Has any one considered a second language as a survival strategy

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by arleigh, Apr 8, 2016.

1. AbbyL

AbbyL Monkey

Aside from business, learning other languages in this day and time, is a wise investment of time for keen survival skills...but Not because of anyone in the community group. If you live in a group that you feel you can not trust then that is not a wise place to live; and distrust because of maturity level is different from predatory motivated selfish people....big difference that requires discernment, patience and wisdom, to make the Right decision of where to live and be. It is always wise for self-sustain off-grid communities to have daily/weekly activities together, for foster healthy group relations and working together...getting to know each other better, to build/foster trust, unity, strength and understanding in a healthy positive way.

Bandit99 and Motomom34 like this.
  2. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Not sure how well it would help me in a survival situation. But, I speak conversational Cebuano from having lived in country for 11 years. I have a desire to learn German, now. I also want to learn French again. (I took a course in French, during my school years.)

3. AbbyL

AbbyL Monkey

In case you did not understand my poor Russian skills, I said "Very Good! You See Good': When I said you see good, it means you are wise, with indepth understanding and eagle-eye observational skills for not only adapting for survival, but have the ability to also make a positive impacting difference in life for overcoming predators, hate and devastation.....

4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

A second language is more than a nicety anymore. Growing up in SoAz I picked up a lot of Spanglish, which is worthless 50 miles south of the border....

I ensured all of the kinder took a second language in skool. Spanish, Japanese (we live in AK, it works) and the daughter picked up ASL. That landed her a job at the local ER as an admissions clerk. The grandkinders are working oh German and Spanish.

The (Latin) Spanish lessons from Rosetta Stone aren't bad - but now there is just too much free stuff to be found on line to bother with the pay-4-lessons.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Rather utopian, but a good goal. The question is whether or not those who don't grasp the wisdom will give those of us that do sufficient time to educate them. Lock and load, then talk.

6. AbbyL

AbbyL Monkey

Yes, there are different forms of sign language in the United States. There is ASL-American Sign Language, the main language of Deaf in America; there is PSE-Pigon Sign Language-a combination of ASL & ESL that are accepted within the deaf community used by hearing who do not fully know or understand ASL completely; and then there is ESL-Straight English Sign Language that does not make complete sense to a deaf person who has never heard the spoken English language. Deaf do not like it classified as such, but I classify ASL as a pure picture language that makes more sense than spoken English in many ways. Also, within each state, each deaf group and family, has their own personal sign language words. And around the world, each country and region, has their own sign language, that is different from ASL, since they live in a different country and environment; Although, there are about 5 other countries who do use ASL to teach their deaf and as a form of communication with and among the deaf. The other countries that use ASL: Nairobi Kenya Africa; Dominican Republic; A Catholic Orphanage in Mexico City Mexico; 1 Provence Somewhere in China, taught by Christian Missionaries; and 1 other place I can't remember. Other than that, each country, province and area, has their own sign language among and for communicating with the deaf.

It's not just about learning another language, it is about understanding the environment each group lives in. Even understanding how plants develop within the environment one lives in and the way animals communicate and react or behave, and understanding each person within each group, is just as valuable and important...and in a way, is a form of learning/understanding a different language. I call it understanding the language of your environment. When having to deal with external conflict imposed upon any living community, it is vital to rationalize problem solving skills wisely for making the best choices; if not, then poor decisions can lead to detrimental consequences that make it more challenging to overcome survival challenges ....or could lead to the unthinkable that one can not overcome or recover from. Environmental Language Learning Skills, to me, is also a form of "The Law Of Adaptation", being applied for survival, wisely. Learning how to be at one with your environment, without loosing who you are as a unique individual. Blending in for safety, yet NOT Loosing Who You Are that makes you unique. Yet also a way of finding problem solving skills wisely. Wisdom that helps foster and save lives.

I am sorry to hear of your bad experiences. I just want to say Thank you for serving our country, protecting and keeping people safe. It is deeply appreciated! From someone who has overcome and is overcoming much abuse & persecution, who understands what you face and deal with, way more than anyone should ever have to......I do understand and I am most deeply thankful for all you and other armed service men & women go through/overcome, just to keep people safe & Free! Huge hugs to you and all who serve to keep people safe & free, with Honorable Integrity!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2017
    Yard Dart and Motomom34 like this.
  7. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Folks I will need to watch my 6 know the talk and walk the walk.
    In short Libs need not apply.

So just who is rearranging the post????????

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  8. AbbyL

AbbyL Monkey

I am not a liberal, but a Messianic Jew who believes in living and applying the word of GOD to every day life, who was also raised in the country growing up...learning the ways of the land, taught by my Part Choctaw Native American Father. I believe in fostering life as much as possible, but also believe in Protecting From/exposing predators as a woman warrior for justice. That definitely makes me NOT a liberal. Most liberals, like predators, do not believe in mutual respect for life.....and are selfish, abusive, and self-centered. They only look out for their own interest with hidden-agenda ulterior motives and do not speak or see whole-picture Full-Truth. They hid behind a smoke-screen front and mask. I do not. I boldly speak the truth and try to find problem solving resolutions that benefit everyone fairly.... If you judge someone before ever getting to know them, you many just be loosing out on finding a very rare priceless treasure that could serve the community well....

Gator 45/70, arleigh, Dont and 2 others like this.
  9. HK_User

You ask I replied. I do not feel I must justify ever statement or question.

In short I have neither the time or personality to adapt to all comers.

The folks I trust are those I think I know, in time of emergency that is the way it must be.

Train a lot bleed a little and hope for the best.

10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Da! Yah gavaru ochen khorosho noh cheetayu uzhasno. Yah jeel manoga lett v staroam SSSR, vezdair... Ah Ty?

"Ty Vidish Kharo`shaya." ... 'vidish' means 'to see' but I think you were trying to ask me if I 'read' Russian which I do but at a 3rd grade level LOL! I do speak rather well but I am starting to lose it quickly now since I've been back, 3 years this December. Sometimes, I will reach for a word and it's no longer there. My wife tries to keep me interested in the language but it is more important she improves her English

EDIT: "In case you did not understand my poor Russian skills, I said "Very Good! You See Good': When I said you see good, it means you are wise, with in-depth understanding and eagle-eye observational skills" Ahhh... I understand now but not sure it will translate that way (native speaker wife says 'no'), sometimes our simple meaning simple won't translate as Russian seems to have a specific word for everything which is why they have 4.5 million words to English 2 million or so...BTW the word for 'wise' written phonetically is 'Moodree' or perhaps 'Moodryy'

11. Bandit99

I gotta ask...where it the hell did you learn it? I spent some time there in the late 80's, early 90's, climbing, picked up the polite basics (hello, goodbye, thank you...) but not enough to converse...

12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I went to Nepal as part of a Community College course in 1980. We were given materials to study including language. After we got to Kathmandu we had a solid week of language intensive study. We were only allowed to speak Nepalese for 6-8 hours per day. One of the things that stands out if you are in Kathmandu is how much noise you hear at almost any time of the day, and in the evenings you would hear a lot of people chattering. I still remember the moment that the sing song chatter became voices I could mostly understand one evening. We also very carefully covered cultural aspects so that we could interact without accidentally offending people.

It was an invaluable skill both in the city and on the trail. I learned a lot more about the people met than I otherwise would have. We trekked from just outside of Kathmandu to Kangjang in the Langtang Valley even briefly sneaking into Tibet one afternoon. The route back went over Gosainkund. We slept at near 20,000 ft before crossing a higher pass the next day. I lost 40 lbs in the three weeks and a few days we were on the trail.

13. Bandit99

That explains it. There is nothing better to learn a language than total immersion, as I learned the hard way. LOL!! I never got to Tibet. We tried a couple times but the damn Chinese were always closing it by the time we got there, plus I had a clearance so I did not want to risk getting caught on the wrong side of the border if you know what I mean. LOL!

14. AbbyL

AbbyL Monkey

Russian is such a beautiful language. The Little that I do know how to speak properly and correctly, I can say very well..so much so that when I start speaking/introducing myself to a stranger in Russian who is from Russia, that they automatically think I am from Russia....but I only know a little and study it sometimes..... I speak it better than read or write it. When I respond to someone online with a little Russian, I use one of my language learning books to spell words properly....but with "broken Russian", trying to make use of words in Russian, with English concepts.... but it doesn't always work, even when I explain my meaning in English... But at least I try. It is good that you are learning Russian from your wife. Everyone I have ever met in years past, from Russia, have always been such nice, kind and loving people who believe like I believe, in treating guest like family. Good people.

Thank you for teaching me a new word, because I could not find that word in any of my books. Bahlshoy Spehcevuh! Ya gavaretiy nimnoguh Pyruskiy. Ya Studienta Pyruskiy nimnoguh. Razreh shehtey pritstavitzuh minya zyvoot, Abby. Ochin Preyatnuh! Thank you so much. Sorry for English-like phonetical spelling of how those Russian words sound when spoken. as I said earlier, I can speak what little I know, better than writing it. I hope all is well. These are such hard times for everyone. I always pray and hope for peace, unity and understanding. It truly is nice to meet you both, even if it is only online.

With Much Respect, AbbyL

15. AbbyL

AbbyL Monkey

I never asked a question, I only sympathized with your bad experiences and life challenges, as well as thanked you for serving our country. I truly was not trying to be offensive to you, only paying respects with sincere genuine love and care. that's all. nothing more, nothing less. And believe me, I have been through and overcome a lot of abuse, have had to deal with/confront and expose predatory abusers....so I understand your last response very well. All too well. I still try to believe In the best with hope and give people a chance until I see signs otherwise, that I can`t trust them. I have learned the hard way. Life experiences of overcoming a very bad abuser, has taught me well... Again, No disrespect to you. Just simply, Thank You, most sincerely. I wish you all the best. Love & Respect, AbbyL

Yard Dart likes this.
  16. HK_User

Sorry kid, you are a bit lost and are replying to a different post.

I never said a thing about having any bad times.

Ref #48 and #49 to find your way.

AS well as it looks as if someone has attempted to compile your post and intermingled mine with something else.

Good luck, time for me to leave this tangled web to the Mods.

Since as shown below the Mods did a bit of work on yours and YD post.
    "

Yard Dart said:
    I know fluent Sergeant.....but most folks know what I am saying if they listen carefully..... you just have to pick out the words of substance, from the words of "encouragement"!!! ;)

My ex tried to teach me spanish... but it was mostly the bad words she called me. :)

I am sorry to hear of your bad experiences. I just want to say Thank you for serving our country, protecting and keeping people safe. It is deeply appreciated! From someone who has overcome and is overcoming much abuse & persecution, who understands what you face and deal with, way more than anyone should ever have to......I do understand and I am most deeply thankful for all you and other armed service men & women go through/overcome, just to keep people safe & Free! Huge hugs to you and all who serve to keep people safe & free, with Honorable Integrity!

Last edited by a moderator: Today at 15:10

17. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Signing in the dark, may be a comic lark,
    But when in the dark, under sail....I Braille ;)

Gafarmboy and Yard Dart like this.
  18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I only know one thing in sign language.... and it usually gets me in trouble...

oldawg and Bandit99 like this.
  19. Bandit99

"I speak it better than read or write it."
    The real beauty of the Russian language is that it is spoken like it is written and, of course, written like it is spoken - totally different from the English language - which is a friggin mess in my opinion. However, to give English its due, it is very easy to learn to speak...but forget about reading and writing, disaster.

"Sorry for English-like phonetically spelling of how those Russian words sound when spoken."
    Eta Neecheevo! I understood everything you said perfectly, not to worry, and I am quite impressed coming from someone that has not had to learn it and got it from a book. Well done! And, keep it up!

"...but with "broken Russian", trying to make use of words in Russian, with English concepts..."
    Yes, that is the biggest difference and, of course, where to put the verb, and the damn genders (which aren't as bad as German, in my opinion) but I still do, at too many times, what I call (and wife and others call) English-Russian but not to worry because it is easily understandable. Do not let that stop you because it's not perfect. The more you speak, the more you learn. Besides, Russians are much like English speakers in that if one tries they respect it and work with you. Gavareet Samnoy! LOL!

"Everyone I have ever met in years past, from Russia, have always been such nice, kind and loving people who believe like I believe, in treating guest like family."
    Well, I have had some incidents over the years, mostly with older people, about our support to Afghanistan during Soviet occupation (overcome by reminding them of their support to North Vietnam) and even some of my relatives concerning the two very different versions of World War II history - like they were not aware they actually started it by invading Poland from the East while Hitler took the West - but yes, they are genuinely good people. Actually, I find them less pampered, more down to earth and likeable in many ways more so than most Americans. But, in our defense (I am after all American), they have not been in the modern world very long with its law suites, criminal scams, political correctness and all the other baggage that infest and are the plague of America... Having returned after a lifetime aboard, I find most Americans, stand offish, cautious, not wanting to know you - basically afraid of you - but think about it, can you blame them? The younger Russian generation, especially the major city young Russians are not quite as bad but are much like the Americans, like the Germans, French...big, dirty cities after all are nothing more than big, dirty cities, cesspools... I think the difference is Russia is so big, that the country concept (they call it a 'village') is still alive and well. Most of the government money goes into the cities so village people learn how to do without or learn how to do, making for down to earth, well grounded people. Just my opinion of course...:)

20. AbbyL

AbbyL Monkey

Zdr`ahstvooyti! Dobriy Dyen! : ) Bal`sh`oye Spas`iba. Thank you. Dah/Yes, I will keep trying to learn it along-side my Hebrew. I Love both languages very much. And do have 6 Russian Language Learning Cassette Tapes that Accompany 2 of my 3 Russian Language learning books, to learn from. I learned the alphabet first, so I could learn how to pronounce the words properly, when studying them in the books. It helps me tremendously; plus past friends from Russia and strangers I meet, teach me how to say and learn new words. I am not shy about introducing myself or wanting to meet people. Although I have had a hard life growing up and have overcome MUCH unthinkable abuse that most people can not even begin to understand, I still have Love and Compassion in my Heart for people and life. I can not change that and who I am. Although I am more wise and cautious, and can spot a predatory person a mile a way.....and try to be wise as to how I deal with those situations. I believe Love, Wisdom and Understanding Can Heal and Unify people, no matter where they are from; but of course they have to choose and want it. Mutual Love & Respect goes a long way, towards fostering peace and understanding.

I have always been inspired by how resilient the Russian people have been, in overcoming such hardship and oppression, throughout the years. I have been inspired with how humble and loving they can still be, like me, in spite of what had happened to them so unjustly through the years; and have been inspired of how wise they are with survival skills, using wisdom in how and when to fight back in different ways for survival and safety, when absolutely necessary in different ways. I have so much to learn and choose not to stop learning, finding meaning in life with my life and not to give up hope; even when I have feelings of hopelessness at times. It is being honest about ALL I think, see, feel and believe, that helps me to overcome ...heal...and strive for a better hopeful future each day.....coupled with my faith, Most Importantly.

It is true, when our weaknesses are exposed, predators come out from hiding to pounce upon/pray upon those who are vulnerable...but what they do not realize is that it is actually a strength to heal, grow, learn and become wise...to grow from one Maturity & Faith level to the next. I believe Eventually, as promised, Humanity will be restored as family...and those who are rooted in predatory ways that are unjust and unfair, will be done away with if they do not change their ways.

As far as learning other languages I wish to learn, I have my own language learning system that helps me learn how to speak and remember how to say words properly in other languages. It may be wrong for others or according to learning rules/protocols, but it works for me; writing out how words sound in other languages, but with English phonetics that I hear and can understand, like beautiful music...Listening to Music I love, in those languages, on YouTube....Introducing myself to strangers in public who speak the language I know a little of and want to learn, in their native language, and asking them how to say new words....Going to Festivals, at times, that are of the Nationality of people who speak the language I want to learn and know a little of....Listening to language learning CD's and studying the books... listening to language learning videos online....and watching international stations on television, when possible, in the other languages I am interested in learning or want to understand.

I feel like my life has some meaning, when I connect with other, and learn how to foster unity, love, peace and life. Life is Precious and Priceless. And to me, War is sad; I know it is sometimes necessary for safety, freedom and protection from oppressive selfish predators, but only WHEN Necessary! I Love Life and Hate War....Even Though I consider myself a woman warrior writer for Justice, to expose the lies and ways or predators, so that victims are wise, set free and find a way to overcome....as well as become wise in how to spot predators....To me, Love, Prayer, Faith and knowledge, are the best weapons against any predator wish to pray upon and enslave innocent people. Words can be just as powerful and more effective than physical weaponry, most of the time. Outwitting predators can be a valuable asset, that saves and protects more lives than physical weapons.

It truly is nice to meet someone, a fellow brother, who is so educate and wise. Thank you for sharing with me so honestly. it is very nice to meet people who are honest and true. I may not be perfect, having much growing up and learning to do, but I am always blunt honest and sincerely true. I believe in having honorable integrity and not letting my unjust experiences in life, contaminate my heart and soul. To me, that is the best defense&weapon against any predatory enemy of humanity!

May you, your wife and family have an amazing day!

Love, Respect & Prayers Always, Abagail

Bandit99 and HK_User like this.
  1. DKR
  2. William Warren
  3. bumpshadow
  4. hitchcock4
  5. DKR
  6. Bandit99
  7. BTPost
  8. DKR
  9. BenP
  10. Hanzo