1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

How long will vacuum sealed O2 absorbers last?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Ajax, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

I have some O2 absorbers that were in a clear vacuum sealed plastic bag, I bought them a year or so ago and never opened the bag. Are they still good or do they go bad like that if they aren't in a metalized bag? I took them out and put them in a mason jar.
  2. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Monkey+

probably dead - most jar seals aren't good enough ..... same with zip lock bags ....... use them or lose em
  3. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Moderator Moderator Founding Member

Keep them in a vacuum seal bag (like foodsaver) and they should last. Basically my understanding is they are good until they have absorbed all the O2 they can.

I made my storage bag oversized so as I cut it open and put what I need out I can quickly reseal it. The ones I'm using go into a mason jar until they are actually put in with product, usually just a few minutes.
  4. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

From what I've read a new mason jar should be better for sealing something air tight over an extended period of time than a clear seal a meal bag, does that sound right?

I have another post about this but the O2 absorbers don't really for a tight vacuum, they still remove O2 and that's the main thing but I think I was confused on how much it will form a vacuum after you seal the bag.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary