Hello everyone. I'm taking the plunge

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Drbanner, Jan 25, 2016.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Anchor your container to the strongest points of your footing.

Drbanner, kellory and AD1 like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Welcome!!!!

Drbanner likes this.
  3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

come on in the waters fine...

Drbanner likes this.
  4. Drbanner

Drbanner Monkey

Hoping the snow stops early this year so I can get started.
    Thankfully there is already 3 driveways to start from.
    Then I will get in and take a bunch of pictures and plan the septic and well placement.

5. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

I have done both. Electrical is solar, all 12vdc. Septic tank was a bit different than we would do in the US. (I live in Cambodia.). But, if you are off-grid way in the sticks, is code still required in the states, or enforced, would probably be a better question?

Here are some random images of the initial installs of my solar, rainwater harvesting, and septic systems. This would have been late 2013, at our small farm in Battambang Province.

The electricity is generated by two separate solar arrays, now. One is for the main part of the home, appliances, internal lighting, etc. The second is solely for external night / security lighting. The image below was the first, a 400 watts array. Read more about my systems at Our Solar & Rainwater Harvesting At Our Farm.
    IMG_0218.

Water jars are a very popular means for the poorer of the population (READ: The vast majority of the country) to collect rain water in areas where wells are not feasible. These jars are made from concrete here, not very thick walled. Amazing how much water the large jars can contain, though, without breaking. The trick is, you must fill them slowly, allowing the water to permeate the concrete walls of the jars. Anyway, they are what we used for storage when first building this system. I piped several of these jars together, giving us an initial total capacity of over 5,000 US gallons. Now, I have started using poly tanks of much larger capacities. (This was just something I thought I would share with the Original Poster, as well as other members here.)
    IMG_0090.

Here is a video a friend of mine for me, at my request, using over 5,000 still (time delayed) photos. It is two young Khmer men constructing 400 liters jars.

A 12vdc ShurFlo pump I had shipped from the US to power the water system for the toilet, shower, and outside spigots. Works like a champ. I don't care where I live - there are just some western amenities I am NOT willing to give up. My throne is one of those things. :D
    shurflo_revolution_pump_and_strainer.

Have you considered rainwater harvesting? If living off grid, you may wish to put a water meter on a rainwater collection system. This can not only help you keep track of your water usage, so you can adjust that during dry spells. But, it can also notify you of a leak in your system. Living off grid here, and with no water for miles around, makes that a very, very important feature to install.
    IMG_0306.

Now, the septic system. Codes and permits are non-existent in this country, especially in rural farming areas. These tubes are 1 meter across. We had four of these concreted together, to have a total capacity of 1180 liters (~ 311US gallons). This was a cheap and easy septic system. But, again, no codes to deal with here.
    IMG_0305.

IMG_0313.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    Drbanner and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  6. Drbanner

Drbanner Monkey

Agreed thanks for posting all that I appreciate it.
    Here in Canada I have to deal with a million codes n laws.

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  7. Asia-Off-Grid

Thanks. I thought others would appreciate it. And, I had never seen another on YouTube, which was part of the reason for asking Brian to make and upload it for me. He's a Kiwi and a great guy. He wouldn't take anything for doing it. And, it took him several hours to shoot, and a half day to process.

The water meter is piped from my rainwater catchment system. There are no other utilities out there. However, after a recent trip out to the farm, I see they now have utility poles up. So, mains power is coming soon.

kellory and HK_User like this.
  8. Drbanner

Drbanner Monkey

I still rock a 50 yr old vw on nice summer days.
    I'm in Toronto but I will be building 2 1/2 hrs north.
    Was up there today measuring and draw high n low spots on the survey.
    Solid three feet of snow made it twice as much work. But that shows my motivation I suppose.

9. Asia-Off-Grid

Did I misunderstand your previous question? Were you wanting to know who manufactured the water meter? It is probably a Vietnamese made meter. Worst case, Cambodian made. Trust me. You would not want to purchase most things used here, as the are substandard as far as being compared to the rest of the world. Anything, and I mean ANYTHING that is critical and needs to be of quality, I have shipped from the US.

The cinder blocks for our home, for example, will be purchased from a western owned company that manufactures them, located 7 hours away. Khmer made cinder blocks are made too weak.

Drbanner and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  10. Drbanner

Drbanner Monkey

I wish I could go right east but my kids would curse me.
    Wish it were an option I have 160 first cousins living on the rock.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  11. Drbanner

Drbanner Monkey

Anyone ever seen anything like this? I put the water bottle down for scale but this thing is huge image. image.
    Here's a pic of the pond that is 50meters to the right of my build site. It shows the heat difference.

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Might be a "Glacier Egg"..,,

Drbanner likes this.
  13. Drbanner

Drbanner Monkey

What is that?
    I've been told could be Quartz, could salt stone or could be a regular white rock.
    Thing has to be atleast 6' long 2' wide and we don't know how deep yet the ground was to frozen to dig.

Hoping that this means we might be sitting on a bunch of other minerals too

14. Drbanner

Drbanner Monkey

Thanks I appreciate such well thought out responses. Lol

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Glacier Egg... is a Rock that was deposited as the Glaciers receded, and was ground, round, (No ruff edges) by the glacial action of moving Ice against earth. Lots of them here in Alaska, as the Ice melted...

Drbanner likes this.
  16. Drbanner

Drbanner Monkey

Here's the vid I was telling about sloth it's expensive but I wonder if the technology couldn't be expanded on and used more efficiently.
    Www.Tegmart.com

17. Drbanner

Drbanner Monkey

Thanks I've never heard of those before. I was told we will need to dig and find out if it's a stand alone or is the pimple so to speak of a Quartz vein.
    I'm anxious to find out. We found a few small creeks on the property and what looks like used to be a river bed so perhaps I may spend some time in the future panning

18. Drbanner

Drbanner Monkey

Wow
    Ghost town city lol
    Was it something I said or posted lmfao

1. AgentPickle
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Dome

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Views

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. CaptainCalamity
  5. DurdenJames
  6. saki monkey
  7. old_code
  8. OlSarge
  9. TheRightToBearArms
  10. AR15gunbuilder
    New one from west Florida
    Thread by: AR15gunbuilder, Sep 28, 2020, 19 replies, in forum: New Member Introductions
  11. martha_mill
  12. Bunker Bob
  13. DKR
  14. Modus Operandi
  15. Northern california
  16. Murfylang
  17. Waydah
  18. Kruel J
  19. johnwintergardener
  20. JazzeeJ
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7