Honda Releases Flex-Fuel Motorcycle in Brazil

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Quigley_Sharps, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Honda brings a flex-fuel motorcycle to the market with its CG150 TITAN MIX ES. Honda claims the small-displacement motorcycle’s Mix Fuel Injection System makes the new model the “first motorcycle in the world to be equipped with flexible-fuel technology.”

The flex-fuel moniker will allow the new TITAN to take advantage of bio-ethanol fuels. And in Brazil this is significant, as the South American nation is a world leader in utilizing bio-fuel to supplement gasoline for transportation energy. Honda cites “approximately 90% “ of new cars in Brazil sport flex-fuel technology.

Brazil’s bio-ethanol fuel is made by harvesting sugar cane. Touted by President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, Brazil’s ethanol industry has been both praised and criticized. Supporters point to job creation and energy independence from ethanol, meanwhile critics say the use of food sources for fuel leads to rising food costs.

The CG150 TITAN MIX ES will be sold in Brazil by Honda subsidiary Moto Honda da Amazonia Ltda, and the Japanese giant expects 200,000 units sold annually. Honda is a juggernaut in the Brazilian motorcycle market, the Japanese firm accounting for 1.326 million of the 1.91 million new motorcycle registrations in 2008.

Honda Releases Flex-Fuel Motorcycle in Brazil - Motorcycle USA

Im on the hunt for a a flex fuel conversion for older Honda XR type motorcycles and ran across this, interesting...

hank2222 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The motorcycle industry (and others, including ORVs and the major auto makers) are on record as opposing ethanol greater than 10% in current vehicles due to the potential for damage to engines and fuel systems as currently designed. Ethanol also attracts water which will do the obvious, even if treated with stabilizer.

Have to admit, I like the concept of flex fuels. As it now stands, without subsidies, ethanol is a poor way to go from a cost point of view. And, it does make farmers unhappy, too, especially the livestock guys since it runs up the cost of feed. Not to mention that diverting land from other food production might not be a good thing either.

larryinalabama and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Quigley_Sharps

I'm going to make my own fuel during SHTF. then run it in a XR for off road use.
    [kneelsuckers]

VisuTrac likes this.
  5. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

XR's are getting hard to find. I could kick myself in the head for GIVING away an XR200 about a decade ago. I got tired of fixing the motor (twice) and gave it to a friend of mine. He fixed it and still has it.

Honda now makes the CRF line for 4 stroke dirt bikes instead of the XR. My sister has one and it is a really nice bike. It is so quiet that you mostly hear the chain instead of the motor. I wonder if you can do any mods to the CRF's?

6. Quigley_Sharps

Im sure someone can mod it, just need to fins those kits.

XR's are plenty out here , I swear everyone had one at one time or another in these parts.

7. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

Flex fuel in 'merica is a joke. E85 costs more than regular gas and nets you about 75% of the fuel economy as regular gas. I'm generally not in the habit of paying more for less. Of course it works in Brazil because they make it from sugar cane rather than corn and can make it for far less $$$.

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Three Facts...
    1.I use only 100% Regular Gas...
    2.Corn whiskey is fine...fine...fine...
    3.Sugar Cane whiskey is nasty...Like drinking vodka with 5# of suger mixed in...I kid you not...

9. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

All the better to use it for fuel. Florida COULD be a major player in the ethanol market, if they ponied up the initial investment in infrastructure.
    It works well in Brazil, because EVERYBODY uses it. I was PO'd when I got five MPG less mileage in my KLR650 with the ethanol-corrupted gas (E10) - and other KLR owners note the same thing. Older carbed vehicles do not like it.

10. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

But rum....made from sugar cane...on the other hand...

I do enjoy me some dark Jamaican rum about 50-50 with pineapple juice on a summer day.

Redneck Rebel likes this.
  11. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Instead of flex fuels, I'd like to see a relatively inexpensive diesel dirtbike for sale on the North American market. (Yeah, right, wet dream. Should I put a laughing smiley here...)

strunk likes this.
  12. Seawolf1090

A) Have the small company proucing the Diesel KLR650 for the military produce more for the civilian market or allow other companies to produce on license.....

B) Reduce the unit price from the projected $18,000 per bike to a reasonable $6,000 to $6,500 per bike.

The bike exists already, but NO ONE will pay Beemer prices for a slower KLR.......

13. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

At 6k and equipped the way they are for the Corp I'd not hesitate to pick one up.

strunk likes this.
  14. ghrit

Heh. I'd be on it like stink in a sewer plant, even at 10 grand. 18K? No way. I guess we have to remember that the military equips to top of the line specs and pays top dollar for the product. I'm sure there is removable fat in the deal that could bring it in line with what the average joe can reach.

15. strunk

strunk Monkey+

Let's start seeing some diesel motorcycles, then you'll have my attention. :)

EDIT: Target price could be anywhere from $2K-$4K above the cost of a similar gasoline powered model. I don't expect to see anything worth my time for $6K with a diesel power plant.

16. ghrit

Here's one, current military production. I could live with 96 mpg, even if I couldn't take it on the Interstates.

Redirect Notice

17. Seawolf1090

On the KLR forum, they were discussing the then-projected civilian market Diesel KLR - the company rep initially stated a $12,000 price for the bike, then it soon escalated to $18,000 - the civilian version, NOT the military model! The projected market model was to be based onthe Second Generation KLR with the less-rugged ABS plastics, instead of the military's Gen One bikes. The only real change is the new diesel motor - make THAT available to us, we could do the swap ourselves!

The old military bikes are not DOT comliant and cannot be licensed. Nearly impossible to find surplus, as they get destroyed nowadays.

I expect BMW will ultimately bring one out, but not in MY price range.
    There are also electric dual sport bikes being made and sold, but the range (as with all electrics) is limited. Performance is awesome though!

18. strunk

strunk Monkey+

I've been looking around. I've got an old motorcycle sitting out back that needs the engine removed from the frame anyway to do some work on it. Been thinking about picking up a ~20HP Chinese diesel engine for it. It won't be fast. But that's not the point of such a swap. Fabbing up the motor mount will be easy enough, but figuring out how to set up the primary drive to the transmission will take a bit of personal growth on my part, or outsourcing to someone with better fabrication skills.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Go for it man...!!! Take a few pict's and start a thread when your done...More may want to follow suit....

20. Seawolf1090

Maybe look at the old British bikes - some had separate trans, that could maybe make the fabrication easier? I'm not that up on old British bikes.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7