Homemade MREs, no really....

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by DKR, Mar 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Mikey likes EVERYTHING...

Zimmy likes this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Here is a well thought out video on food choices, weight and calories by a Brit "Bushcrafter"

Most of his food choices require cooking or hot water, however, I found his explanation of his picks to be cogent to this discussion.

Here is another 'week of chow in a bag" video.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  3. DKR

Now for the part you may have been waiting for - the Chow list.

Note 1 Resealable (ziploc type) mylar bag are sold in Amazon in small lot qualities - 10 to 25 bags.
    Note 2 If using SC Johnson Ziploc brand bag - use ONLY the ones labeled "Freezer bags" - these save on clean up if you are in an area with limited water resources.

.Breakfast 1 - no cooking Calories as listed 595
    (Cold wx friendly contents)
    3/4 cup Grape Nuts cereal
    2 - 3 Tblsp Nido whole milk powder
    1/4 cup chopped dates (no need for sugar with the dates)
    Add 1 cup unheated water to bag. Mix by squishing the bag a few time and leave it to sit for 5 min or so. Square away your gear using this time, perhaps.

Breakfast 2 - no cooking Calories as listed 570
    Nonni's Almond Dark Chocolate Biscotti With Almonds 4 pieces (these are individually wrapped)
    Jif to Go peanut butter
    Note - if you use two of the Jif packets, calorie count goes to 820.

Breakfast 3 - no cooking Calories as listed 398
    Kipper Snacks (3.25 ox can) (Herring filets)
    WASA Crispbread (2 pieces) (recommend sourdough)
    1 oz almonds

Breakfast 1 - hot water cooking Calories as listed 505
    (cold wx friendly contents)
    3/4 cup Quaker Quick oats
    2 or 3 Tblsp Nido whole milk powder
    1/4 cup chopped dates (no need for sugar with the dates)
    Add 1 cup heated water to bag. Mix by squishing the bag a few time and leave it to sit for 5 min or so.

Breakfast 2 - hot water cooking Calories as listed 640

1 can Pork and Beans (8 oz Van Camp)
    1 can chicken breast meat (Swanson Premium, 4oz serving)
    2 piece Dr Kracker (Classic 3 seed)
    Nestle Blend and Brew 1 packet
    Mix contents of both cans in a bag, place in 1.5 Cup hot water When heated to taste, use water to make the coffee.
    Actually, this is better than it sounds. The down side is the weight of the cans and trash they make...

More to follow. The lunch/dinner meals will be interchangeable.

Ganado likes this.
  4. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Good idea. If you are going to the point of carrying a stove, you can also buy a new (clean) 1 gallon paint can and make your own rocket stove, which will double as a survival heat source. You can also pack some pocket hand warmers inside the stove to keep it from rattling around. So if you're doing survival in the cold, you've also got some heat until you get your fire up and going.

I am a BIG fan of dehydrated peanut butter. You can get lots of nutrition out of an 8 oz plastic tub of the stuff and can quite often find it in a place like "Big Lots".

If you are like me, you're constantly playing around with small items like this that can be used in long range MRE's or a quick meal while out hunting or fishing. Another thing I haven't heard anybody mention is protein powder, which could be good for you if you're doing heavy manual labor.

oldman11 likes this.
  5. DKR

I've seen some thru hikers that use flavored protein powder instead of dry milk with their morning oatmeal.

A 1/4 cup serving of soy based protien powder is (wait for it) 20 grams of protien for 80 calories.

A Probar Base (protien) has 20 grams of protien, for 290 calories!!
    (Peanut Butter Chocolate Base Bar) -

BOB'S Red Mill offers sugar free protien powder for a low calorie protien boost
    https://www.bobsredmill.com/soy-protein-powder.html
    And at a decent price point as well....

6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

protein powder is pretty bulky.... if you need to boost protein it's a good idea but I would rather have fat... so spam!

oldawg and 3M-TA3 like this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Zimmy likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Oddcaliber
  5. Tackleberry
  6. Imasham
  7. -06
  8. VisuTrac