Have A Plan To Defend Your Home

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yard Dart, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Bearing ArmsFulton County Burglar Gets Cut Down In Hail Of Bullets During Home Invasion - Bearing Arms

It seems like there are more and more of these stories of home invasions nationally. Let's assume that you had a similar event with multiple attackers trying to come through your door. Have you taken steps to create obstacles with your furniture placement, to slow someone down? Have you discussed door answering procedures as a family so everyone knows how to respond to a strange knock at the door, or someone trying to trick you into opening the door and so on?

And let's assume you have a weapon closely available for home defense. Do you have enough rounds in that weapon to take on multiple targets.... or maybe spare loaded mag's.

Food for thought....... ;)

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You do NOT want to be on the other side of my Front Door, if you have Bad Intentions. The Winchester 1300 Stainless 12 Ga Shotty lives on a set of Pegs in the Door Fame, just above the Front Door. A #9 Low Base Birdshot is in the chamber, with alternating 00 Buck and Slugs thru the Extended Tube Magazine. Backup is Momma's Dan Wesson Stainless .357 with the 6" Barrel, and 6 rounds of 125 Grain JHP. in the Cyl, that lives on top of the Fridge, in the Kitchen. MY Browning HiPower, with a Magazine full of 125 JHP 9mm rounds, and lives in it's Shoulder Holster, hanging on a Hook in my Office, just off the Living Room. Three is Two, Two is One, and One is None..... Words to Live By......

and this doesn't include ANY of the Rifles, that live on Pegs, above the Front Windows, in the Living Room..... 30M1 Carbine, DPMS AR10, and Browning .22LR SemiAuto TakeDown Rifle.... Or any of the multiple Weapons in the Weapons Locker, in the Master BedRoom.

3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

My home has too much glass. Floor to ceiling picture windows across the entire formal dining area, full door glass at the deck access, half door beveled glass on the main access door, and 4'X6' sliding windows all around the house. If it is a simple break-in, there will be no issues with defending the property. If it is an all out assault, the space in not defensible. There are just too many points of access. Having a suitable means to secure those points of access is cost prohibitive. In that event, there will be blood...

Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

There are a couple of areas that could use some bolstering, but they all are covered with redundant cameras on a battery-backed system. I really dislike surprises.

Tully Mars, Dunerunner and Yard Dart like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I see dead people.

I take pride in letting the locals about this.

Funny how superstitions work in your favor...

Gafarmboy, Yard Dart and RightHand like this.
  6. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I think, as people who value advance planning, we all have our thoughts on how we are prepared to defend hearth and home. However, as I frequently tell women who feel they can't be the victim of a sexual assault because they have a firearm, unless you are not only physically but emotionally ready to use the weapon it's a useless piece of steel. I don't mean that to discourage anyone from being armed just to remind them that the mere presence of a firearm will only make the intruder think for another second if he/she wants to proceed. The ability and determination to use the means at your disposal to protect yourself/family/possessions can mean the difference between life and death.

For myself, I know that if I were to arrive home and see someone carting off my possessions, I would be unlikely to shoot to kill. However, if I felt personally threatened, or felt another human being was threatened, that's a different set of rules. We all have to make the decisions that we can live with - "live" being the criteria, but once decided, be prepared to follow through until the threat no longer exists, for whatever reason

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I was jumped by two guys, both bigger than me, and I nearly killed one by stranglation. While his buddy beat me from behind, my target was changing colors, and was no longer moving well. In a panic, my rear attacker waved down a carload of friends, and four more guys proceeded to kick in my ribs, and beat me very nearly senseless.
    This was before martial arts, and weapons training. I WILL go through an attack, doing as much damage as possible in passing, before I will EVER get beaten like that again. I WILL shoot to kill, if someone is aiming weapons at me or mine, of this I have no doubt. What comes after is another story, but I will be judged by 12, before I will be carried by 6.:(

8. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Weeeeeell.

I just hate the clean up process. They charge an arm and a leg.

Mountainman, Yard Dart and RightHand like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Our home is much like @Dunerunner's house. Lots of windows and not many shades. There are some things near the main entrance points that could deter someone. One thing I did realize after reading this is that our phones are located in full sight of the front and back door, you cannot get to the phones without being seen..

10. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Use the cell phones;)

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Nope not an option. We are in a dead zone. Verizon will occasionally work but no others do. That is another reason I don't have a cell. It wouldn't work.

Seawolf1090 likes this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Buy a Cordless Setup, with multiple Hansets.... Put the Base Unit in the Middle of the dwelling, and have one unit in the Master Bedroom, and one in the kitchen/Family Room.....

Yard Dart, ghrit, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Good idea @BTPost because currently we don't have a phone upstairs, though I think there is a phone jack upstairs..

14. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Motomom34 likes this.
  15. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I am not as prepared as BTPost for sure. I do have two loaded handguns at the ready but not by the front door however I could be armed before they got through kicking in the door and it would take them some time to kick it in as we reinforced the door latches with longer screws and better steel plates. It is much stronger then just a stock door. I have timed myself and it takes under 3 seconds for me to reach my guns from the front door. My dogs are very good watch dogs and they make quite a racket at any sounds. I have a couple of windows that let me see both doors so I will know who is there. As for being able to use them in a fight? That is what 16 years of Militia training was for. I dont have my shotgun at the ready at this time. It is locked up with my other long guns as I fear more home invasions when we are gone so I dont leave guns laying around for people to steal. The handguns are with us when we both leave so they are not available to steal either. My gun cache is well hidden and would take tearing down the entire house to find it. Even then most would miss it. I can get into it in less then 3 minutes and bring some awesome weapons to bear along with my tactical vest, battle knives, Boots and other survival gear.

Yard Dart likes this.
  16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I have often questioned why anyone would put the main defensive weapons right at or alongside the main ways that one would expect a forced (or otherwise) entry. Well, I don't, they are in locations that I would get to in short order, and before I peeked out the door/window/slider or where the soft points are. (I need to harden one of them up a bit ---)

17. RightHand

I have always slept with a loaded double barrel next to my bed. My daughter swears that I've never remarried because I scared men off - she felt that between the shotgun and the fact that I insisted every creature in the house be neutered, I might be sending out the wrong messages. :LOL:

18. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

If forced entry is from the front doors then there are two, or more precisely 2 sets of double doors with a foyer in between. While any door can be breached, ANYONE who tries will have earned their way pass the first set(outer). These doors were custom built by a guy who has a pretty good grasp of metal working and ballistics. I guarantee he built them with more care and used everything he learned about the subject while working as a .gov sub contractor at several "secure" locations;) Same goes for the gates that allow access to the property. The inner doors won't pose near the problem as the first, but will do what they are supposed to-give us additional time if needed. Other exterior doors are built the same as the front outer doors. All I will say about the windows on the 1st level of the house is that they were provided by the same manufacturer that supplies windows to the pentagon. We have a family member who works for that supplier..:whistle:
    While here at home, we are never further than say 15-20 feet from a firearm of some sort, and other than the 870's beside each side of our bed none of them are in plain sight. God help anyone that catches/forces either of us in the basement..

Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

While I have always believed that the sound of a pump action shotgun being cycled in the dark would be intimidating to a baddie, there isn't a whole lot of things likely to get a baddie's attention quicker than looking at the wrong end of a double barrel either! As far as the rest of your post goes-ain't going there:lol:

Seawolf1090 and RightHand like this.
  20. RightHand

LOL Part of my image - Double Barrel, Dobermans, 6.6 litre TransAm. Some say I have power issues

1. Ganado
  2. oldman11
  3. HK_User
  4. Motomom34
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. BelBol
  8. Bishop
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Motomom34
  12. Yard Dart