Hoodies

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Meat, Apr 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I’ve had better luck staying warm in the outdoors with cotton hoodies than pretty much anything else. When they start to soak through I peel them off and exchange it for a dry one and repeat the process. Unless it’s a downpour I can’t function very well with a raincoat and I sweat like mad. Then I’m wet from the inside out. Rain gear also seems to keep you cold. I do have one fleece hoodie that sheds water slightly and is the warmer than the rest. This really works best for me in Western Washington’s climate.
    [afro]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Meat likes this.
  3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Usually wear a hoodie under my welding shirts when needed. The cheapos from Dollar General work just fine and I don't snivel when they get trashed from welding.

and yes you can pull the hood up and over a welding hood, esp a pancake. With the auto lens you don't have to raise your hood til you're done.;)

HK_User and Meat like this.
  4. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Yes. I wear beanies as well. With the hoodie over it it’ll stay dry for the most part. I always have spares as well. :D

HK_User and Tully Mars like this.
  5. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

I wear a hoodie and a carhartt vest all winter no coat for me

Meat likes this.
  6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I was an avid climber (rock & alpine) for most my life. I took U.S. military and numerous civilian courses over the years, even from some big names to include guys that teach the Bergfuhrers (German mountain guides) and the German Alpine Korps.

During one of these course, can't remember which, I was told that "one loses 70% of your body heat via your head" so if your cold, put a hat on and if your hot, take it off. This and extremities (feet and hands) always need more attention, much more, than you think. These two points have served me well then and now (still have all my fingers and toes).

Tully Mars, Yard Dart, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Check out Fred asbell wool hoodie they are pricey but will keep you warm when wet

Remember in cold weather cotten kills

8. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Yes. I do know that about cotton. I only works for me when I have the ability to change into a dry hoodie. I’ll check out your link. Thanks.

HK_User likes this.
  9. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I know a place where I can get us wool blanket for about 10$ and taking apart a old hoodie and making a pattern then make my own wool hoodie.

Dont, Tully Mars, Meat and 3 others like this.
  10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Too wet here for cotton anything outdoors except for summer. I layer using wool and synthetics. In the winter I use thin synthetic long johns to stay dry much like a sock liner. Gore-Tex is your friend when its wet, and don't forget the gaiters.

11. Bandit99

@Bishop "I know a place where I can get us wool blanket for about 10$"
    What type are they? I purchase one that was made in India and had an unpleasant smell about it. I wash it and stuck it in can with some coffee beans for a month; it's due to come out next week. Would these happen to be old military blankets because that's what I am looking for.

On a side note, I usually wear a fleece skull cap under a wool/synthetic skull cap (yeah, two caps) or two fleece. You wouldn't believe how warm they are working together...

Tully Mars, Meat and HK_User like this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Now days, the tech wear is so good, and the prices have come down to the point a person can do pretty much any thing and stay in budget. I hate hoodies, the U severey cut off your visual range, and diminish your hearing ( I already have to wear hearing aids) while it seems a good idea, it's not for me! Carhart has a range of tech wear that is simply awesome, it' expensive, but lasts and holds up well to a lot of abuse! Iron Tech also has a range of gear similar to Carhart, worth checking out! Mountain Hardware, Marmot, and Columbia Sportswear offer awesome weather protection in light weight breathable materials, and while tough, they will not last like the above mentioned. Food for thought!

Dont, Tully Mars, Meat and 2 others like this.
  13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

you just need long curly Hair @Meat, its water repellant for about 5 hours, then it takes a day to dry out...

Ura-Ki, Hanzo, Tully Mars and 3 others like this.
  14. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I had that look a couple of years ago. On a dare. Lol. I’m digging that wool hoodie Bishop posted about. I’m a cheapskate normally but that’s on my list. Part of the point of my post was the availability and cost of cotton hoodies like TM mentioned. I’m outdoors pretty much all week and I know what works for me. I also have a dozen old ones stashed away for the end of times. :D

Ura-Ki and Ganado like this.
  15. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Ura-Ki and Meat like this.
  16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

im still looking for @Bandit99 $10 wool blankets, i can fix the smell

17. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Thanks, just had a zipper go TU on a favorite. Now a Asbell on the way.

Problem around here is the Moth population seems to get anyplace they want.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
    Ura-Ki, Ganado and Meat like this.
  18. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

No sure where they are made but a lady at one of the flea markets had green and grey will have to swing by and see if she still has any

19. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I have a timber ghost and a camo sleeve less will be picking up another in may at the Tennessee classic bow shoot

20. Bandit99

Hi G! I got them at Harbor Freight. They had them on sale but think normal price is something like $15.

Ura-Ki and Meat like this.
  1. ED GEiN
  2. Swedish woman
  3. Swedish woman
  4. Hanzo
  5. HK_User
  6. Yard Dart
  7. Motomom34
  8. Ganado
  9. stg58
  10. H.I.S Survival
  11. Motomom34