Honey Flow - honey on tap

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by CATO, Feb 17, 2015.

1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Georgia_Boy and kellory like this.
  2. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

That's pretty darn cool. My wife is dying to have some bees.

3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Same here @madmax . We have never done it, and I know only the very basics of the craft. We have several bee boxes that were left by a beekeeper on the property years ago. Don't know who or where he/she may be as the person that gave permission to put the boxes there originally has passed away. The boxes are all in pretty bad shape, but might be salvageable for parts. We both have an interest in this but has been pretty far down on the list of things to do, or get into. BUT the above may change that;) VERY interesting indeed!

Great post and thanks @CATO

kellory likes this.
  4. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

TM, are there bees in the hives?

5. Tully Mars

Last I looked a few in one of them.

6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

If the price is reasonable, that might be a nice way to go.:)

Tully Mars likes this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

8. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

As a beekeeper... It sounds too good to be true...

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  9. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I agree--I'm suspicious, but, TV seems like it wouldn't work either . . . . So, sounds like a 'speer-a-mint's in order.

You contact them, see how much their contraption is; I buy it (provided it is something reasonable), send it to you.
    You see if it works. If it doesn't, burn it. But, if so, you send me 10% of what you collect from that hive. Eh?[beer]

10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'm going to bet that someone is going to get into bees, drain all the honey (leaving nothing for over winter) and say that raising bees is too damn hard and expensive.

That said. I lost my hive this year to yellow jackets. I've never seen so many in my life. They were everywhere around the property this year.

ditch witch and Tully Mars like this.
  11. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I like that a lot...I wonder how much.

12. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I may check them out with the local Ag-extension and see what they think...

Tully Mars likes this.
  13. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Brokor likes this.
  14. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I have bee keeping experience. The nectar bees gather must have the excess moisture evaporated so it is concentrated into honey. That process takes time and the times varies dramatically with ambient temperatures, humidity and strength of the hive. When it is complete, the bees cap the honey filled cell with the wax. They don't uncap it until they need it for food. If the honey was drained from the middle of the comb, the bees would not likely uncap it to refill it so at some point the keeper would need to cut the caps off. And then if there was a drain hole in the cell, the bees would plug it up with wax and or propolis. Furthermore, if honey is removed prior to it reaching the proper sugar concentration which kills bacteria, it can be hazardous to your health. Shy of some kind sensors to measure sugar concentration, I don't know how it could determine when honey was ready to be drained. I suppose a plastic honey comb could have moving sections to open and close drains and re-open cell caps but the face of a frame would still need to be visually inspected for capping so honey isn't prematurely harvested. I am very skeptical of this whole thing. I smell hoax as well.

AT

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    ditch witch likes this.
  15. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Don't you guys know anything? They simply got the bees drunk. Inside the bee houses, there's probably a disco ball, a few kegs and all the fraternity girls, dancing around getting sloshed...You fellas are ignoring the TUBES, man! Everybeedy loves a beer bong!

Here's how it works:

STEP 1: GET THE BEES DRUNK. (shhh, don't tell!)

STEP 2: INSERT TUBES. SOMEHOW.

STEP 3: The bees will vomit like no tomorrow...HONEY! WOOO!

Tap dat sh*#, buzzah.

Ganado, Motomom34, VisuTrac and 2 others like this.
  16. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I keep bees, and can't see how this could possibly work, not even remotely possible.

Ganado likes this.
  17. kellory

I want to see what is under the hood, behind the door, and under the skirt.
    As I am hoping to add a beehive to my hunting property this year, this would do nicely. (If it is real).
    Dies it have a patent yet? The descriptions of function and method should make some interesting reading.

18. Tully Mars

Patented by the son I believe.

19. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

If it looks to good to be true, it is. I raised bee hives as a kid, and even when you take the combs out and cut the cell caps off with the electric hot knife the honey will not just run out. So I assume their patent makes the combs splittable from the middle, it still won't just run out, and so how are the bees going to know to re-fill those cells because they will have a wax cap on each cell still. I have some beachfront property in Yuma that I can sell all the investors in this "invention".

Yard Dart likes this.
  20. kellory

just because I do not understand it, does not mean it's impossible. this may be slight of hand, or a process I simply don't understand yet.
    I can think of at least three different ways to remove the caps without opening the hive right now. I want to know what's going on inside

1. Motomom34
  2. techsar
  3. Meat
  4. SB21
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Motomom34
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Witch Doctor 01
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid