How do you hide a fire?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by sniper-66, Aug 14, 2005.

1. AlaskaErik

AlaskaErik Monkey++

I wonder why we didn't learn this when I went through survival school. I would consider this to be one of the most important aspects of fire building.

2. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Yep, a shame Dakota holes were not taught. They are the hottest, quickest, and easiest to hide(if that is possible) from IR detection. Solar ovens have captured my attention and work flawlessly as long as there is sun. A few small pieces of cardboard and foil will produce quite a bit of heat.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Wow, even this "Old Dog" learned a new trick.... that Dakota Hole fire pit, just makes so much sense, that it never crossed by mind.... Way cool, and I am very happy to have added that to my Institutional Knowledge Archive, I call my Brain. Thanks for putting it here on the Monkey...

4. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Great pics! Illustrates the Dakota pit well.

5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Judging by how the smell of a BBQ'ing a steak makes me drool; smell travels also. In a survival situation, everything you do uses up fuel; digging a Dakota included.

During the Vietnam war, the Army experimented with "people sniffing." The system detects concentrations of ammonia and carbon.

According to the article; the system worked.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Much easier and more sensitive is a FLIR Imager. It shows most Hot Blooded Mammals, much better, and can track Heat Sources, like fires much easier.

7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Long before FLIR existed, fires were a no no.

8. prepperfirst

prepperfirst Monkey+

I don't want to sound like a smart-ass....hide it under water....nobody will find it.

9. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Great post sniper. This is the basic premise that the 'rocket stove' works on. They'll smoke some when you first start them up but you can get a very hot fire going with little to no smoke. Food smells do travel verrrry far and quite quickly. So if you're trying to avoid detection by a known force in your AO, best to skip any open or cooking fire.

As an alternative, I always have aluminum foil with me when I'm out in the woods. I love to bake with fire heated rocks buried underground. You can let your food cool sufficiently and there will be less smell to travel when you open it. Yes this still requires a small hot fire. The Dakota Hole would be ideal me thinks...

Byte

Mike likes this.
  10. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

Smart idea. Will have to try that out soon.

From an old vet, be safe as you can, return in one piece. give them hell

God Bless Texas!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
  1. Illini Warrior
  2. DKR
  3. Ura-Ki
  4. Ganado
  5. Merkun
  6. DuxDawg
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid