Haragei

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Hanzo, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

A good skill to develop.

In civil or interpersonal communication, it means to kind of understanding the meaning of what someone is trying to say. To get the gist of it. To be able to infer meaning.

From a martial standpoint, it means to feel intent and maybe anticipate something. An attack for example.

It means the art of the lower belly. The lower belly is our center, our dantien.

So basically learning to listen to your gut.

So with my daughter's Chinatown adventures, I did not feel the guy in my truck probably because he was asleep. Or he hid really well.

The week after the stowaway, I take her again. Same thing. Walk her in. Make sure she is good. Walk back to the truck. I checked inside and in the bed first this time. Hung out at a restaurant. When I went to get her, I had to park about two blocks away. And as I am getting close to her studio, I get the feeling. I scan and about half a block ahead of me, I see a couple coming towards me and a guy about 15-20 yards behind the couple. I am on hyper alert. On high alert just because I am in Chinatown at night. The couple pass me. The feeling is from them. They look like homeless druggies. The guy passes. I stop and look in the store window, mainly to check my back trail. The couple turned around and were heading back towards me. So I turn into a stairwell and truck it up to the first landing and wait. If they came after me, they would have to make a blind turn and I would be there. I still sense their presence, but they did not follow me up. So I go up some more. Now I can look down and see the whole stairwell. Thet did not come in.

So I go to my daughter's studio. Let her know that I am there. And I go to empty my bladder to make ready to get back onto the street. So after she chats a bit with the folks there, we leave. So I go out first. I still feel them nearby. Stepping onto the street, my attention was all around. We were clear. But I see them walking half a block away in the direction of my truck. So keeping my daughter close, we close on them, but get to the truck while they were safely away. Quick truck check, then I get my daughter inside. I get in, lock up and drive away.

The reason for the hyper alert state is not because they were homeless looking. The last time I felt it that strongly was also in Chinatown during the lunch hour. Again, I scan the source about half a block away. So I am ready if something were to happen to me. But the person avoided me. Probably felt my alert state or saw a ready posture. Clocked the person next to me. Swore at her and split. Thankfully, no one was hurt.

Cultivate and listen to your gut. I always do.

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Situational awareness is paramount to ones daily travel and encounters. ;)

3. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

@Hanzo [biggrouphug] [biggrouphug] @ all yall

ya never know when a horde of level 68 scorched might jump ya .. .. yall be safe!!

hows that CCW comin??

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

No idea what level 68 scorched might be. Sadly NO CCW in Hawaii. (n) But I am never unarmed. I worry more for the monkey. But she feels safe with e taking her and has no worries. Wifee thinks she should dance somewhere else. I agree. But monkey is an adult now. WHAT?!? Yup. And she likes the style and the people there. So I keep pulling security and transport detail. Guess the little monkey calling me Butler (Artemis Fowl) is not off.

5. sec_monkey

HK_User and Hanzo like this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Video game... gotcha. Not much of a video game player. But got my sticks and machetes, bolos and khukhuris, swords and other assorted weapons. Are those creatures more foul than some people? So sad no Hawaii CCW. Will get the girls their own handguns at 21. Maybe shotguns too. Legal age to own in Hawaii.

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

HK_User and sec_monkey like this.
  8. sec_monkey

76 is a post-apocalyptic survival simulator

it is online and has a cooperative mode, a survival mode, and a yuuuuuge battle mode

Lucy will help monkeys level up plus plus in cooperative mode .. ..

3M-TA3, HK_User and Hanzo like this.
  9. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I read a fun article once about how they have plenty of big dumb Samoans that like to rob tourist. A Hawaiian I worked with confirmed the number of violent thugs who prey on Howlees. Nothing like a large individual coming out of the bushes with a machete.

Hanzo, Gator 45/70 and tacmotusn like this.
  10. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I have my own levels of security and situational awareness. Lowest Green ... all is well and feeling bliss. next White ... aware, armed (always) no threats perceived or felt, not alone, with like minded friends. Yellow ... cautious, head on swivel, gut feeling is anything is possible, may be alone or with innocents that may be a liability. Red ... Not comfortable at all. WTF am I doing here. Possibly in crowd who may object to me for some reason. Prepared for anything and running possible escape routes or safety zones in my head of my surroundings. Moving out of area because it just doesn't feel right. Possible attack likely. Next level is SHTF free fire zone, all threats evaluated, am mentally counting bullets available before back at replenishment point.

Hanzo, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Do you now carry a staff or fighting cane back and forth ?

Hanzo likes this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I had a large individual come out of the bushes at my when I was younger and in school. Not Samoan, but Haole Hawaiian. But big. I do not remember exactly what transpired in those few seconds except looking down at him on the ground. Then he crawled back, turned tail and ran away. And as he ran away, he yelled back, “I’m going to get you after school.” And I actually felt a little afraid. We tend to fear the unknown. Did not know if buddies or weapons were going to be involved. Went through the day super alert. Never saw him again that day. After that, it was like nothing happened. Figured he would be embarrassed a little guy put him down.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

No. But that’s an idea. Maybe a rolled up magazine to start. Can do a bit of fast damage with that. And there is the whole, “Officer, I only had something read while I wait. And the metal pen for jotting notes. But there is DNA on the pen if you need it.”

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Carry a staff and one of those noise makers that the Aborigines are famous for......Twirl that baby walking down the street.....

Sometimes acting just as crazy as they are tends to clear a pathway for you............

sec_monkey and Hanzo like this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Bull roarer... Or I could just yell "infidel!" at everyone that goes by. But then, this is a small town. Friends, family, clients, and students might hear I am crazy. Or at least then they will know the truth...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7