Hawaii emergency officials say ballistic missile threat alert was a mistake

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by sec_monkey, Jan 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

IMO ,
    I think it was a good thing .
    regular tests and practice of drills was a part of life in the 60s with the fear of Russian missals .
    With out regular tests people are complacent lazy . Like they are today/

sec_monkey, Altoidfishfins and oldawg like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Complacent, for sure. The status quo will last forever, no need to do anything. That said, the world is still turning and the climate changes. HI just got a wakeup call, and I hope they (and we) learn from it.

On the other hand, hollarin' "WOLF" too often also breeds complacency.

3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Just too convenient for the fake news to spread about button size last week & then pull this off .
    Keep you on the drama ride , when in real fact , kim-jong wouldn't be that crazy when the door is open for the joining of Olympics and then trade again when China Petro yuan & the silk road is about to happen in 2018 .
    Im sure we will see oil tankers filled in Venezuela and ship to china & paid in GOLD via the petro-Yaun .
    IMF / Bankers are out of the loop .

When the FED starts to buy back all the China held bonds is when the crash will start Me thinks .
    Sloth

Ganado likes this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

This was covered by the local news - with interviews of Alaska residents on vacation in HI. Most instructive,.

One fellow reported that the hotel PA system announced that "an atomic missile was inbound and there is nothing we can do for you."

Another person said people were in a panic owing to the complete lack of any kind of information put out by the State or City.

So -
    Folks are left hanging due to a lack of any kind of planning or education on the part of the local and State Gov't. So far, normal.

Hotels admitted they had zero in the way of disaster supplies/plans or shelter. You should note this as you travel.

What to do? Well, so far anyway, tornadoes etc are a bigger threat that falling atomic bombs. So far.

Nobody will take care of you like you can take care of you. Now, I used to travel to SolCal as part of my duties while active duty. I carried an ALICE ruck with 3 days of Chow, a sleeping bag, water treatment etc and maps showing the nearest military installations.

This is likely overkill for most on vacation but -

I still carry a water filter and tabs, SAK equivalent , a metal water bottle w/GSI cup and a carrier to hold them. A flashlight, small AM/FM/WX radio (or one of my wideband H/Ts) along with a couple of mylar sheets take very little space but offer a start for a disaster bag. This in addition to the ECD that goes everywhere. All of which is not going to help much in an atomic attack - but helps quite a bit for everything else I suppose. (I'll post a couple of images in the media section and link them here so you can see just how small this can be.)
    [​IMG]
    This goes in checked baggage - water carrier often goes in my carry on
    The poncho, dry bag (sleeping gear) ; camo bag (chow) and the rest takes little space

[​IMG]
    fire and water stuff.

[​IMG]
    first aid and commo (IC-R2, RX DC to daylight)

[​IMG]
    What the TSA weenies see. It's all TSA compliant and I've not had an issue to date. Plastic water bottle has been replace by Kleen Kanteen 1 liter bottle.

Sadly, the big winner in all of this is most likely the PDRK leadership - Ol Kim must be laughing his ass off over this SNAFU.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  5. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

To quote one account I read; "people were running around in the streets screaming and crying and wondering what to do". Hawaii has been talking about this for months. Maybe people will wakeup and understand how utterly unprepared Americans are for an attack, anywhere, anytime. I feel certain most had not even thought about what they would do when the sirens went off. 99% are setting ducks. How different the response would have been in Israel where they live with the threat daily.

chelloveck, sec_monkey and oldawg like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Who actually thinks rocket man could hit the islands or even in between 2 islands with a functional weapon?

7. DKR

Not me.

On the other hand...
    [​IMG]
    Caption:
    The Mk-21 reentry vehicle (RV) used with the W87 warhead was previously known as the ABRV, Advanced Ballistic Reentry Vehicle, designed by AVCO Systems Division. This RV affords the warhead greater accuracy. The AVCO reentry vehicles are of a heavier weight in design, but the Air Force was really drawn by their greater accuracy, possessing a CEP of 400 feet. Part of the strategy incorporating greater accuracy was the ability to strike nuclear hardened targets with superior accuracy, with the goal of a higher probability of eliminating the target.

and tested
    [​IMG]

8. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

400 feet. :LOL: :LOL:

our other stuff can do 60 ft. or less

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If you have a big enough rock, you need be only as accurate as the radius to squishify the target center.

Seawolf1090 and sec_monkey like this.
  10. sec_monkey

their systems are not as accurate as ours however they are accurate enough

we should not underestimate them

3M-TA3 likes this.
  11. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

We have a greater "Squishification Coefficient" than the Norks. And we have a metric-buttload more warheads, ensuring we have much greater "Whompability". o_O

sec_monkey likes this.
  12. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

400 ft...60 ft...we ARE talking "Nuclear Weapon" here. And the fact that we can squishify an order of magnitude more of them several times over is little comfort to those affected and killed or their families, friends and loved ones.

While it's nothing like the US/USSR cold war, I will admit that it's something that I consider and am at least aware of, much more than I used to be. While it probably isn't very likely to happen, I fear that it's more likely coming from the bowl cut in North Korea than it really ever was coming from Khrushchev in the Soviet Union.

Khrushchev knew the score and was ultimately sane enough to do his part and keep us from annihilating each other. My fear is that Un had bought into his own press. He's a wild card and not under anyone's control (or so it seems).

What so many see as an asset with Trump (outsider, not beholden to anyone, rogue, brash) is a liability on the other side.

sec_monkey likes this.
  13. sec_monkey

we are talking *all* WMDs here, accuracy is an important factor when it comes to NBC weapons, particularly BC weapons, much less of a factor in N weapons but still a factor

ours are more than accurate enough to conduct a 1st strike

14. Cruisin Sloth

I know , ya don't have time to watch , So you don't think for yourself's !
    Follow the BS

There playing the HI also . \dang
    S

15. Cruisin Sloth

Another one !!
    PURE SLIME

16. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I got a phone call from a senior RN at our hospital on vacation to her home state of HI. WHAT THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO DO????

Who needs that question out of the blue??

I told her go to a tsunami and typhoon safe structure and hide inside like they taught you in elementary school.

Grab all the easy water you can secure on the way to where you hide at the place you got to. No time for stores.

After you here a big boom or see a bright light flash through the windows wait 10 minutes for any blast to pass by.

Go see what happened and where if everything isn’t on fire.

If not your island, go home and figure out which way the wind blows and if it normally blows towards you.

If so, hunker down in the house with water and food in the bathroom until authorities come to get you or two weeks unless it rains a lot. Yeah, Ya gotta poop in front of your boyfriend or die.

If not, get to the docks. Lots of hurt folks are going to start showing up soon. Remember our decon training for radiation.

Really abbreviated instructions but that’s what I pulled up quick out of the head.

chelloveck likes this.
  17. Zimmy

How many NORK spies panicked and called HQ when the alert went out, ya think??

Seawolf1090 likes this.
  18. DKR

@Zimmy Bet that was an eye opener - and that she called you says volumes as well.

HINT
    Bet this little tale would be easy to make into a super-duper short story.....$$$$$ to be had my friend.

sec_monkey and Zimmy like this.
  19. Zimmy

I can see it in my head. Her like a platinum haired Sharon Stone dragging her flat bellied boy toy around in a semi focused panic and me like Wilford Brimley in my underwear surfing the web.....

20. DKR

OK

Hint to HI Department of Emergency Services staff.

BEFORE giving a TV interview - pull all the Post-it note with passwords from computer monitors. You know, because Security matters. At least to some of us..

[​IMG]

sec_monkey, 3M-TA3, oldawg and 2 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7