Home defense and fire....

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by dragonfly, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Resqdan

Resqdan Archangle

this was probably carbontetrachloride... not very friendly to us humans and not leagal any more.. with it being cancer causing and what not.. as for the powders and stuff you have to apply that just before you were to get hit.. it breaks down after a few hours.. as for the stuff that saved the cabin i am sure it went something like this.. fire was on the way and a crew of Firefighters on a truck showed up and coated the house with the gel like snot.. as the fire came the moisture in the gel insulated and protected the house from flames preventing anything from catching on fire and not letting the heat build up inside.. its a nice idea but not cheap and once again you would have to know you were going to get hit a couple hours before it happened so you could apply it... not practical for the average prepper..

dragonfly likes this.
  2. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

I dont really have an answer... but being a somewhat crazy old guy I do have a story...

The wife I and I were living in New Mexico when the Cerro Grande wild fire hit Los Alamos... we saw lots of homes go up in smoke... homes with metal roofs and siding...so called fireproof homes... problem is... the cinders were getting sucked up the soffits and into the rafters... once that happened the whole house would go...

out west wild fires are a daily threat and they do make lots of flameproof products like cement based wall panels... metal siding and roofing... but they only do so much

dragonfly likes this.
  3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Y'all got me hankering for a dixie gun works 2/3 scale 12 pound cannon barrel (actual bore 2.25 inches) and plans for building my own carriage. Might be something fun to have around as a suitable projectile thrower.

dragonfly likes this.
  4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I built a cannon some years ago...I bought the steel for the barrel, (thick walled pipe) then took it to the shop had a rear plug made, on the cnc lathe. To make it more realistic, I found an old 2 inch trailer hitch ball, cut the threaded section off and welded it to the rear. It resembled an old ships cannon, that has a place for the rope...I've left it out in the weather all this time as the pipe was coated with some sort of either epoxy or varnish, which kept it black and I wanted it rusted! It has been a number of years now and the wood carriage ( minus wheels) has begun to dry out, split and crack. I made the barrel too long, but it sure looks impressive! The barrel ( less the rear attachment/s) is some 4 1/2 feet long, 3 1/2 inches O.D. and the I.D. is 2 3/4 inches in daimeter.
    Now it could fire, but the pipe I used was "deliberately" chosen, as it has a "seam". That way it cannot fire any projectile without possibly blowing out.
    That made the ATF happy. It has been fired 2 times...uisng 1/8 inch geen fireworks/cannon fuse, and with ONLY 50 grains of Goex powder. No wadding.
    It threw a 4-5 foot orange flame, sounded like a dinosaur burping, and made nice big smoke ring that traveled for over a hundred feet.
    It was made for looks only and I had it in the front yard for years UNTIL someone tried to steal it! ( aircraft cable and heavy duty master locks stopped that) Then I was asked IF I wanted to sell it and I was offered $300.
    I should have sold it, as it was only about $25-$30 to make the thing!
    I'll have to get my son to help me move it, so I can take some photos and post them! Now it holds beer cans really nice and I'm sure it would toss those puppies a good distance, and I figure 100 grains of BP would do that easily!
    Never thought about using it in any other way than decoration...BUT nowdays it may be "useful"!
    The rear plug is 4 inches O.D.and extends into the real of the "barrl" about 1 1/2 inches. The welding I had done at a local shop to ensure it was welded properly and solid. The welder had a "field day" working on it! The sides have 1 1/2 inch solid bars, 4 inches long, welded at the "balance" points on each side. That was the hardest part! Holding that stupid pipe and balancing it and marking the location for those "pins". But it looks scary!
    Now if a person were to buy the correct type and length of pipe, they could fab up one mean mother!
    Load her up with some old chain or nails, and yeehaw!
    It's Party time!
    Talk about a deterrent!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7