HercuGlass went out of business -- what is the alternative?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by SlowBro, Jan 29, 2014.

1. SlowBro

SlowBro Monkey+

I was saddened to see that HercuGlass went out of business. Do you know of any other companies that sell hardened canning jars?

2. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

HercuGlass??? .... where are you living? .... all jars sold as "canning jars" have to be heat treated and hardened .... at least they are required in the US .... BIG difference between a retail pickle/mayo jar and a canning jar .... Ball is the largest canning jar and lid/ring manufacturer in the world .... they're sold everywhere in the world .....

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I would say....Jacksonville Florida. And I'm sure they have Ball canning jars there.;)

4. SlowBro

SlowBro Monkey+

Hmm I'm guessing y'all haven't seen this. Anyone offering glass this durable?

kellory likes this.
  5. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

interesting concept, shatter resistent glass that with stands thermal shock.
    I did some googling and couldn't find anything simliar.

This was the first I had heard about HercuGlass, guess they closed due to not enough sales? You could try getting the contact info from the domain and see if they have any stock hidden away that you could purchase.

Here is the info from "whois"

6. SlowBro

SlowBro Monkey+

Thanks. I can see why my original post was misleading.

7. Zerchron

Zerchron Monkey

Sounds like it is now Corning Gorilla Glass.

Brokor likes this.
  8. SlowBro

SlowBro Monkey+

Similar. The tech was more expensive, and was never applied to canning jars.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7