How far are you willing to travel?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by BlackTydeTactical, Nov 2, 2011.

1. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

As a long haul trucker,I might have to face months of travel,being in most cases over a thousand mile's from home.
    Then once there facing the possability of having to immediatly turn around,and bug out.
    My buggin out gear that goes everywhere I do,can pretty much be streatched about three months if I go heavy on my foods,lighten my gear,and depend more on skill than gear.
    Acting out the"The Book of Eli"is something I do not relish,but do so I will if need be.
    I hope to God such things dont come to pass,that force such a journey apon me,or anyone else for that matter.
    A dark world such a place would be.
    Matt

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Matt, I've seen a couple mopeds, scooters, and light dirt bikes behind the sleepers on OTR rigs now and then.

Sapper John and Falcon15 like this.
  3. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

I've been planning on one of the foldup Mt.bike's(Fuji,or Trek),but none are cheap.Got a skateboard though.
    Matt

4. sixfifty

sixfifty Monkey+

Looks like we are in the same area; need someone to help row the boat?

Seriously, I plan on bugging out BEFORE the SHTF if possible, dodge diesel truck with almost 100 gal. capacity between tanks and cans. I have to travel almost 250 miles across the Cascade Mtns. to get to my current BOL. If I have to resort to foot travel, my plan goes out the window unless it happens during the summer months, I won't be going over the mtn.'s on foot in December.

Plan B means heading south through the Seattle and Portland areas to reach a spot in S. Oregon that I'm welcomed in, NOT a good idea.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Too late for me now...I can only hope that NOTHING goes sideways until after April next year! I just found out the place is getting lots of heavy wet snow. Once it starts it seldom lets up! Even with a break, it would be 2 weeks before the mud dried up enough to drive on! Oh well, nature can be a really nasty mother at times!

6. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Well...I am one of those whose home is the BOL for others...most of whom live within 30 miles, half within 10, and 3 have 300-1000mi trips that will require an early start.

We also have 4 backup locations (mining claims) ranging from 2 miles to 15 miles from home...3 with caches and 1 we just obtained and will be stocking this year.

The daughter 300 miles away's home is also an alternate with some preps, but is on a major refugee route...being on Donner Pass just off I80. Fortunately, her area will not be a refugee route of choice during the winter and she has a decent back door route up here in the better weather months. It can also as sort of a "way station" for the son coming from AZ. The Bro-in-law in SoCal is the biggest worry...but he is just a couple of years from retirement and relocation here.

7. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

My primary residence is my BOL. My 1st backup is 17 miles away, my secondary backup is 23 miles away, my 3rd place is 45 miles away, and my last possible destination is 550 miles away (this is the one I would fall back to in a radioactive fallout type event).
    Most of our preps and planning goes into staying here and defending what is ours. We are in a VERY good location in spite of being in the people's republic of New York.
    One thing you need to keep in mind when looking for a BOL is the ability to actually get to it. A BOL isnt worth a pinch of dog stool if you cant get there. I know some people from downstate that think having a shared hunting cabin in New Hampshire is a good BOL but when TSHTF and you cant get out of downstate NY, that cabin aint doin anybody any good.
    Personally I would rather have a less than perfect BOL that I can get get to than a perfect one that I could never make it to if things get nuts.

8. Gunny Highway

Gunny Highway Hard Work and Sacrifice blessed by God's Grace

My property is about 3 to 3 1/2 hours hard driving away, to get there in that amount of time it means anticipating things going to hell. The wife and I are making plans to make it our full time place.

9. Kannonman

Kannonman Monkey+

Having to bug out rather than in is my worst nightmare. It will take a radiation cloud or something else just as drastic heading right for us to get me to move and then only as far as I have to and for as long as I have to.

10. My home is were I'm staying. Going to acquire the necessary materials to harden it up. Solar, generator, fencing, whatever it takes. About 1 hr drive from the closest city. Off the beaten path.

11. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

You know, I have been reflecting on the Bug Out/Bug In dialogue. To me, it is much like weapon and gear selection. What works for you may not work for others. This is one of those things that circumstance, personal preference, ability, resources, and desire play a huge role in. Seeing as we each have differing sets of those items, among other things, this kind of discussion is good, for ideas and reviewing your circumstances. Ultimately, however, we each have to live with the choices we make when a scenario plays out. Where some, like Kannonman, will only bug out if circumstances are dire, others will bug out if riots and wholesale lawlessness start encroaching even close to where they are.

My group has had on-going discussions about our "trigger" event - the event that we, as a group, say it is time to Bug Out. This, like the bug-in/bug-out discussion is something you, as a prepper or group of preppers will have to decide well in advance. Bugging out too late can be worse than not bugging out at all. Take the folks who got stranded on the highway for 16+ hours trying to evacuate when Hurricane Rita was headed towards the coastal Gulf region. They waitied until they were told to evacuate. The smart money was on the folks who left even just 6 hours before the mass exodus started.

These are things my group talks about continuously, every time we meet. We have a set of "triggers" in place. However, being preppers, we try to cover every contingency possible. An impossible task it may be, but it keeps us on our toes, eyes open, head on a swivel. As with anything, YMMV.

BTPost and Sapper John like this.
  12. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

We live in our BOL. :D

13. munchy

munchy Monkey+++

I guess it depends on the situation and means of travel for me. If I have the time and inclination my best bet is 500+ miles away if I can drive with trailer. Other than that its home in an area where alot of people will be headed toward, relatively outa the way but its where almost everything I have is. I can take a midway trip less than a hundred miles thats secure. I guess short term is close to home then midway and eventually far. All depends on the situation.

14. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

What I like is the "ability" to travel, fairly well "unobserved", unless it's by air!
    There are all kinds of "backroads" ways, into several areas that I can stay for a while, then move again until I get to my BOL. I have some friends that are in strategic locations (out of the way) that have yet to be mapped or GPS'd. Most of the roads are NOT really roads at all, just trails thru the desert areas...very seldom ever used, so they are marked by use of cactus, and rocks in patterns so far unknown and unused by anyone prior.
    Now depending on the scenario that presents itself at any given time, that may not be a choice I'd make,...But it's a backup plan, as opposed to trying to move along any major road or highway. Moving at night in a new moon situation is even better, BUT waiting for that to happen is a gamble at best.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7