Has there ever been a Pandemic where people Have Ample Time to Prepare Like Possibly Coronavirus?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Feb 29, 2020.

1. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

I am shocked that here in the San Fernando Valley in LA that people are not preparing in Regards to Food/Water Supplies etc. for the possibility of a Coronavirus Pandemic, based on conversations and observation. There hasn't been any rush on anything (I haven't been to Costco). Just wondering has there ever been a Pandemic in 20th Century History where people have had such an ample time to stock up?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Why shocked? Calinorfiacs are notoriously unconscious.

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah flu season every year.
    Up to 50 million reported cases, 80,000 deaths.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    VisuTrac, T. Riley and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Costco in Portland Oregon is mobbed!

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Portland folks are always three days late and five bucks short...

6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

First death reported here in the US, Washington state, IIRC. Things should pick up now, maybe.

sec_monkey, ED GEiN and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

What makes you think that? Your not seeing people stock up ...OR its not being reported...Just do your thing ED
    As you get older you'll learn not to give a flying rats behind about .....things.
    Get your supply's,Lay low

8. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I have emptied five 35 cubic feet pork freezers into customers cars with the average customer leaving with 250 pounds of pork. I did announce the farm store was closing and NO ONE would be allowed past the gate after Tomorrow. Everyone that got meat stated "I am stocking up heavy just in case this virus thing gets out of control." Me I have some money in my pocket and 5 less big freezers sucking electricity :) IF it turns bad and follows the typical flu schedule, we have 1-2 weeks before this region is infected. Maybe more Maybe less. People are not rushing but at least among my customers many are taking reasonable measures should say....... A quarantine, travel restrictions and effectively martial law be put in place. Hey crazy times we are living in and it would be crazy not to expect crazy stuff to happen. If it turns out to be a dud, I don't see it as a waste as many aspects of the security and prep plans can be tested in practice. It also motivated me to buy a pair of brand new shiny DPMS LR-308 (Standard AR-10s) for $1200 for the pair. MRS T5R is still less than pleased with the new family members :) But after reading the reviews of them and already liking the AR-10 platform seems like a good deal. PORK=NEW WEAPONS :)

9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I think you have closer to 6 months.

Gator 45/70 and ED GEiN like this.
  10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Every year. It's called the flu. Depending on how this thing reacts, our new annual adventure is going to be cold, flu and corona virus season. Fist bumps and hand washing like crazy from October until April …. just like every year.

11. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

The Sheeple of this country were busy watching Trump's Senate Trial, worrying about Russian Interference, morning Kobe, and trying to figure out wtf happened in Iowa. The MSM didn't have it's eye on what was really important ...China, as in life, illness and death in China. Only in the last week or so has it begun to dawn on most people what is about to happen HERE and it's too late for them to really do anything but trust in prayer...that and pre-plan funerals ( clothes, favorite hymns, etc.). Preppers like us have been planning and preparing for this sort of thing for months, if not years. Now we have to prove just how smart we are by not getting sick!

Gator 45/70 and ED GEiN like this.
  12. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Not this bad!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Possibly here in LA as well

Unfortunately you're right. I'm now buying extra things like 6 months of Flonase, etc

Problem is it's hard to lay low in a 70 Unit Apartment building populated by Idiots!

The Main Stream Media is beyond Scary!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Flu typically takes 2-3 weeks to make it from CA to S IL. Quite a bit of Moonbat and Snowflake transients bounce from SoCal to Carbondale, Then there are all of Chicago people that hate SI but insist on moving down here even though they complain constantly about how much they hate it. Those are pretty much our two main vectors and disease carriers to here and they are fairly consistent.

sec_monkey likes this.
  15. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

It might be faster than the flu, what with all of the political campaigning/ voting this month, and Spring Break coming up soon.

sec_monkey likes this.
  16. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

The flu this year has killed more than Corona by far. But if you get the Corona virus just find a girl with Lyme disease and you be okay. LOL

17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

About the time your first case show up cold and flu season is over.
    It don't stand chance here, this weekend has been summer like.

Thunder5Ranch and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

I'm leaning toward COVID becoming just another "flavor" of the yearly flu cycle. Those who are very susceptible will depart this vale of tears, and the yearly variant will be added to ones flu shot. In the meantime I have 250 pound of meat to cut and vacuum pack for the freezer. That, the root cellar, plus standard stock = I really don't care if the city burns downs. I can always work from home, and the coffee is much better.

19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

What makes you think your stuck in LA in a 70 unit bld???
    Rock and Roll your ass out of there too your sisters OR a storage unit w-a-y outside of LA

What the Commies are not telling is this is a military grade weapon that accidentally??? escaped the laboratory in Wuhan.

Why do you think the Commie command in China brought in Mrs.Lt.General Iron azz to run the place?

Head's are rolling

3cyl and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

At least there will be plenty to eat.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7