How can I make a hidden storage bunker.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by fortunateson, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

BackwoodsmanUSA> I always wondered what those shelters cost. Gosh for an extra 2k.... I could increase the # of occupants to 40 and invite all our kinfolk. Thank you for that link. It brings the costs into perspective. Total package looks to be around 80-100k to me.... I think a hand dug cinder block root cellar for food is more in line with our resources.

2. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

I have to say, be careful with buried shipping containers. They have collapsed because of side loading in the past. They may have come up with some supports recently, I don't know, but you still have to be careful.

Personally I like the hidden room in the home idea.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just a NOTE Here: Conex Boxes can be buried, IF you supply internal Bracing Supports, between the SideWalls, every 4 feet, vertical, and 6 feet along the length, and have Floor to ceiling braces down the center, every 6 Feet, until the soil around the outside settles and gets compact. This usually takes about two years. There is a fellow up in Alaska that built a Living Space, out of 6 ea. 20 ft Conex Boxes. Two buried, two for the Main floor, and two for the Second Floor. He braced the buried ones for a couple of years, and didn't use them, and cut holes between the upper 4 for doors, passageways, and stairs, then fabricated and welded sealing lips between the two sides of the openings to seal up the openings, from the inside. In the Spring, when he does his Spring Cleaning, he just opens up the BIG Doors on the ends and sweeps out the clutter, and closes them back up. The buried ones are uninsulated, and the top 4 were Refer Boxes, and Insulated. He sold the Refer Units off the boxes for 60% of his costs, to a local shipping company for spare Parts, and built the entrance and windows in that end, for the main floor, and just built insulated walls with windows, to replace the Refer Units, in the second floor boxes. Once the soil had compacted and settled for two years, he cut a stairway hole down to the Basement Boxes, removed the supports, and built shelves and installed his shop and tool room. It worked for Him...

4. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

That good to know. Also years ago I saw a video by Bob Vellia (SP) The home improvement guy. In Florida they were using shipping containers to turn into homes. They insulated these with a ceramic paint. The thickness of a credit card gave it the same insulation factor of 6" of fiberglass batting. It was crazy, I wish I still had the link.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7