Has any one considered a second language as a survival strategy

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by arleigh, Apr 8, 2016.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

For some of us getting English right is a challenge.
    I admire those that have learned other languages ,Lord knows I've tried .
    Got talked into trying to learn exact English when we should have been working on ASL .
    I am one of those that need to have some one I regularly work with to pick up other language forms . I've tried computer programs for learning, but I guess I'm too thick .
    Truth is , unless you've got some one to practice with you will loose it.
    Mom wouldn't teach us her home language I'm not sure why, except that it did isolate us from her family socially . She eventually lost her home language never spoke it again .

2. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I have done some reading on constructed languages for convert communication. There is quite a bit of information on the internet about it. It is a language unique to your group, code talk, that follows a set of rules for English to code conversion and back. You create and memorize the conversion rules and practice. You just need conversion for the 100 or so most common words and words unique to your situation.

3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

My son and I toyed with learning Klingon , but the book disappeared and we gave up on it.

4. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

mysterymet, Asia-Off-Grid and arleigh like this.
  5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

My accent it terribly colloquial Southern and it shows in my Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, and English. My French is even more atrocious. I can get around crudely in these languages as long as the person I am speaking with is both patient and has a sense of humor. I can also convey peril or the need for assistance. I speak human pretty good so language just makes it faster sometimes to communicate effectively, but then again I don't usually have much worth saying,at least on a complex line of reasoning. Maybe that is why so many foreigners think of us as Crude Americans?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Mountain mama

Mountain mama Monkey++

Unfortunately, i took 3 yrs of french in high school and 2 yrs in college. Unless we got invaded by Canada (yeah, right) my second language will do me no good. I can however cuss you out in spanish and german as well.

7. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Hispanics will be the majority in the future.I recommend learning Spanish.

1. DKR
  2. William Warren
  3. bumpshadow
  4. hitchcock4
  5. DKR
  6. Bandit99
  7. BTPost
  8. DKR
  9. BenP
  10. Hanzo
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid