How long will vacuum sealed O2 absorbers last?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Ajax, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

I have some O2 absorbers that were in a clear vacuum sealed plastic bag, I bought them a year or so ago and never opened the bag. Are they still good or do they go bad like that if they aren't in a metalized bag? I took them out and put them in a mason jar.

2. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

probably dead - most jar seals aren't good enough ..... same with zip lock bags ....... use them or lose em

3. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Keep them in a vacuum seal bag (like foodsaver) and they should last. Basically my understanding is they are good until they have absorbed all the O2 they can.

I made my storage bag oversized so as I cut it open and put what I need out I can quickly reseal it. The ones I'm using go into a mason jar until they are actually put in with product, usually just a few minutes.

4. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

From what I've read a new mason jar should be better for sealing something air tight over an extended period of time than a clear seal a meal bag, does that sound right?

I have another post about this but the O2 absorbers don't really for a tight vacuum, they still remove O2 and that's the main thing but I think I was confused on how much it will form a vacuum after you seal the bag.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7