Horses for SHTF - The ultimate Bug Out Vehicle BOV?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Minuteman, Oct 26, 2008.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Good for you on being at a point in life that you can afford the luxury of owning horses. Something I'll probably never be able to afford to give my wife, unless I win the lottery or something. Thank god I have a sensible wife that wouldn't put us in the poor house so she could own something afforded to her growing up.

2. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I added to the herd recently. I have always been one who thinks that an animal should earn it's keep. I have enjoyed the horses and justified thier keep with being able to use them to bug out if necessary. But there were only two and three of us. I have been looking for a big horse for me ( I'm a big guy). I had the chance to get a large ( 15 1/2 hands) gelded Quarter horse and he had a little stout half Arab that he was raised with. So I got the them as a pair. The gelding is a sure footed good trail horse, the Appy and the Dun are coming along nice as riders. The Arab is only green broke but is a natural follower. You don't even have to halter her and she will follow you around and leads easy with a lead rope. So we now have 3 good riders and a pack horse.
    Now I have started staking them out in the yard during the day and letting them eat grass. So they are cutting down on the hay bill and on my mowing time. Plus fertilizing the yard. So I guess they are earning thier keep.

I am getting to old to hump through the woods with a backpack. The older I get the more stuff I remove from my BOB. If we ever had to leave and couldn't use vehicles then we at last have the horses now. Better than a bicycle and sure better than walking!!

Here is the little Arab mowing the grass
    My "Big Boy"
    And the other two
    Horses 011. Horses 017. Horses 015.

3. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Very nice Minuteman!

1. DKR
  2. Clownbear69
  3. Ura-Ki
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Yard Dart