Hoodies

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Meat, Apr 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I water proofed some nylon wind breakers with hoods ,and have cotton polyester hoodies for underneath . I stay dry and comfortable .

HK_User and Meat like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I used to wear fleece all the time. But I noticed that it was not as wind-proof as my sweatshirts. I do not care for hoodies but like pullover cotton sweatshirts without the zipper and hood.

Ura-Ki, Meat and HK_User like this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

cedar essential oil or random blocks of cedar wood, that fixes moths

4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I guess I'm outa luck unless I want the truck and BOB to smell.

Ura-Ki, Ganado and Meat like this.
  5. HK_User

They now have wind proof fleece and Massif makes a windproof and water proof lite weight fleece jacket.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Ura-Ki, Ganado and Meat like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

My main fleece was a pricey REI heavy weight fleece. I noticed that I am warmer if I have a long-john shirt, a flannel with a sweatshirt over it.

7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I run around without a shirt on..... makes it a wee nipply around these parts....:p

8. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I like cotton hoodies and wear them from fall through till spring. I have Purchased the on sale light weight ones and wear a regular sweat shirt over a hoody. Then I got a heavy weight Carhart hoody and that thing had fit the winter wear needs very well. Now they have come out with a treated hoody that repels rain. Feels kind of stiff when wearing when compared to a non treated one..

The thing I do not care for with synthetic fiber clothing is it is noisy. An un natural noise. A synthetic shell is fine for cold weather riding or work, however unless it is raining as opposed to snow it is the hoody.

Meat likes this.
  9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

We can't all be hairy chested He-Men from the PNW ;)

10. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

This is the fleece hoodie that is sweet. FR. I could never afford one with my company account because I have a tendency to wear out all of my FR pants. Luckily my buddy got this covered in hydraulic oil and he got a replacement. It cleaned up nicely for me and I’ve been wearing it for 4 years or so. Jackpot! :D
    Omega Hoodie (Black, Nomex Fleece), DragonWear-Supplycache.com

Ura-Ki and Yard Dart like this.
  11. HK_User

DragonWear comes up on Ebay as Wild Land Fire Fighting Gear.
    I wear Wild Land Fire Fighting pants most days. 60/40 Kevlar/Nomex and wears like iron but gets soft with age.

Ura-Ki and Meat like this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I did not need to know that lol [kissit]

@HK_User what do you mean you want it to smell, cedar smells hehe

or do you mean you want that lanolin manly sweat smell at the BoB?

Dont, Ura-Ki, Meat and 1 other person like this.
  13. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Well I was just joking...... to dang cold this time of year for that action. ;)

Ura-Ki, Meat and Ganado like this.
  14. HK_User

I want no smells that might draw attention from anything.
    While ceder is fine in a cedar chest it becomes a bit oppressive in a truck cab at 120 degrees.

Ura-Ki, Meat and Ganado like this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Thanks @HK_User for explaining that and it doesn't take much to fend them off. Most people use too much cedar, moths are more sensitive than ppl with regard to the smell.

16. HK_User

We have Salt Ceders around here, not sure how Moths react to it. I'm ready to burn a couple of tons of that stuff when the weather gets right.

17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That is a $250 hoodie and it says it is fleece. That is not a normal hoodie. I wear GAP sweat shirts and own a Wal-mart special. I thought you meant hoodies like they wear in da hood. [melbo]

18. HK_User

Normal for those who work around gear that might catch them on fire.The Safety man at my "last job" spent 5 minutes telling me why such gear was not Co. Provided. I spent 30 seconds telling him why I provided my own. Now all who work in certain locations wear a full set each day. Yes, they were happy to see me retire.

https://www.thinknsa.com/product/flame-resistant-nomex-fleece-cap

Tully Mars, Meat and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I forgot, Columbia Sportswear has a line of thermal wear called Omni-Heat that is both light, and strong, and very toasty. They do a fleese type beeny/night watch cap that is very warm and pretty water proof. Pro tip, get one that fits nice and snug and will just cover the ears when unfolded fully, they really do block the wind and keep you warm and mostly dry, just don't wash and dry mechanically, do them by hand in a very mild soap and water and let air dry! We have their Titanium Omni-Heat Series technical jackets and bibs for winter time chores outside, they are simply awesome, and hold up pretty well to abrasion and are completely water resistant! Worth a look!
    Dragonwear is about the best you can get, but cleaning is a chore, and care must be taken to get the life out of it!

Meat likes this.
  20. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

These keep me from becoming BBQ.

1. ED GEiN
  2. Swedish woman
  3. Swedish woman
  4. Hanzo
  5. HK_User
  6. Yard Dart
  7. Motomom34
  8. Ganado