Highlanders

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

We had our first Scottish Highlander calf late Saturday night.
    Mamma and the calf are doing well and bonding nicely.
    Looks like a new bull/steer that will fill the freezer in time.... that is the plan.
    3. 20220109_074909_resized.

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Always nice to see a new birth.

3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Watch out for Mom now that there is a little one to protect. Nice to see the herd growing!! [winkthumb]

4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Just make sure the grand-kids & wife don't bond with the calf otherwise you will be in for a lot of crying when you butcher it.

5. What kind of temperament does that breed present? Almost all of the animals we had were even tempered, even the boars and the bulls. We never raised this breed though.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  6. cpaspr

cpaspr Monkey+++

Name it "Hamburger" from the start and they may not get as attached. :ROFLMAO:

7. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Reminds me of my best friend he raised 2 pigs called them Burt and Ernie. At the time he was working as a district manager for some food chain and he got all the out date food fed it to the pigs. At the time his 2 kids were little and at the diner table the kids asked what happened to Burt and Ernie. My friend told them you are eating them.
    Years ago going to work I saw a freshly killed deer in the median had been hit in the hind quarter so in the back of my truck it went. Butchered it and in the freezer. To this day my oldest (40) can't believe I feed him road kill. Killed by a bullet or a car dead is dead

GOG, Gator 45/70, jim2 and 5 others like this.
  8. Yard Dart

Ours have a really good temperament. Not halter broke, but easy to handle....on most days ;)

GOG, Gator 45/70, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  9. HK_User

Never trust a bull or a momma.'
    Carry a cow stick at all times.

Gator 45/70, jim2, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I was thinking Brisket or Porterhouse

GOG, Gator 45/70, jim2 and 4 others like this.
  11. Yard Dart

All very true!!!
    We practice this daily.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  12. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Reminds me of the TV commercial where the young bull rider states "I know you're never gonna get on a bull".
    Truer words never spoken. He's right. I'm NEVER gonna try to ride a bull.

SB21, GOG, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  13. HK_User

Rode many a young bull when I was preteen, I worked at a practice roping pen/arena. We untied the calves, threw the pigging string to the roper and then rode the calves to the get off bar at the far end of the corral.

Tully Mars, SB21, GOG and 3 others like this.
  14. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Whatever made you to select that breed? Just out of curiosity, you always seem to have a practical reasoning behind your ideas.

3M-TA3, Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Yard Dart

The Scottish Highlander is a rustic cow that is not widely raised across the country (they also have cool horns). ;)

Highland cows are raised primarily for their meat, which is lower in cholesterol than other forms of beef. Their beef is in pretty high demand in most parts of the country. These cattle are a hardy breed, designed to withstand the conditions in the PNW (rain and muck).

The value for a registered weanling calf runs around $3K here to $7K on the East coast. We created a business out of this activity, which should allow us to offset some investment in property improvements via our taxes.

One thought is they will be a good second income when we move into retirement at some point... and allow us to utilize our land for revenue vs non-productive land. Second, we are creating our self sufficiency for us, family and friends. Until our freezers are full routinely, I probably won't be selling any beef to anybody outside of our circle. Currently, we have a steer going to butcher in mid-March.

They are also much like giant goats, which helps us maintain the land.
    What brush and such they don't eat, they trample, which opens up overgrown wooded areas.
    We have blackberries and such which are invasive... the highlanders keep them in check.
    Finally, they are a bit more easy to handle then a lot of breeds.

16. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

When you factor in the cost of the animal plus feed and medication processing etc. what is the actual cost per pound of processed meat. My uncle has raised small amounts of cattle 3-4 at a time and told me its cheaper to buy meat on sale in bulk but I don't know if that is true any more. My uncle is 87 he hasn't raised any in years.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    Gator 45/70, Yard Dart and SB21 like this.
  17. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I figured, from my past observations of your projects, there would be practical applications involved. They're cool looking little cows too.

Gator 45/70, Yard Dart and SB21 like this.
  18. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I had a boy that used to work for me ,,, swore up and down he was a bull rider ,,, but he couldn't get on the 1st step of a ladder without freezing up . I called BS on that story . Me ,, I can climb the hell out of a ladder ,,, but I ain't trying to ride no bull ,,, anytime.

19. Yard Dart

Cost per pound on the cow has not been calculated to date...... We started 1.5 years ago... and just trying to grow our herd, as I expanded fencing. Ultimately, we are growing beef that is not juiced with steroids, GMO feed or any other crazy stuff.... we will have a good product to eat. If things go SHTF style, we will have food reserves and a sustainable food source... at least while we can protect them and get them to the table.

On a separate note, our chickens are much the same... a food source that is continually producing. Our young 8 hens are currently kicking out 6 eggs daily... that is a lot of protein for our diet if we had to rely on it for survival.

Finally, our garden produces enough for us and will carry us a long ways.... still need to build the greenhouse.

When it comes to food, we need to think big picture... if things go SHTF or food prices are so high due to inflation, you have to plan and work to minimize those disruptions!!
    YMMV

Tully Mars, GOG, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  20. Yard Dart

20220113_082625.

Tully Mars, GOG, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. fl4848
  4. Motomom34
  5. Motomom34
  6. Yard Dart
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Coyote Ridge
  10. Motomom34
  11. Meat
  12. Meat