the first wave of migrating dove here.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Many years ago I bought a brick of CB-22's. They basically turn a 22 into an air rifle. They sound as loud as a clap of the hands. I mostly use them to train young shooters or for covert urban pest control. I do need to get a couple of air rifles, though I have a lifetime supply of 22LR.

STGThndr and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

If one is going with a shotgun, mega-dittos on the extra rifled barrels... I've seen some with scopes on them for the deer fields of Michigan and other more populous eastern states (NOT my bailiwick!). A shottie with appropriate ammo can be very useful at times, but the heavy ammo, limited capacity, and slow reloading mitigate against it.
    Beaucoup .22's- both LR, hyper-velocity, and CB caps would probably be useful. Along with a selection of firearms to go with them.

In a pinch one could well be trapping stray cats and dogs, ala The Book Of Eli..

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Try CB and a silencer.
    It's like a dry fire click and the bullet smacking into something.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Colt Woodsaman? I had one of the early models. It was a sweet shooting little gun, but the magazine was worn out. It took years of searching and about $150, but I finally got another magazine...and then I sold it!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. MarkTwain

MarkTwain Monkey

Every firearm you have ammunition for and is utilized by law enforcement or the military!!

11. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

as far as trapping the smaller birds - it would be a waste of time/energy/resources to take them down individual wise - you'll have better things to do >>>

you stretch a gill net or two across the glidepath the birds will be using to reach a laid out bird feast - you can also check out the DIY UTubes on a spring mounted hoop net trap >> couple dozen little chirpees beats an empty pot every time

3cyl, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Black Starlings according to my friend are pretty poor bland eating.
    He prefers doves quail or robins over starlings everyday of the week.

VisuTrac likes this.
  13. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I've got a great-nephew that has just started shooting with the Red Rider BB gun he got for Christmas. When he is older, I plan to get him a Steven's 311 SxS .410 shotgun. My Father owned a Steven's 311 20 GA, and I recently got a 311 12GA. I had a childhood friend that had a 311 in .410 and it was a neat little gun.

VisuTrac, Gator 45/70 and CraftyMofo like this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Had a 311-A 12 gauge I duck hunted with, Tough as nails side by side and took many a duck, rails and gallinule's.

CraftyMofo likes this.
  15. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Any information on this 22 short rim fire?
    IMG_1598.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Probably still work but why? Wall hanger ol gal has earned a break!

17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Run it.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Winchester 1885 Low Wall? Should have faint roll mark on top of the tang.

Old single shots are usually fine shooters. If the bore is poor you could have it relined and chamber it in .22 Long Rifle.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I proofed one of those once and it tested fine pointed down behind a tree. When I fired it horizontally for accuracy the block rolled down and the blast shattered my polycarbonate shooting glasses' frames and blinded me for 4 hours. I was left blind and walking 50 yds back to and into the house and dialing rotary phone by braille to get some help.

The one I tested was 22LR.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Plainsman

Plainsman Monkey

Latest studies are saying that almost 50 percent of American homes now have a firearm! Yay, people are making use of their 2A right. Many learned during/after covid that they need to defend themselves and their families.

Gun ownership in the U.S. 1972-2022 | Statista

So what are all these new gun owners buying?

My guess is mostly handguns in the usually calibers, 9mm, .380, .40, etc followed by shotguns and/or ARs in our favorite chamberings 12/20 ga and 5.56/.223.

3cyl likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Thunder5Ranch
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. hitchcock4
  10. john316
  11. oil pan 4