Home Remedies to Stop Bleeding

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Motomom34, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

My dog got groomed yesterday and they cut his nail too short. They put some stuff on it and said if it keeps bleeding to put some baking soda on it. While researching I kept seeing information on using corn starch to stop bleeding. People use all sorts of stuff to stop bleeding besides band-aids. I read an article that said to use Vaseline but I think that would prevent healing because the Vaseline would keep air from getting to the wound. I could be wrong but I have always let a cut “breathe” as part of the healing process.

Home Remedies to stop bleeding- suggested but not all tried and verified.

Baking Soda
    Corn starch
    Honey
    Sugar
    Vaseline

What else have you used or heard of to stop a cut from bleeding?

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Spider webs.

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Gun cleaning patch and duct tape.

4. Gaowlpoop

Gaowlpoop Monkey++

There is no substitute for a container of blood stop on the shelf.

5. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Duct tape.

7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Electrical tape always worked out on the job. And always seems to keep the cut from drying out.

oldawg, techsar, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  8. I've used ground black pepper on myself, and on the dogs finger nail when he got distracted trying to dig out a ground hog.

9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

If you put tape directly on a cut, doesn't the tape remove the scab when you remove the tape? Or does tape easily come off with water and leaves the scab?

10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have wound seal/stop bleed in my bag. While I was at my Stop the Bleed class the guy teaching the class said that the stop bleed is dangerous and told us to throw it away. He said it travels into other parts of the body. I have researched but cannot find any information backing his statement up.

techsar, Gator 45/70 and Seepalaces like this.
  11. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

I use cornstarch on the dog works great Human get quick clot or the like if needed or pressure bandage

12. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Newskin glue
    Super glue

Vasoline will heal cuts fast

13. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Haven't tried it externally, but a damp tea bag works to stem bleeding from tooth extractions...probably due to the tannic acid.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I've mixed honey and cayenne pepper into a paste as a bleed stopper and to pack wounds with infection. I've used it for cavities left by infection as well.

All this on pets and livestock. I haven't had a wound applicable since learning this trick. It cases no discomfort to the animals, btw

Motomom34, techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Cayenne pepper is the best I have used. Alum, used it today.

Zimmy and Motomom34 like this.
  16. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Yeah, but most guys are tough. I'm not talking about Millennials here, though. They break a nail and fall to pieces.

Zimmy and Motomom34 like this.
  17. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

This.

Yunnan Baiyao (or Yunnan Paiyao; simplified Chinese: 云南白药; traditional Chinese: 雲南白藥; pinyin: Yúnnán Báiyào; literally: "Yunnan White Drug") is a hemostatic powdered medicine famous for being carried by the Vietcong to stop bleeding during the Vietnam War. The medicine, developed by Qu Huangzhang in 1902, is designated as one of two Class-1 protected traditional medicines, which gives it 20 years protection. In China, its reputation is equal to that of penicillin in the U.S.

hrm, link doesn't work when I post it. Go to Amazon, search for "baiyao" and look for BLEEDERGARD.

Motomom34, Zimmy and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  18. Asia-Off-Grid

@Brokor, the link isn't working.

For me, this is an excellent thing to learn. I am planning a trip to Vietnam, fairly soon.

Zimmy and Brokor like this.
  19. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I was going to link Bleedergard, a natural equine bleed stop you can buy here in the U.S. -I imagine you can buy baiyao powder in Chinese shops and such, but besides that it's going to be commercialized here in the States as something else.

There's also this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HHLTEM/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Never used it, but it might be the same thing.

Motomom34 likes this.
  20. Asia-Off-Grid

Link didn't work for me either.

1. TheJackBull
  2. Gator 45/70
  3. hot diggity
  4. Motomom34
  5. Merkun
  6. Benjamin A. Wood
  7. Benjamin A. Wood
  8. DKR