Heads up

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Trade' started by oldman11, Feb 15, 2019.

1. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

wal-mart has mountain house pouchs on clearance,most are marked down $3.00 or better. Time to stock up. They also have the two day three meal a day box for thirty dollars. You cannot order it for that price. The way the world is today you never know what you will need tomorrow,better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it.

Meat, snake6264, sec_monkey and 6 others like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Thanks om11,I may just have to swing by for a look see

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Good for a couple years, don't try to keep them long term though. :)
    Get the cans for that.
    And, always buy them pouches on sale! They are great for backpacking!

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Good deal, good to know, thanks fot the heads up, will swing by and see what they have!

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I think you are talking about the older version Mountain House. The new ones now are rated as long as the cans, 30 years. For example, I got boxes of 'Biscuits and Gravy' (I actually liked them with eggs and eat them when the wife abandons me to my own devices, I'm damn if I cook and mean that literally), with a "Best By Date: Sep 2047." There is lots of write-ups about it now. I think you lose some in taste but other than that - good as a #10 can. Besides, if they are rated for 30 years then Bandit's rating is 20 years, even for cans, error on the safe side says me.

I got another box in front of me of 'Sweet and Sour Pork with Rice' pouches, 'Best By Date: Sep 2047'. I purchased 99% of my freeze-dried over a year ago, maybe two (?), I think I was going through the 'Horror of Hillary' about that time...

I purchase pouches for portability and with just the two of us it's better plus if I give some away it's much easier (yeah, I'm cheap!). I keep'em in food grade buckets (~14 packets per bucket), but I also have some #10 cans; however, all future freeze-dried will be pouches - if I had a big family/tribe it might be different. I like Mountain House taste better than others and they're more portable if I need to run but, yes, cost a bit more. I only purchase Mountain House.

Strange...because just last night I told the wife that these new whackos in Congress, namely this Rep. llhan Omar (crazy and hater of America) made it easy to decide to purchase another 5 buckets (~70 pouches), another basic AR and a couple more BT-UA5R radios. Call me paranoid, call me wimp, but you will not call me 'unprepared.' This woman makes Nancy look sane and even the Democrats should be afraid.

I'll check Walmart before ordering. Make sure you check the dates!
    @oldman11 Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    oldman11, sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Handled the freeze dried storage issue some years back......

[​IMG]

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

That's all well and good. They still aren't #10 cans. If they made the pouches better somehow, I'd still not invest huge money into pouches until I've tested for 10 of the said 30 years. Of course, by then they will have another product out or humanity won't exist at all. I had about 50 or so of their pouches go bad on me after only about 5 years, and that really sucked.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I looked on the site for my local store and there were no deals. Good info on what tastes good though.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Hey Big Ron, try the Mountain House 'Chicken and Dumplings with Vegetables' and/or 'Chicken Teriyaki with Rice & Vegetables', those get 5-star ratings from me.

@Brokor "... If they made the pouches better somehow, I'd still not invest huge money into pouches until I've tested for 10 of the said 30 years... I had about 50 or so of their pouches go bad on me after only about 5 years, and that really sucked."
    Yes, that would suck. I also wish they made the pouches heavier but it's a marketing decision of course... This is why I seal them in the buckets and leave them. The place I have them is dark with a temperature range of 45F-65F degrees. It's the best I can do so hoping for the best but will check them at the 5 and 10 year point.

"Of course, by then they will have another product out or humanity won't exist at all."
    I think Humanity might but really not sure about America, I truly doubt it.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7