Hair length?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TinyWildThing, Nov 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have to agree, The tingle in the whiskers gets stronger each and every day!

2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

My Wife is Scandinavian, Finnish .
    Long hair
    Every ? (guessing here 1.5-2 years) she gets cuts off a wig amount of 1.5 foot ? or so . Was light but were all grey now. Lots of brushing and always in a braid & bun up in coil under a hat or around the neck , or down inside her shirt .
    Always a brush in AM & PM I think she washes it once a month in the shower with no scented shampoo .
    Drying is a 4 hr thing with a few sweat shirt swaps , she washes just areas of the hair if she gets any goop in it.
    If your eating just real food , your body oils are in control.
    Processed food on trips with her , she has a hard time with her hair. She went back home last year for 1/2 the year as her parent passed. She says it's hared all over to get real non mucked with food & that's a difference to her.

IM lucky , RFL .
    Sloth

Ura-Ki, Motomom34 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  3. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Well, back in the day, and I mean baaaaaack, I was able to grasp my hair at my belt! :cool: But, I had full washing equipment! Now days, it's as short as I can buzz it off! I wish it would just go away! It's just mating plumage anyway, and I mated 46 years ago!:D Oh, short mustache and goatee. So you can all visualize just what a dream boat I am!

Edited, to say it was this short in Korea, in the Army! I never suffered from a lack of hair, easy enough to keep the head warm. Feet were the problem! Immersion foot then Frost bite and then on to Gangrene! Scary stuff! The night I flew out it was -33* and the wind was howling out of Siberia!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    Ura-Ki, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  4. TinyWildThing

TinyWildThing Monkey

Wow, thank you for these many answers!
    I have to say my hair have always been a little struggle to me. I like to think of myself as a very practical girl, who wants to crawl through the forest without being annoyed by strainds of hair flowing over my face, and no matter how tight I bind them back, they always find their way out to freedom.
    On the other hand I have to agree to the spiritual (and asthetic) view of having long hair improves your sences.

Whatever, I see now that many ladies can live with their hair as it is, maybe I should give it a try too.
    I started to have them get used to fewer washings, it was a hard and itchy time, but now Im down to 1 washing session a week without getting greasy or totally disgusting :D

Where I´m going, there will be a sauna (we already built it) so it maybe wont be that much of an issue with the warm water, thanks for reminding me of that.

I smiled when I read the story of you and your daughter in the kitchentub with the water of collected Icicles! I want my life to be like that too, thats why I decided to leave the civilized life I lived.

Im going to keep my hair and comb and braid and cover it with fleece hats. Thank you all!

Ura-Ki and Sgt Nambu like this.
  5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

@Ganado , my hair is pretty long.

6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Seacowboys we all have different body types and oily or not so oily head. So whatever works is great!

Ura-Ki and Sgt Nambu like this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yeah... @Ganado you're not the only one who has had long hair! I once had long hair back in the 90's (omg I am getting old talking like this) and just because we're not women, doesn't mean we don't know what we are talking about! So there!
    [kissit]

P.S. use peppermint to smell nice and it really does work. And you can brush it all day if you like, too. *sigh*
    [winkthumb]

Ura-Ki, Sgt Nambu and Ganado like this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Lol ok you use peppermint on yours, I'll use bermot. I hate smelling like chewing gum. :eek::p

Ura-Ki, Sgt Nambu and Brokor like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The brush matters also. Make sure you have a good brush. Certain bristles are the best. Not those plastic ones but the wood handle natural brushes. I have no clue the name, I know it when I see it.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  10. TinyWildThing

TinyWildThing Monkey

I have two brushes I regularly use right now. One for the first combing to sort the mess made of wood with wooden bristles and one for the second combing made of wood and "wild boar"? bristles (cant trust the google translator here^^) for the fine work. It takes a bit of a time till they all finally let go of each other, especially after a long day outside with windy weather, but at the end its worth the fight
    I dont like the smell of peppermint very much, i sometimes cleanse my hair with a mixture of camomiletea and vinegar. The smell of vinegar goes away instantly and the camomile scent stays a little longer. I created a little "hair perfume" to spray on with honey and vanilla extract when I want a nice breeze.

Ura-Ki, Sgt Nambu and ditch witch like this.
  11. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

My hair is down to my butt, naturally curly and super thick. I wash it once every 2 weeks and use a bentonite clay "hair wash", followed by a rinse with apple cider vinegar. My hair does not stink, hang in a greasy matt or dreads, or otherwise look/feel/smell dirty, however it took a couple of months to adapt. I can go 3 weeks between washes but it starts to get a little greasy looking at the roots around that time so I don't try for longer.

Frankly it looks better now than it ever did when I washed it every day with a commercial shampoo/conditioner. I do brush it every day with a boars hair brush to get the oils to distribute, and I have a crazy dry scalp anyway, so what works for me might not work for you.

Oltymer, Ura-Ki, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  12. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

boar bristle?

supposed to be good but my hair Hated the one I had, now use a brush with wood pins,

Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

You can make your own Hair brush using Elk Hair from the cape near the back of the neck! Use a hair stacker like used for tying flies and epoxy to your brush handle using pins of what ever you like in the middle! I find it helps spread the natural oils through out your hair much better and the brush cleans up really easy when needed. I use Goose Quill for the pins! You can use Goose quills for many things, and don't forget Porcupine quills have many uses as well!

14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

[worthless]

15. TinyWildThing

TinyWildThing Monkey

Hello Sloth,
    no, I am not from the US and I must admit I´m having big trouble even understanding what you mean. That is probably because I am not. The english we learn in our schools here is rather....different.
    But if I get your EDIT right, all this wasn´t meant for me in the first place.
    Regards

Brokor likes this.
  16. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

LOL [LMAO] Good ol' Sloth. He's a great conversationalist, but it does take a little practice reading what he types.

We have so many amazing Monkey's here.

Ganado likes this.
  17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

And yes, there is another (username) Leah on SM. You got the edit right.

1. Ganado
  2. oldman11
  3. Big Ron
  4. hot diggity
  5. Motomom34
  6. DKR
  7. DKR
  8. Motomom34
  9. BlackhawkFan
  10. 3M-TA3
  11. 3M-TA3
  12. SquashedOlives