How Important is Having NOAA Weather Band on Your Portable AM/FM Radio During SHTF?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Oct 23, 2019.

1. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

I'm currently re-evaluating and tweaking what's in my prepacked get out immediately pants, jacket and backpack, and I was wondering if I should carry a palm sized super light AM/FM radio that works on batteries only and does not have NOAA Weather band instead of a larger one that does for space reasons. The larger radio with NOAA has a crank and can also be powered by USB as well as batteries.
    How important is NOAA during SHTF if you have AM/FM?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I would say it could be handy to have . How many more ounces are you adding with NOAA ?? If you're on foot , trekking thru the hills , and can have a 12 to 24 hour notice of a major storm coming thru ,, would sure be nice to know so you could find or build a nice safe shelter . JMO.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

NOAA Radio is good for Wx info, but in a NO SHIT, SHTF Event, the EBS System will be blasting over Am & Fm bands with whatever info the .Gov wants you to know.... I, myself, have ears on every Fed, State, and local Emergency Frequency in my AO... Because Comms is my thing, but for the average Perp’er that is usually not required... If your AO is known for hazardous Wx, then maybe, but otherwise it is just some extra noise....

damoc and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

As an old Army grunt, I would say the weather is what it is.
    You operate and move through it...as it is and endure.
    Knowing what the weather will be, is nice, but not necessary.
    On the other side of the coin, there is no additional weight or cost to a radio like that, so why not.

Gator 45/70, ED GEiN and SB21 like this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Ed,
    Why not invest in Baofeng F8HP handheld which costs a whopping ~$60. It would give you dual-band (VHF/UHF) and would allow you all the NOAA freqs plus it works as a FM Radio (88-108Mhz) too, fits in your pocket, good battery life and you can even program it via CHIRP which is free and a great program. You would have to spend a few bucks more to get a better antenna (~$15-$20) but I think this is what you need.

Yes, I realize you probably don't have a license but you could also easily rectify that this winter (good winter project) and you don't need a license to just listen.

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I figure the real event will be broadcasted on all frequencies.
    And if it's real bad there won't a noaa.

Gator 45/70 and ED GEiN like this.
  7. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

a decent weather station to follow and do some predicting at home and any BOL makes sense for severe SHTF situations - never going to have the week ahead guess-a-mation of the US Bureau - but any weather determination is better than nothing >>> especially with the minor $$$$ involved ....
    if you are connected by ham in a network there's always the possibility of collecting enough data for a weatherperson to make some decent scientific predicting ....

3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Will look into it, thanks

9. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

10. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Pick up a Baofeng UV5R from fleebay. FM+NOAA+Walki Talki+HAM+Small Flashlight for $25

3M-TA3, Bandit99 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@ED GEiN Even the lower wattage (5 watts) Baofeng like @BenP suggested (UV5R) would be better and costs only ~$25 as you could use it to transmit in an emergency. So, even though you purchased the pocket radio, which is really handy, I still suggest you purchase a Baofeng UV5R off Amazon or eBay for ~$25 as they are a no-nonsense must have item in crisis scenario. Actually, each member of the family should have one.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

There is no iron clad guarantee any information coming across the radio is accurate, but you can assume the there is some one live making the transmission.
    Amateur radio is some what more reliable especially if you know the people you are talking to.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Picked up one of these the other day?

Phone 11-23-19 044.

3M-TA3 and ghrit like this.
  14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Working on your ticket Gator? (Can't find my call list, dern it, you might already be there.)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Lol,This I will have to take time and figure out the book,My understanding is a call list for monkeys does exist?

16. jimLE

jimLE Monkey+++

i have a am/fm/noaa radio.i know it'll be useful in the here and now.but that's if a thunderstorm blow's in and the light's go out..if not a similar situation. but if a shtf situation happens.unless i find a station up n running.it'll be a paper weight with batteries. which is good.on account it'll recharge the batteries with the solar panel.

17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I think a scanner is a good idea as well especially as things deteriorate a scanner can do the hunting for any live signals . It may take more than one and probably a tunable long wire antenna as well.

john316 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

NOAA gives me important tide and wind information. I have a portable radio that only gets NOAA.

During Hurricane Florence we were down to one distant FM station as most were on generator power and ran out of fuel.

When the power is out, any information is comforting. Too easy to get to do without.

john316 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I guess it depends on the event. in 89 rain came after the quake, not big deal right, but it adds weight to already damaged structures, concert absorbs it so may be important.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7