How long can you store kerosene?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Bear, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I have always been told that the more refined petroleum products are, the shorter the "shelf life"...

Based on that, I would expect that kerosene should last longer than diesel...and heating oil should last longer than either.

2. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Thanks for the info, ghrit. Now I see why the white gas had no issues with long term storage.

I am currently shopping for an MSR XGK multi-fuel stove that will burn both gasoline and diesel. I imagine it's OK for kerosene too.

Byte

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

"Refined" is the term in question. You are correct, if refining includes/considers the additives that are put in for various things (as in gasoline oxydizers and smog control chemicals.) Not true if you limit the meaning to ensuring the uniformity of the distillate cut.

4. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

I did a little research on this last year and came to the conclusion that Pri-D would work well for Kero, like the link posted above states it is safe to use for kero in indoor heaters. It also says you can use it to revitalize kero that doesn't burn like it should.

5. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Thanks ... just gotta find a local source for Pri-D...
    I like Kero... picked up an old kero stove for hurricane season...

6. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

I bought mine on Amazon, if you want to find a local reseller you could contact the Pri-D company and they can tell you what stores would carry it, it might be in Home Depot or something like that.

7. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

I use PRI D with no problems. Tested it out in a kero lantern with a CO detector hanging right above it. No odor, no CO.
    A small container (8 oz?) treats 256 gallons, so the quantity / gallon is rather low. IOW, I won't hesitate to use in kero that I'm burning indoors. I'd be even less worried in a situation where my life depended on it.

Now kerosene itself is rather nasty. Every time I run my heaters, I feel as though I smoked a pack or two of Camels. But hey, It's all a compromise.

Honestly, I think Kerosene will last almost indefinitely. The type of combustion taking place in a heater or lantern (wick) doesn't require much from the fuel.

As always, these are opinions and YMMV.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7