Homesteads for Nothin' and The Chicks for Free

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Tully Mars, May 17, 2017.

1. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Hard times call for hard men and women and the willingness to take action whether it's a garden or killing an intruder 2 or four legged. Get your mind right around the tasks. Planting to butchering it will be up to you. Canning storing fruits, vegetables, meats it will be in your hands. Don't think oh I will live on MRE's for years you won't. MRE's are combat rations do not ever confuse that with real food. You need water water water. The other thing we all must consider is we do not know what type of calamity we are planning for be flexible and don't over think. Keep it simple be adaptable. I hope this was on topic. My 2 cents

Motomom34, Tully Mars and GOG like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

We have people who ignore numbers, statistics and facts. We call them liberals. And they will be the first ones to die off.

Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Or...to kill us for what we have.

Tully Mars likes this.
  4. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

Where do these guys live? I am looking for some well supplied soft targets...

Lets say its after the SHTF and you have your farm or cabin in the woods or well stocked house or whatever. The place you are living now is most likely going to be IT. So anyhow, you are sitting there sipping pina coladas from your basement stash of tequila and you see 6 guys in military gear with fully automatic weapons and battle gear coming towards your house ready for business. What preps have you made for this situation?

If you don't practice or rehearse for a similar situation then you will be feeding those 6 guys with your carcass for a month. Its not hard to eliminate them but if you aren't practiced for it you have already lost.

3M-TA3, Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  5. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

I think it's true that there is an ever-growing segment of the population that is taking up the prepper philosophy.

I think it's happening because people who pay attention are beginning to understand that they've been lied to about everything from police protection to their Social Security benefits.

There is no security in depending on the promises of politicians.

After a while, one comes to understand that they are in a very leaky lifeboat, and there's bad weather ahead.

So we do what we can.

But no one can really do enough without completely fixing everything that's wrong with modern civilization. all over the world.

Quick. Before it's too late.

Lacking that ability it is too late.

So all a person can do is hunker down in their own personal foxhole (or whatever size and sophistication) and sit on whatever gear and grub they've managed to drag into it.

When the SHTF--as it inevitably will!--99% of us preppers will probably die within the next five years. Along with 99.999% of everyone else. Most of whom will have died in the first year.

There is no substitute for a functioning society, even if it's at the tribal level.

Those of us who survive will do so because we rebuilt or created a society to ensure our survival.

A hermit with enough beans, bullets & bandaids can live out his life in a cave, and leave nothing but bones behind him.

But that is not survival.

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have to politely disagree. Look at @duane's post. Those people that are flooding his state, moving to the country and setting up a mini farm are (as you would say) Liberals. If people truly think that conservatives have cornered the market on gardens, farming and canning, you are very, very wrong. Simple living does not have a political label in all I have seen and met. As for guns-
    Comes from The Liberal Gun Club Forum • Index page

I shake my head. Underestimating the other guy is a key way to lose. The mind set should be they are doing as I am doing so I have to set it up. Do not ever assume you know what is going on in another home.

oldawg, 3M-TA3, Bandit99 and 2 others like this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I said the liberals ignore facts, numbers and statics.
    I didn't say anything about them having an aversion to starting a farm.
    I agree that most if not the vast majority of the new farmsteading off griders popping up are liberals.
    Just because they have a farmstead doesn't mean they are going to last much longer than the city slickers

There was a post by some one on here, thunder ranch maybe? Talking about how all the 20 or 30 farmsteads that popped up around him have failed in under 3 years.

Motomom34, Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  8. enloopious

We keep running the same cycles. People run computer loops in their heads, we call them thoughts, others call them sub-routines. What ever the case, society keeps running the same cycles as well. They start with nothing and go to tribes, society, revolution, tyranny, or what ever and then end up back in anarchy and start the process all over again. What we really need to get out of this cycle is to form a new subset of code that isn't in the current loop.

We need to make a better thought out cycle and try running it. Its actually a quite simple process if you take the time to define the problems and design their solutions. Figure out the problem, why do people do what they do, and how do you stop that. You will find that most people do bad things because they are poor or hurt or unable to do some thing. Think of a problem and then think of a solution.

There are usually never more than 10 different points of view on any given problem. For example theft. Why do people steal? Possible answers could be they are poor, they like the thrill of the chase, they are envious... it really boils down to they want something they can't have or they need excitement in their lives or they are mentally deficient, this would include those who do it just to be mean. All of which have solutions should the problem be properly addressed. Make a society that addresses all problems honestly and not based on emotion or personal views and you just might have something.

Then when the opportunity comes you have this system already designed to replace the old fashioned ones.

9. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I'm not sure it's possible to create a society that addresses everyone's "problems".

Bandit99 and Tully Mars like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I really like your whole post but it is not as simple as you make it seem. I firmly believe that some people are evil period. Why people do what they do? I have no clue, all I can think is that we are a product of our society. They feed off each other, spiraling to anarchy.

Tully Mars likes this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

well said @oil pan 4 unless there is a world event like a planet killer astroid or sun flares, i dont think in terms of teotwaki either

the more likely scenario is the banks close for a few days, anarchy ensues and alot of urban and city dwellers die in the chaos. Society comes back after marshal law is instated.

@Tully Mars great topic! and more to your point, its possible there will be alot of undefended homesteads with useable supplies if this goes down to survival.

@enloopious I really like how you think and your willingness to believe that problems a can be solved. I am more of a pragmatists and I dont think you can help people or solve problems that they create if they have that victim mentality. And unfortunately we have alot of those in America today. People who believe life is fair, or that it should be and that they arent being 'given' their fair share. You cant help others who are not willing to help themselves.

Motomom34, Bandit99 and Tully Mars like this.
  12. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Hi, Moto!

I quite agree with @duane's post. It's a really good one.

I see that I should have included a little more information in my previous post.

SHTF is a very broad term. It cover's everything from a family getting burned out the day before Christmas to Atlantis sinking into the depths of a boiling ocean.

Of late I have not been worrying much about the looming multitude of economic and political catastrophes that await us all.

I've seen what's been going on in places like Venezuela, Zimbabwe, Liberia, and a few others, and I've kind of come to the conclusion that most people can ride out most of the moderate SHTF situations, one way or another.

Those mostly involve pain, suffering, hunger, thirst, loss of the normal standard of living, and/or a sudden decent into abject poverty & despair. Plus a dash of death, here and there.

Which is really nothing new--we've been getting through that sort of thing for thousands of years.

However, I've been reading up on cometary impacts, and the latest information puts them on the Hit List at Number One--and climbing.

Turns out there are a lot more comets out there than most people realize. And they hit the earth far more often than
    was previously thought.

Like, about ten times more often.

The satellites that monitor nuclear testing have been picking up high altitude explosions from incoming comets.

Including a few that were Hiroshima-sized.

Scary stuff. It puts new meaning into the concept of SHTF, and could certainly explain why so many governments have been so busy building Deep Underground Military Bases.

Although I'm sure they have other reasons, as well.

Maybe I'll start a thread on comets a little later...

GOG, Motomom34, Bandit99 and 2 others like this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Something extraterrestrial exploded over the middle Pacific Ocean during golf war 1.
    Could have been bad.

Tully Mars likes this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Hi @UncleMorgan. I think you should make a thread on space threats. And @oil pan 4 can add in what he posted about above. Quite interesting.

@Tully Mars ask @ditch witch about chicken. If she wasn't our Queen of Bacon, I would dub her the Chicken Queen.

Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  15. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

FIRST Truth I read in real life !
    Sloth

Tully Mars likes this.
  16. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

The biggest mistake I see people doing is underestimating the other guy. Everyone was laughing at the overweight antifa noobs who posted the videos of them shooting the dirt around the targets and waving guns around like they were sparklers, but you know what? Ridicule has an amazing way of hardening someone's determination to get better, and history is full of cocky people getting KOed by someone they underestimated.

That said, I do expect the fluffier urban areas like Seattle to be chock full of fancy chicken coops filled with sweater wearing hens free for the taking.

17. enloopious

See there you have a problem. By definition society excludes everyone and is just a small group of people joined together in a common purpose.

These people exist whether you want them to or not. The problem comes when bleeding hearts try to MAKE them fit into society. I'm old school. I believe people should answer for their actions. I don't believe in excuses and the ends NEVER justify the means.

I go back and forth with others about this. We have the same perception but different view points. The victim mentality is like giving up. People become so disillusioned that they take the opposite road and just stop trying. This is because they are defeated mentally. They feel that nothing they do gets them anywhere. Then they start to feel entitled etc. Its a mental problem much like alcoholism, depression, addiction, etc. and is a direct result of over crowding and the decay that goes along with living in a city next to a lot of other people. We NEED nature and trees and the sun on our faces. Jane Goodall did a lot of research on this when she was working on the island with chimps. When overcrowding started all of these same behaviors came out in the chimps... except for the alcoholism of course. One thing is for sure, we are never going to solve the problem by doing the same things and expecting different results.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2017
    Ganado, ditch witch and Tully Mars like this.
  18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I would guess that if Jane had made alcohol available, that would have shown up.

enloopious and Tully Mars like this.
  19. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

While I don't even have firearms at this point in time which I will rectify in the future, I am totally paranoid that the Government (either on their own or someone reports you) will be on your case/harass you/start a file on you, if you discuss and/or go into too much detail on how you would defend yourself using firearms, weapons, etc. Maybe that's a wrong assumption but I think that's probably a reason people avoid really going into the topic on forums.

Tully Mars likes this.
  20. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

It is a valid point.
    If I were you in your AO, I'd see when a large gun show was coming up in the next state to your right and I'd plan a weekend trip. Save up, get a room and get to the show early Sat. morning and score on a FTF buy for any weapons.Many times this can be done in line waiting for the doors to open. I've even bought a couple in the parking lot walking in. Use CASH FOR EVERY PURCHASE. I bring a mix of small and large bills. I'd hit it again around lunch time or a bit after on Sunday. I've scored many times on a Sunday afternoon because the vendor didn't want to pack up any more than he had to. Good time to score on your ammo because ammo is heavy..

ED GEiN and Ganado like this.
  1. Prepsteader13
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    A total game changer!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 5, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 2, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
    Media

New_digs

I think they approved of their new digs.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    I 3D printed dome connectors
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 4 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    Another quail dome after dark.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 5 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    Media

Feeding_time

Quails!
  11. Alanaana
    Media

Flock

Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 2 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
    Everyone loves a room with a good view!
  13. Alanaana
  14. Coyote Ridge
  15. Yard Dart
  16. Yard Dart
  17. fl4848
  18. Motomom34
  19. Motomom34
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7