How Gud Is Yer Glue

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by 3M-TA3, May 31, 2022.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Glad I keep JB Weld in all my vehicles and tool boxes and emergency kits

This is one of my favorite YT channels. This guy methodically does destructive testing on all sorts of things like tools.

Gator 45/70, oldawg, Ura-Ki and 6 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

JB Weld has been my go-to fixer for years.

Gator 45/70, oldawg, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

10 set epoxy works comparably to JB weld.
    but for wood, West System Epoxy cannot be beat.
    You must be very careful using it, because it actually grows into the wood. It will penetrate your skin. latex gloves are a must.
    I used a lot of it doing fiberglass work on boats and wave runners.
    as with almost any Epoxy, they need to be mixed in very small batches as they will tend to get hot enough to smoke and bubble if you mix too much at once. the fact they heat up opens the pores and fibers if any.
    Once my boss over mixed a batch and it boiled.
    With plastics, it is possible to weld them providing you have the patience to do so.
    Like any element that has a chemical make up, if you get it too hot you change the structure, so it is important to just barely establish it's melting point.
    I have made repairs on plastic gas cans successfully that have lasted many years now.
    Learn the difference between composites and plastic. composites don't melt they burn. those require epoxy repairs.
    Another trick is super glue using almost any fine powder to form missing material and a Dremel to carve to a machine fit if necessary.

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Gorilla glue, and almost any epoxy can be mixed with alcohol to thin it and get it to penetrate wood or other porous materials better! I use a lot of Hi-Sol adhesives, which is pretty damn strong, yet flexible, you gotta work hard and smart with it or it will not work well! West Systems Epoxy and Hi-Fil green filler ( Bondo) is one of the strongest epoxies there is, but like listed above, you gotta go slow and be extra careful!

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and SB21 like this.
  5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Back in the 70s ,, I took some JB Weld ,, mixed it up ,, and smoothed it into to the rivet grooves in my brake rotor from worn out pads ,, figured it was worth a try. It didn't work.

But I was pretty impressed with it's success in that video.

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Every kind of glue has it’s place even hot glue.
    I am curious about some glue advertised that UV light sets it , any one have experience with it?

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Yes! Some of it works awesome, some just so-so! Depends on what you want it to do and how strong you need it to be, cost is a lot more then normal, but it's trick might be worth the cost to you! Personally, I think it's pretty dang useful in small quantities where you need extra hands and don't have them!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

The other adhesives I use extensively is CA glue, usually the medium/gap filling version, and I always keep a bottle of instant cure handy! Between the CA glue and Baking Soda, ( or any super fine powder) you have an extraordinary strong glue for not much weight or volume! Think of it like super glue for adults!

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  9. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

A number of years ago, I picked up a cracked ceramic pot (pretty good sized one!) for $2, at Lowe's. Figured the worst that happens is that I wasted $2, right? Talked with a good friend, who does her own hand made pottery, and asked her if she'd recommend anything for repairing that crack. She told me to buy this stuff. Every potter she knows uses it. You can paint over it, and it will stick to bare or glazed ceramic (along with a bunch of other stuff). I keep a tube handy, at all times. (y)

Ignore the "Robot or human?" question. Guess Walmart doesn't like hot-linking?? LOL The link is good, though!
    Robot or human?

Ura-Ki likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7