How does preparedness affect your day to day life

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Imasham, Dec 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Tevin, excellent post. Seems like these days, more mundane situations seem to be arising. For example, here we are in the middle of the busiest travel weekends and we have airport closures in the east and northeast and central U.S, delays and cancellations at airports in S. Cali, winter storms and crashes from the middle of the country to the east coastand power outages from snow and ice all over the place. I would think that we on the Monkey should be able to get through all of these situations not necessarily easily, but with less discomfort than a whole lot of other folks.

EMP? GTW? Heck, give me a nice hot bowl of soup in front of a roaring fireplace when it's 10 degrees, icy and the power is out.

Kajun

Tevin and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

One of the biggest eye openers I ever had when I started this life journey, It's all in your mind!!! How you prepare your mind for things, be it daily chores, fun things, preps, a hobby ect, it all comes down to having the right mind set. A positive mind set is the real key to every thing!!! Knowing all that you know, having the skills and abilities, the wisdom passed from others, life experiences, none of this is ever going to be easy, but having your Mind Prepped with a positive, can-do attitude will surely have a positive effect on any outcome. all the rest is putting every thing you can together and working through the problems!

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I would like to share my experience, here.... When AlaskaChick travels to NYC for her meetings, with DR's w/o Boarders, or a Training Session at their Training Site in Upper NY, I worried a lot about how she would get back here, should an EVENT (ala 9/11) happen... We setup a couple of plans... First one would be to cross into Canada, and get on Canadian Railroad to Vancouver, BC then on to Prince Rupert, BC and catch the Alaska State Ferry to Juneau.... But the Second, and Backup Plan, was to make contact with some Trusted Monkeys, who were close, and then move, from Monkey to Monkey across the country, as travel permitted. She keeps her Comms, and Backup Comms, with her when she travels, so even if things go very BAD, she can relay messages home, thru Ham Radio Operators, and other means, should they be available. We have a Family MonkeyNet Phrase PAD, that was specifically designed for this situations, and can effectively communicate intentions, with 3 to 5 Two Number Groups. This was all put into place back when MonkeyNet was being designed, and we make sure that she has all the Comms & MonkeyNet stuff, packed , every time she leaves....

4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

There is not a time I leave the house, and not think of how I'm getting home,
    If my bike/truck/car, are completely compromised due to EMP or earth quake and the fissures are too great to get my transportation across to safety, that means i'm on foot the rest of the way . Having folding bike really sounds good but difficult on a motorcycle.
    To compound this ,if there are volcanic eruptions as a result the several geothermal sites I know of in southern calif would exacerbate the situation expotentially .
    Added, is a friend that is getting dialysis treatments I'm shuttling her to every other day or so, this event will in fact kill her and those like her. either abruptly or slow and painful.
    During an event like this, how long do you hang out with some one that is compromised in some weakened state ?
    Tough call.

5. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Gives me a sense of calm and confidence.

Sapper John likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Motomom34