Has any one considered a second language as a survival strategy

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by arleigh, Apr 8, 2016.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Klingon is probably not real popular with Waukesha, Wisconsin PD..:D

The Oswald shooting was the biggest story in Waukesha, Wisconsin in decades. I was an editor on the news desk that morning when we heard on the police scanner about an armed bank robbery. The robbers were no ordinary thieves -- They were a former CPA named James Oswald who spoke Klingon and had amassed an arsenal of automatic weapons, and his teenaged son, Ted. As the heavily armed pair fled the bank, they gunned down a police officer as he sat in his car, shattered the patio door of a home and took a woman inside hostage. They forced her to drive them through a hail of gunfire in her van; she was hit by a bullet and jumped out. The Oswalds continued to drive, exchanging gunshots with police in a residential neighborhood in a drama that only ended then the van crashed into a tree.

Kay Nolan, copy editor, news reporter, freelance writer in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    Seepalaces likes this.
  2. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I don't even know what I'm saying sometimes, so I don't even bother figuring out what other people are trying to say...

Bandit99, Tikka, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  3. saltbush

saltbush Monkey

I read and write seven languages besides English, so of course I'm bound to consider adding as many as you can an indispensable survival skill. Many Americans, such as myself, have a few different ones already in their veins and we're not totally here, with everything that came with us at birth, if don't at least give them a voice through our own individuality, our own viewpoints, our own experiences. There are parts of us that don't even wake up unless we embrace all of our bloodlines in every aspect. That's just my own opinion, of course. :) I'm adding two more this year. Once you learn to shift those internal gears to perceive the world through the lense of your first 'second language,' you can learn ten more with far less trouble. VHestin has a point though, no matter what you speak.

Bandit99 and Seepalaces like this.
  4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I speak American and southern red neck.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I have to wonder who you might communicate with using any of those 7 (+2) languages. Impressed.

Seepalaces likes this.
  6. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Constructed language, unique to your group, for covert communication. Sign language for non verbal communication.

A planned or constructed language (sometimes called a conlang) is a language whose phonology, grammar, and vocabulary have been consciously devised for human or human-like communication, instead of having developed naturally. It is also referred to as an artificial or invented language.

There is lots of info on the net about how to do it and the word set does not have to be that large. 200 words will cover a lot of communications.

arleigh and Ganado like this.
  7. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Which makes it even better for those that do.

Tikka and arleigh like this.
  8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Of Coarse aye speke Anglish....but wud teyke Geoffrey Chaucer t' ken it......

And for ther is no theef with-oute a louke,

That helpeth him to wasten and to souke

Of that he brybe can or borwe may,

Anon he sente his bed and his array

Un-to a compeer of his owne sort,

That lovede dys and revel and disport,

And hadde a wyf that heeld for countenance

A shoppe, and swyved for hir sustenance.

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

try navajo
    Code talkers are people in the 20th century who used obscure languages as a means of secret communication during wartime. The term is now usually associated with the United States soldiers during the world wars who used their knowledge of Native American languages as a basis to transmit coded messages. In particular, there were approximately 400–500 Native Americans in the United States Marine Corps whose primary job was the transmission of secret tactical messages. Code talkers transmitted these messages over military telephone or radio communications nets using formal or informally developed codes built upon their native languages. Their service improved the speed of encryption of communications at both ends in front line operations during World War II.

The name code talkers is strongly associated with bilingual Navajo speakers specially recruited during World War II by the Marines to serve in their standard communications units in the Pacific Theater. Code talking, however, was pioneered by Cherokee and Choctaw Indians during World War I.

Other Native American code talkers were deployed by the United States Army during World War II, including Lakota,[1] Meskwaki, and Comanche soldiers. Soldiers of Basque ancestry were also used for code talking by the U.S. Marines during World War II in areas where other Basque speakers were not expected to be operating.

10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Thanks Ganado ,
    My point is though an obscure language can be an offense to some people ,the fact is a groups security trumps the acceptance of an enemy.
    Technically any one not part of your team is an enemy ,in a survival atmosphere .
    If you are using a radio to communicate ,the better you can maintain a margin of security in your conversation, the longer that communication can be of value.
    I know what it's like to b the odd one out in an environment no one spoke english , it is disarming and unsettling, however I was the intruder to their environment not vise versa .

Ganado likes this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I was in Montreal Canada when they were removing all English from outdoor signage.
    Even map directions are a pain in the butt, when you don't speak the language well.

12. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Dollars always speak the Language, in doubt?
    Flash a few C notes and see if you get a "non English speaking" shop keeper's attention.

Works any place in the world I have been, and that ain't no small area of space or time.

Thunder5Ranch and Ganado like this.
  13. Gray Bear

Gray Bear Monkey+++

"Excuse me, stewardess, I speak jive..."

Couldn't resist the 'Airplane reference. :)

I had French 40 plus years ago in HS, but now all it's good for is pronouncing the names watching the NHL.

Ganado likes this.
  14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I know about 40 year old French. Used it twice "for real", once in Morocco and again with a native French inspector that was working for me at the time. Other than that, sure don't remember a lot. That said, I believe it would not take long to regain the lost vocabulary sufficient to be understood and understand. I have to think that the more ways you have to communicate, the better. Fer zample, if you live along the Rio Grande, spanish might be pretty useful. Along the St. Laurence, Quebecois could be valuable. Different regions will demand other languages or patois.

kellory likes this.
  15. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

According to my English mates, I have trouble with English. Or, in their words, as a yank, I have bastardized English. :)

However, in my mind, they cannot speak proper American. :D

16. yeti695

yeti695 Monkey+

I have thought about learning another language. Something that is not spoken around the area that I'm at. I should learn to speak Spanish due to being close to a border state.

17. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

You learn the right Spanish, and it'll carry you pretty. Forget the school taught curriculum, learn how to orer a beer, find the toilet, and "soy no narco". haha.

18. AbbyL

AbbyL Monkey

I actually know 3 forms of sign language, fluently; and know how to read, write and/or speak a few words and/or phrases in over 20+ languages.... For someone who has had a passion for learning other languages and about other cultures, I find that it helps to foster both peace, safety and understanding ...for survival and overcoming strife, challenges and predators! It is good to learn and understand all environmental surrounds and components/elements within or interjected within our surroundings; it increases the chances of survival and desired results for a restful safe-haven to live in. I do not believe it fosters war and fighting, unless those who stir up strife, lack maturity and understanding...or simply become afraid of what they do not know or understand, stirring up hate, division and strife. They see the negative aspect, instead of the positive useful aspect of learning other languages and about other cultures; they rely upon puppet-on-a-string cookie-mold-cutout man-made sheepel traditions that limits them to being weak in problem solving skills. It is not their fault, to a large degree...it was just how they were raised. It takes sage wise wisdom and faith, to be patient with those who are less mature or lack understanding. After all, we ALL lack areas of maturity, needing to grow from one maturity & faith level to the next. Together, though, we can all become balance in a family group, and overcome life challenges, as family...not just friends. Respecting each others differences, learning how to acquire "Adaptation Survival Skills" within each ever-changing challenging environment we find ourselves in, and compassionately thinking about the needs of all within a community, will foster a strong family for overcoming any challenge....seeing the gifts, talents and strengths each individual DOES contribute to the Whole group......that is True wisdom.

chelloveck and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  19. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

We learn something new every day, for sure.
    I never knew there were different forms of sign language. Never had a clue.

20. AbbyL

AbbyL Monkey

Ochin kharo`shaya! Ty Vidish Kharo`shaya.

1. DKR
  2. William Warren
  3. bumpshadow
  4. hitchcock4
  5. DKR
  6. Bandit99
  7. BTPost
  8. DKR
  9. BenP
  10. Hanzo
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid